Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 12:01 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, too, why Tucson voters didn't pass the bonds. I voted yes on all of them, but, alas, to no avail. On the other hand, here in Oro Valley, our mayor encourages and supports new housing and commercial development. Oro Valley is expanding and growing, which many residents think is fantastic, and that the mayor and city council are brilliantly managing growth without increased taxation. Not sure I like all the expansion in OV, but when the city bought the El Conquistador for our new Community Center, it sounded like a horrible idea, yet, it's turned out to be a huge success. So, I guess I don't understand why Tucson voters are anti-growth, anti-improvement when the rest of Pima County (Marana Outlet Mall) seems to be growth and improvement oriented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 09:48 AM

344 posts, read 551,154 times
Fox isn't conservative, it's corporate. It exists to sway good-hearted but trusting people into voting and acting against their own interests to the benefit of large corporations. It is the epitome of anti-American. It spins so much it has to be getting dizzy by now.

I invite you to read as many different news sources as you can, and then be fair and balanced yourself about judging what you've read. Decide on your own how the world is and be prepared to change your view when new information arises. For example, read the New York Times for one week, then watch Fox again. Don't believe what others say, see and judge for yourself. It's the way to be free in the land of the free.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:48 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
So, I guess I don't understand why Tucson voters are anti-growth, anti-improvement when the rest of Pima County (Marana Outlet Mall) seems to be growth and improvement oriented.
It was a Pima county vote not a Tucson vote. Only about 30% of people voted. Obviously those who opposed the bonds were those who voted.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:11 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedy View Post
\................ For example, read the New York Times for one week, then watch Fox again. Don't believe what others say, see and judge for yourself. It's the way to be free in the land of the free..................
Good advice. Except I don't think the New York Times is a reputable news source.

IF the New York Times cannot even apologize for their role in the murder of 10 million people....they are NOT a reputable news source.

Articles: Crimes of the NY Times

Don't pick one liberal or conservative source. Read as many as you can. A good source is:

RealClearPolitics - Opinion, News, Analysis, Video and Polls

They print current articles on current issues from both liberal and conservative sources.

I am surprised that people think government investment in a community is a conservative/liberal issue. I have lived in liberal communities that just talked.....and conservative communities that passed bond issues for schools, libraries, and constructed municipal fiber systems for their residents.

The key issue is people committed to their communities. It has little to do with their political orientation.

Don't believe the media hype.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:09 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
It was a Pima county vote not a Tucson vote. Only about 30% of people voted. Obviously those who opposed the bonds were those who voted.
I know it was a Pima county vote. I guess I don't understand how the same people who voted against the bond issues that would improve their services can approve a community center supported by tax increases. Hopefully, the anti-tax voters won't whine when their roads don't get fixed, and the libraries don't have money for programs, or many of the other things that would have benefited them don't happen.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:57 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I moved to Pima County back in January.

When the bond issue was announced, I did some research.

First, I listened to Ray Carroll's (District 4 Board of Supervisors) presentation to the Green Valley Council. He provided those in attendance with a listing of the 99 different projects that made up the $800M bond levy broken down by each of the seven different propositions.

Second, I attended the public meeting held three weeks prior to the election. There were three speakers - one in favor of all the propositions, one against all of the propositions, and the head of the Sahuarita - Green Valley Chamber of Commerce. Personally, I did not feel that any of them made a compelling argument. The PRO side tried to make the audience believe that all the projects were necessary (you got to be kidding that the county really needs a velodrome or a 12th Ave. Historical Culinary District). The ANTI side tried to say that they would not totally opposed to a bond levy BUT this one was too big. I think that argument was disingenuous because the presenter seemed to oppose nearly every provision in the package. The Chamber of Commerce guy only favored those items that helped the southern portion of the county.

I read all of the mailings from the Board of Elections.

After three weeks, I decided to vote for two and against five of the propositions. I think that there were a few items that I would like to have seen passed (like the Sahuarita library) in those five propositions BUT the overwhelming majority of the projects were pork projects for small constituencies that made little sense in these economic times.

Before attending the meetings, I was inclined to vote FOR all seven of the proposals until I saw what the funds were earmarked for. I have no intention of voting for any future bond levies that include massive acquisitions of land, velodromes, large welcome centers, culinary corridors, and the like.

This election may have been on seven proposals but having talked with quite a few people, was a loud vote of "NO CONFIDENCE" in the current leadership of Pima County.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:23 AM

612 posts, read 1,021,007 times
I don't agree with you about the bond issues, jlawrence01, but it's a real treat to read your post about how you voted and why. That kind of conversation is in short supply around here. Thumbs fully up, keep standing for what you believe in.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:29 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beTucsonan View Post
I don't agree with you about the bond issues, jlawrence01, but it's a real treat to read your post about how you voted and why. That kind of conversation is in short supply around here. Thumbs fully up, keep standing for what you believe in.

I do not know which group in Pima County that I am growing more tired of:

The neanderthals who think that there are no legitimate taxes - including roads, police, and schools. Like the guy who interrupted the meeting screaming that the the taxes on his $450k house were driving him to the poor house.

Or the other side that has never seen a project that the taxpayers should not fund.

If the latter groups wants to float another levy with as much pork as this past one, the former group will be easily able to convince those of us in the middle to move to that side.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:24 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Is it more reasonable that voters rejected Pima Co and not the bonds themselves? Some of the projects were good ideas, not all, but voters are easily reminded of soccer fields and other wasteful ventures that the Pima County Administrators chose to divert funds to in the past.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:52 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Oh, I'm quite on topic. It's another Tucson-bashing thread from you, which is also telling it like it is.

Being a moderator does not preclude me from having my own opinions. When I'm posting as a moderator, it will be in red font, to help you distinguish between the two.

If you voted (and I'm going to assume you did, even though you did not address that part), that's all part of a democracy. Sometimes your chosen side doesn't win.
No different than another rose colored, all is lovely post from you. You really should get a grip on accepting contrary opinion. Tucson does a great job shooting itself in the foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson