Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I swear there IS something to it! I was thinking recently, too, that it appears the northern parts of a city are always the more affluent ones... Countries seem to follow the same pattern: North: good to make a living, but boring; South: fun, but hard to make a living...
Interesting.

I know that here in the Seattle area the East is best side, followed by the North, then the West, and lastly the South End.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 20,643 times
Default Tucson Apts

Anywhere on the south side!
Anywhere in Midvale Park!
Check out the crime statistics for an area.
Anywhere north of River-much better!

A good way to check out apartments: Look at the cars parked outside.
Lots during the day-people not working. The types of cars tell you a lot.

Be careful, old cars look good out here, they don't rust!

Old 08-21-2008, 12:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlebrit View Post
The types of cars tell you a lot.
Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying that poverty HAS to equal crime, but it does more often than not...

Old 08-22-2008, 12:03 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pac10devils View Post
Move to the north, eastside, or towards the foothills. Stay away from south Tucson as it is known to be bad. It's trashy, gang infested and stinks of raw sewage.

C'mon! Tell us how you really feel, devil...

Old 08-22-2008, 12:24 PM

522 posts, read 1,568,854 times
Funny how that is. here in the Chicago area, all of the highest priced and most upsacle towns are on the north side too. The water flow thing does sound like it could be the reason.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:38 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_lost View Post
You always learn as you go through life... and after buying many homes in various states I can honestly say ALWAYS get something in the North/Northwest or North/NorthEast... that is the simple fact of where "upcoming" areas move...

It's weird because I was on the ABQ forum and they all seem to say north or north east is the way to go.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

It is almost the same in So Cal area, going north seems to get you into some better neighborhoods. Not entirely true, because going far south has some good areas as well.

Oh well just contradicted myself

Old 06-22-2011, 01:20 PM

6 posts, read 16,922 times
stay away from 29th street.....36th/campbell .areas and....southtucson. high crime areas.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:13 PM

44 posts, read 89,991 times
We LOVE Rita Ranch. Housing is affordable, good sense of community, parks, shopping, Vail School System. Vail is great too for the money, but we found it too far from, like, grocery stores! LOL Still, nice sized lots that are great if you have horses. And ah, the stars...

We've only been here two years so don't know much about the rest of Tucson, but yeah, raw sewage smell is definitely a problem close to downtown! Blech

Read a local newspaper online, stream some local radio, get a feel for it and you'll do fine!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:05 PM

444 posts, read 1,351,761 times
Wow, it's really funny to come back to this thread now and read that stuff like "Look how much my home value has gone up!"
Maybe it was just the greed that blinded us to the inevitable. People would always try to convince me to buy and say that I was throwing my money away as a renter...

Old 07-21-2011, 02:55 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coatimundi View Post
Wow, it's really funny to come back to this thread now and read that stuff like "Look how much my home value has gone up!"
Maybe it was just the greed that blinded us to the inevitable. People would always try to convince me to buy and say that I was throwing my money away as a renter...
And you could STILL be throwing your money away as renter (as opposed to a buyer) - it all depends on how much a buyer pays, what his interest rate is, and (most importantly) how long he stays in the house. Assuming the buyer buys relatively early in life and simply pays down the mortgage (rather than use the house as a "piggy-bank") at some point he's no longer going have a house payment. Can you say the same about your RENT?

The downside to buying of course is that you could be stuck for a while "upside down" and thus unable to move - which is certainly NOT true for renters (though of course the owners of the rental unit you're in can always decide to tear the place down and redevelop it - which would mean you are kicked out).

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson