U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 03:01 PM

14,196 posts, read 23,882,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor B View Post
Thanks again, everyone--keep the advice coming--I can use it all.

JLawrence, we are at that point with the current car--keep putting money into it or get a newer car? We need to get a newer car. If someone is handy mechanically, they could probably keep this one going, but we're not.

I am just saying that you should hold the car until the car needs the next major repair. At that point, dump it.

For example, years ago, I drove my K-car to 192k and then the mechanic told me that the steering rods were shot and would cost $1400. The next day, I would have been looking at a car if we had not decided to go to one car.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 05:32 PM

46 posts, read 33,242 times
Yup--we're there. ;-> 229,000 miles and a pending repair. I wish we could go to one car, that would be the best option for us, but we can't right now.

I'm going to take a walk through the dealerships tomorrow (thanks for the list, everyone), see if there's anything they want to dump, from a 2015 to a car that's been a trade-in but isn't too old. I always have my mechanic check out the car before anything is final (good advice, thank you). I probably won't find anything tomorrow, but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I am just saying that you should hold the car until the car needs the next major repair. At that point, dump it.

For example, years ago, I drove my K-car to 192k and then the mechanic told me that the steering rods were shot and would cost $1400. The next day, I would have been looking at a car if we had not decided to go to one car.

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:58 PM

613 posts, read 767,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I drove my K-car to 192k
Off-topic, but is that in a museum now? 92k would be hugely impressive for one of those things ... but 192k? Wow.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:28 AM

14,196 posts, read 23,882,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beTucsonan View Post
Off-topic, but is that in a museum now? 92k would be hugely impressive for one of those things ... but 192k? Wow.

When you are driving 65 miles one way to work five days a week, the miles pile up.

I think that I replaced the valve cover gasket seven times and the CV boots at least six times. It is amazing what you will do when you are broke.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:07 AM

JLAwrence, I completely get it, lol. We just replaced the CV boots, brakes, oxygen sensor, and new tires all this year. I just didn't want to buy again as we are still rebuilding after the recession.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:55 AM

4,787 posts, read 4,893,732 times
In late November I also was looking for a not-too-used car for my daughter.

I discovered that used cars are not cheap. For example, a Toyota Camry with 100K miles on it sells for $10K

Most 3 year old used cars are rental returns,or they have been wrecked and repaired, or they have been transferred for sale from a flooded area. A private lease return is kept by the dealer and sold for a too high price.

So I gave up. I bought a new car through Costco. We were able to get a 2016 Hyundai Elantra for $15K

That car includes a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty, a 5 year roadside assistance warranty and a 10 year engine/transmission warranty.

If you want a Subaru, an Impreza hatch costs about $19K.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:20 PM

Vision67, thanks! I was just looking at Costco, as we are members.

The best thing I found yesterday was a upgraded Ford Escape with about 28000 miles for about $20,000. It was one owner, not a rental, according to the carfax. I'm just not sure I want to go that high, although we could if we really needed to--like you, I kind of think I ought to just buy new at that price.

What was it like working with Costco? Do you work with a human, or is it just a webpage? At the least, I could use that price as a starting point for negotiations.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:09 AM

4,787 posts, read 4,893,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor B View Post
Vision67, thanks! I was just looking at Costco, as we are members.

The best thing I found yesterday was a upgraded Ford Escape with about 28000 miles for about $20,000. It was one owner, not a rental, according to the carfax. I'm just not sure I want to go that high, although we could if we really needed to--like you, I kind of think I ought to just buy new at that price.

What was it like working with Costco? Do you work with a human, or is it just a webpage? At the least, I could use that price as a starting point for negotiations.
Buying through Costco was very easy. You just send them an e-mail and they connect you with a dealer for the brand of car you want. That dealer contacts you with an offer.

The Costco price is a set price that is lower than the Truecar.com price. In my case, the Truecar.com price was $15,483 and the Costco price was $14,997.

It's by far the easiest way to buy a car.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:21 PM

9 posts, read 6,301 times
Angry Do NOT Buy A USED FORD....

A Used Ford With 28K miles is just about to cost you an arm and a leg in repairs. After a Ford reaches each 35,000 miles you just about have to rebuild them, That is EACH and Every 35,000 miles. GM's make GREAT Cars that Last, and To Me, They "NEVER" Break Down, But parts will ware out after many many miles of Trouble-Free Driving. I have Already owned 71 Vehicles and GM's have Always been the most dependable that I have owned. Fords are Always the WORST. F-O-R-D really means "Fix Or Repair Daily". Even my accountant friend has a 2005 Ford 500 that he bought 4 years old with just 13,000 miles on it (He thought was a great deal) for $13,000. Well He (as an Accountant) keeps EVERY repair reciept, and SO FAR he has spent 4 Times the Purchase price (in total) for Repairs to keep this FORD Running and trying to stop the Oil Leaks. YES, 4 Times the Purchase Price ($51,000) since 2009 in Repairs and he only has 90,000 miles on it now in 2016. FORD's Are JUNK. Buy a GM or HONDA, TOYOTA, or KIA with a 10 year/100,000 mile warrenty. GOOD LUCK on your car buying Search, But Save yourself a Fortune...No Ford's.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:55 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,092,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie5569 View Post
GM's make GREAT Cars that Last, and To Me, They "NEVER" Break Down, But parts will ware [sic] out after many many miles of Trouble-Free Driving. I have Already owned 71 Vehicles and GM's have Always been the most dependable that I have owned.
GM = GOVERNMENT MOTORS.

TAXPAYERS BEWARE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or