Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 05:12 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,891,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
You really should get a grip on accepting contrary opinion.
Dear pot, the kettle called...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 08:24 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,529,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo_x View Post
Too many Fox news watchers don’t understand how the world works, and/or are short sighted and don’t want to invest in the future.

There should now be a ban on people complaining about the roads or any other government services here. You don’t get what you don’t pay for.
Your assertion is utterly ridiculous. Pima County went for for Barak Obama in 2008 and 2012. And look at the Tucson election last week. Every Democrat won. So tell me how this is because of Fox News.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:26 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,529,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo_x View Post
The first part is true. I don’t know what people’s problem is then.
The second part is funny. I’m assuming you meant it to be.
Go back and look at the CNBC debate and the FOX Business Channel debate and tell me which was more objective.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:04 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,259,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
We've all read your posts over the last several months about unemployment rates, vacancy rates, etc. Why would you think those all those poor unemployed landlords would vote to raise their taxes?

Gee, Tucson just can't win with you, can it?

The voters spoke. If you had a vote, I hope you used it too.
Yellowbelle, it is not "Tucson bashing," as you put it in another post directed at actinic, for Tucsonans to express complaints about things that are not right here. Tucson has many fine points, but to ignore the many negative aspects and NOT EXPRESS ANY OPINIONS ABOUT CHANGING THINGS is not good citizenship. I, too, was shocked by residents' unwillingness to fund ANY of the bonds. Had they passed, the cost to Tucson property owners would have been an annual charge less than many people spend on a single dinner. And some of the things those bonds were meant to improve are very badly needed.

How can we expect to attract businesses and new residents who aren't retirees if we turn our backs on basic infrastructure improvements, not to mention supporting attractive amenities like libraries and public services?

And speaking of libraries, I went to the Oro Valley Library to make a donation to the Friends of the Library on election week. What did I see there, right in front of the library ON PUBLIC PROPERTY? A sign telling people to vote no on the bond issues. Why on earth is that permitted? One of those bonds would have directed funds to Pima Co. libraries! And the naysayers take it upon themselves not only to express their opinions about this on their own property but use public land to do it? Unacceptable from my way of thinking.

There's a big difference between turning this place into a major metropolis like Phoenix and improving basic aspects of life that effect every resident here in a negative way. If we really want to save money, why don't we just stop collecting the garbage or close ALL the parks?

I am also very disappointed about this thread being turned into a referendum on specific news sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Apparently the voters thought it unnecessary to foster economic development and improve parks, roads, flood control, and tourism.

This must be a great town to live in! Heck, up in Phoenix voters approved $34 billion in bonds solely for transportation. Must be a mess up there.
Thank you for caring about this important issue.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:59 PM

89 posts, read 145,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I am also very disappointed about this thread being turned into a referendum on specific news sources.
That’s my fault, I’m sorry. I was using that as a shorthand for "people who think government is always bad and should be starved".

Old 11-20-2015, 11:40 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,589,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Good advice. Except I don't think the New York Times is a reputable news source.

IF the New York Times cannot even apologize for their role in the murder of 10 million people....they are NOT a reputable news source.

Articles: Crimes of the NY Times

Don't pick one liberal or conservative source. Read as many as you can. A good source is:

RealClearPolitics - Opinion, News, Analysis, Video and Polls

They print current articles on current issues from both liberal and conservative sources.

I am surprised that people think government investment in a community is a conservative/liberal issue. I have lived in liberal communities that just talked.....and conservative communities that passed bond issues for schools, libraries, and constructed municipal fiber systems for their residents.

The key issue is people committed to their communities. It has little to do with their political orientation.

Don't believe the media hype.
Hear, hear!

Old 11-25-2015, 02:08 PM

604 posts, read 929,811 times
I suspect you'll find many more representatives of the liberal point of view on Fox News than you'll see conservatives on the other tv news sources. It is interesting the efforts of the left wing to try and denigrate Fox rather than present credible arguments on issues.

Much of this effort is discussed in (liberal) Kirsten Power's book "Silencing". Her thesis is proved on these pages.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:19 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,130,363 times
I've lived in Pima Co. over 20 yrs. Several times there have been bond votes for things like road improvement. When passed the money is always diverted for other stuff like MORE soccer fields, baseball parks rarely if ever used. No wonder they are voted down.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:10 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,115,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
I've lived in Pima Co. over 20 yrs. Several times there have been bond votes for things like road improvement. When passed the money is always diverted for other stuff like MORE soccer fields, baseball parks rarely if ever used. No wonder they are voted down.
I have come to the conclusion that it is unlikely that any bond levy will pass in this county unless there is a change in the leadership.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:49 PM

301 posts, read 294,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
The Tucson metro area is far more liberal than the Phoenix metro area, yet the more conservative Phoenix area generally votes in favor of such bonds. And Fox News is fair and balanced while the rest are far left wing, regardless of what any Democrat wants you to believe.
Fox News ... Fair and Balanced.... That is one of the funniest things I've read here in a long time. You completely discredited yourself..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson