Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2016, 03:33 PM

49 posts, read 128,233 times

Advertisements

Hi all!! I live in the winter wonderland of Midwestern Wisconsin. Im in my mid 30s and have a family of 6 with children, 19,14, 8, and 4. My husband and I have been trying to get out of this state for 10 years now and are finally ready to go for it. We know we want somewhere warm and were shooting for California, but with all the recent issues and price we have looked away.
We always thought Arizona was to desert like for us because we like fresh produce, gardening ect. However we haven't ruled it out cause we want warm weather. After my search of some cities Tucson seems like a fit. The cost of living calculation says it is 2% cheaper than where we currently live. I've looked at rent and it also looks comparable. My husband has an Associate Degree and is an electromechanical technician. I have a degree in Paralegal and Associate in Business Management. The job market here is terrible and we are hoping we can find better paying jobs.
So while we like Tucson a good friend of mine said she was there for two weeks a couple years ago and she hated it . She doesn't think that we will like it and she knows me. She said the worst was the rude people and the sense of no community. I will be traveling to Arizona in 4 months to check out the area. I will be arriving with an aunt who is moving to Scottsdale and she said I can stay with her. I looked into Scottsdale and the price of rent and living is kind of high so not sure about area for us. So basically I would like some more information on Tucson and other cities so I can visit and check them out when I'm there. Tucson closely matched what I think we are looking for and I'll tell you why.

Weather- Sunshine! I need it. Like almost on a daily basis. No more snow. I've lived threw enough blizzards and -30 below days.

Local Organic Foods- We like to eat fresh and healthy foods. Local co-ops farmers markets are important.

Activities- Hiking, biking, swimming, wildlife surroundings.

Culture-Live music. Alternative, indie, jazz, hippie esq lifestyle. Not trustfund hippies or dirty hippies. Like the new age type hippies, but not to be confused with hipsters (not that hipsters are bad, culture. we want culture.)

Location- Would like the privacy of living in the country or suburban area, but in walking distance to store or other shops plus public transportation (is this possible anywhere).

Social Atmosphere We are nonreligious but are spirituality minded. We would love to be in an environment with like minded individuals. Friends to have real thought provoking conversations about everything and anything. Conspiracy theorist are my favorite? Used bookstores and coffee shops are great places to unwind.

Jobs - Are there any? And what do they pay? My husband would be looking for a job anywhere where there is industrial equipment or electrical/mechanical maintenance needed. I have an associate degree in business management and paralegal . Not much law office experience, which most require. More of a customer service and office management skill set for experience. I would love a creative oriented job, or managing a organic market, anything to do with natural products, or returning to law office preferably helping indignant people .

Good People-There are going to be unfriendly and "bad" people everywhere. I just want to be able to let my children play outside without the worry of them being gunned down, stolen, offered drugs or hit by a car. People you can look in the eye and say hello to when you walk down the street. Have a conversation at the local market. I like to keep to myself, but I also like to compliment the cashier or start a conversation with the produce manager.

Money-We aren't rich. Poor in fact with student debt. We would like to rent a place for around $1200 probably a 3 to 4 bedroom. We don't need alot of space, but the kitchen is important to us. And a backyard where the neighbors can't see me or complain about music. Possibly we could afford more depending on job pay. Tucson looks like they might pay around $70,000 for my husbands profession, when now he only makes $45,000.

Shopping- I love thrift and second hand shops. Handmade items and local co-ops, farmers markets. I also like my TJ max, Hot topic for the fashionesta side of me.

Size of City- Not looking to move to a huge area 500,000 is alot of people, but as long as it is spread out I think it would be ok. Other wise if the population is denser I think 250,000 would be the biggest. But size isn't a huge factor- however crime is though. The lower the better.

SOOO....does it sound like Tucson would be a place we would like? What other cities would fit our interests in Arizona? I would like to visit as many places as possible starting with Scottsdale. Any suggestions and why would be HIGHLY Appreciated. THANKS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 04:21 PM

612 posts, read 1,021,007 times
I'll have a go at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcrystal View Post
The job market here is terrible and we are hoping we can find better paying jobs.
The job market here is also terrible. I don't say that to entirely discourage you, but just to make sure you know what you are getting into. The common advice is to make sure you've found a job before moving, since this is not the kind of place you can depend upon finding something quickly. There are jobs, but the payscale is usually regarded as low, and there is a lot competition for the good jobs. Both of you should be able to find something, though.

Quote:
She doesn't think that we will like it and she knows me. She said the worst was the rude people and the sense of no community.
I don't know where in Tucson your friend was, but this review is odd. A lot of visitors plant themselves on the outskirts of town (at a nice resort, for example, or with a friend in the suburbs) and hang around with people well outside of the community. I'm not saying that's what your friend did, but it would explain her review.

Quote:
Just a fair warning on the swimming front - we have a shortage of "natural" places to swim for many parts of the year. You can drive to lakes (about 1-1/2 hours to the nearest for swimming) in the warmer months, though. There is no shortage of pools.

Quote:
Culture-Live music. Alternative, indie, jazz, hippie esq lifestyle. Not trustfund hippies or dirty hippies. Like the new age type hippies, but not to be confused with hipsters (not that hipsters are bad, culture. we want culture.)
The music and arts scenes here are thriving. We have all manner of hippies, and a few hipsters. It's all good.

Quote:
Location- Would like the privacy of living in the country or suburban area, but in walking distance to store or other shops plus public transportation (is this possible anywhere).
"Walking distance" is a foreign term to much of Tucson unless you are right in the middle of the city. You can certainly find a place that is near enough to a shopping center, and if that fulfills your needs, great, but be aware that this city isn't much of a walking town in general.

Quote:
Social Atmosphere We are nonreligious but are spirituality minded. We would love to be in an environment with like minded individuals. Friends to have real thought provoking conversations about everything and anything. Conspiracy theorist are my favorite? Used bookstores and coffee shops are great places to unwind.
I don't know much about non-religious spirituality, but I do know I hear the words being thrown around quite a lot. There are lots of coffee shops and used bookstores as well. You should be in good shape here.

Quote:
Good People-
There is no shortage of good folks in Tucson. It's not a town for outright niceties (not a lot of smiles from strangers as you pass them), but when it comes down to it that is a part of their genuine nature. If you need anything, watch the line form.

Quote:
Money-We aren't rich. Poor in fact with student debt. We would like to rent a place for around $1200 probably a 3 to 4 bedroom.
This dollar amount will let you find what you want.

Quote:
Shopping- I love thrift and second hand shops. Handmade items and local co-ops, farmers markets. I also like my TJ max, Hot topic for the fashionesta side of me.
There is lots of thrifting to be done here. Check out the vintage shops along 4th Avenue, for example. We have TJ Maxx, and - unfortunately - malls with Hot Topics.

Quote:
Size of City- Not looking to move to a huge area 500,000 is alot of people, but as long as it is spread out I think it would be ok. Other wise if the population is denser I think 250,000 would be the biggest. But size isn't a huge factor- however crime is though. The lower the better.
Well ... yeah - the city is the size the city is. It is very spread out though - the downtown and University areas being some of the only real dense, "urban" spaces. Much of Tucson feels like advanced suburbia.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:11 PM

Thanks so much for your input. It sounds like Tucson may be the area we will focus on . I would really appreciate any other opinions about other cities in Arizona. I have been forewarned to stay away from Phoenix by a couple people. I was also advised that Flagstaff and Scottsdale are for snowbirds or tourists. Any other cities recommended for me to scope out?

ANYONE ELSE CARE TO COMMENT? THANKS

Old 01-25-2016, 12:15 PM

344 posts, read 551,154 times
I suggest a toe-in-the-water approach. Rent a home month to month, look around a lot, keep other options open on the other burners JIC. People will aim here and then land in PHX or environs because jobs. PHX is arguably the worst physical location in AZ (yeah I've been to Yuma), but it has economic density.

Tucson would be in many people's list of first choices if there was more paying work there.

Do your homework in person. It is possible, but it will be different than we say or what you think.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:04 AM

93 posts, read 143,499 times
I find it hilarious how a person, spending merely 2 weeks as a tourist can form such a strong opinion:

Quote:
a good friend of mine said she was there for two weeks a couple years ago and she hated it . She doesn't think that we will like it and she knows me. She said the worst was the rude people and the sense of no community
A place is what you make of it.

I'm fairly close to you, Geneva, IL, and we're dying to get the hell out of here. Our house is on the market for months, waiting for the right buyer, we're in no rush. We suffered in IL enough and we're ready to move out.

I've been to Tucson for 3 weeks past June, it was 115 degrees (loved every minute of it) and the whole Tucson metro area is gorgeous! So unique, so flat, such beautiful landscape, the mountains are breath-taking. There are pluses and minuses in every place you'll be, but taking advise from someone that's been a tourist in a place for 2 weeks, please... you should be smarter than that...

We have 3 kids: 15, 6, and 1, and we're in the same boat as you are.

Difference is I'm already working for a company located in Tucson (working remotely from home until we sell the house and move).

Great advice from previous posters.

Also, you have to spend some time there and get a feel for what you like and don't like, the different areas in Tucson can have completely different feel.

We liked Marana (new builds) and Oro Valley (great views but congested roads), yet disliked Sahuarita (mainly cause of distance to the city where my office will be).

You have to be there and form your own opinion.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:54 PM

58 posts, read 143,526 times
Quote:

Weather- Sunshine!

Check! 286 days a year

Local Organic Foods- We like to eat fresh and healthy foods. Local co-ops farmers markets are important.

Check! There are TONS of year-round, weekly farmer's markets spread throughout the city

Check, check, check, check

Damn, you're sure particular about your hippies! (I consider myself a regular old hippie, with the emphasis on "old", and it's one of the reasons I chose Tucson for retirement)

Depends on what you call "walking distance." I live in NE Tucson and am within a mile of a number of restaurants and shopping, but I only walk when my car is in the shop

Hard for me to weigh in on, as I've been here almost three years now and still only know my realtor and a few neighbors. I completely share your desire for such, though!

Jobs - Are there any? And what do they pay? My husband would be looking for a job anywhere where there is industrial equipment or electrical/mechanical maintenance needed. I have an associate degree in business management and paralegal . Not much law office experience, which most require. More of a customer service and office management skill set for experience. I would love a creative oriented job, or managing a organic market, anything to do with natural products, or returning to law office preferably helping indignant people .

I gave up looking

Good People-There are going to be unfriendly and "bad" people everywhere. I just want to be able to let my children play outside without the worry of them being gunned down, stolen, offered drugs or hit by a car. People you can look in the eye and say hello to when you walk down the street. Have a conversation at the local market. I like to keep to myself, but I also like to compliment the cashier or start a conversation with the produce manager.

There are more good people than bad here. (And everywhere) Naturally, some neighborhoods are going to be safer than others.

Money-We aren't rich. Poor in fact with student debt. We would like to rent a place for around $1200 probably a 3 to 4 bedroom. We don't need alot of space, but the kitchen is important to us. And a backyard where the neighbors can't see me or complain about music. Possibly we could afford more depending on job pay. Tucson looks like they might pay around $70,000 for my husbands profession, when now he only makes $45,000.

Very do-able

TONS of second-hand shops. I was blown away by how many Goodwill stores there are here! (Though there ae plenty of other options aside from Goodwill.) And for first-hand goods, there's everything from TJMaxx to Tiffany's and everything in between

The population of Tucson is crazy spread out! Crazy, I tell you!

SOOO....does it sound like Tucson would be a place we would like? What other cities would fit our interests in Arizona? I would like to visit as many places as possible starting with Scottsdale. Any suggestions and why would be HIGHLY Appreciated. THANKS.
I think you'll love Tucson. The only other cities I can think of that might be a better fit politically are Tubac and Bisbee, but my guess is finding decent jobs in either of those cities would be tougher than in Tucson. Also, they're both a lot colder!

Old 02-12-2016, 04:17 PM

Thanks for your input. I agree 2 weeks really isn't enough time to get a feel for a place. I myself also love the heat....I would rather smolder to death than freeze. It's awesome that you already are working and can continue it when you move. I am going down to AZ in June to start my job search. However, I just found out I will be staying in the Scottsdale area due where my relative is living . So it looks like I may possibly have to relocate closer to the east valley area at first until I can find something closer in Tuscon. Can I ask where you work or what your profession is ? Thanks for your help.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:27 PM

Thanks DebBho! I love all hippies!! And the old ones are the most knowledgeable. I sounds like a job may be potentially the biggest obstacle or downfall for that area so far. I may have to relocate to Scottsdale-Tempe- east valley area for employment when I first get to Arizona if I want to stay there. Then hopefully will be able to check out different cities and see what I like and don't. Thanks for your input!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson