U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 02:49 PM

14,206 posts, read 23,894,002 times

Advertisements

You have pretty much nailed Green Valley which is about 20 miles south of Tucson. I think that you will pretty much find what you need BUT MOST parts are 55+.

http://www.gvrec.org/

However, if you need to commute daily to Phoenix, that is NOT really doable. However, I would also NOT recommend commuting to Phoenix from Tucson. While the roads are fine, generally, that commute is 100+ miles and will wear on anybody over time.

If I had a job where I would need to dead to Phoenix a couple of times a month, I would hire one of the Mexican shuttles located up and gown 6th Ave. in Tucson that have 100-200 shuttle buses that run from Nogales, AZ/SN, through Tucson to Phoenix.

If all else fails, there is always Casa Grande which is about 30 miles south of Phoenix.

=======================

I read your other post over on the Phoenix side.

The Tucson bus system is useful and extremely inexpensive. I believe that a bus pass costs $42 a month for unlimited rides. However, you have to select a home near thej bus line to use it. If you find a place in Green Valley or Oro Valley, you will NOT be happy with the bus serice. If you live in Tucson proper, it probably will work.

Last edited by jlawrence01; 01-24-2016 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 04:01 PM

4,521 posts, read 3,597,002 times
I'd say the farthest that would be tolerable for commuting to Phoenix would be Casa Grande... Most people who live in Casa Grande live there because they need to work in both Tucson and Phoenix for whatever reason. It's about the halfway point, though somewhat closer to Phoenix.

Remember that if you live in Tucson what can be a 20 to 30 minute drive on the streets there can be 10 in Phoenix. If you were to try to make this commute from Tucson and you don't live near the freeway since most people don't... it will easily take more than 2 hours to get to Phoenix. Actually probably closer to 3 or 3 1/2 depending on where in Phoenix you need to go.

If you do look at Phoenix I think you would like the Cave Creek area the most, I suggest looking there, as far as the Valley goes it has the best cacti and overall scenery IMO.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:19 PM

13 posts, read 10,080 times
Thank you both, lots of good help here so far!

Old 01-24-2016, 04:22 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,774,829 times
My advice is to worry about the job. Once that problem is solved, either city has plenty of nice areas.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:54 PM

I'm plenty worried! My husband, not so much You're right, that is the big issue.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:13 PM

5,162 posts, read 3,265,895 times
I think you probably can find some/most of the things you are looking for in both metro areas. Neither place might be your perfect/Shangri-La, but like others have said, get that job first in either location and there will be more than enough people on these boards to help find that location you are dreaming of.

It's like your putting the cart before the horse. I realize you probably wanted people to help you decide/choose/eliminate one place over the other now, so then you could just focus on looking for jobs in one local, but I would just deploy a huge net and have your husband apply for work in both metropolitan areas.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:20 PM

14,206 posts, read 23,894,002 times
You don't say where you are from but one warning. Most Arizona employees realize that there are a lot of people - especially older ones - who want to relocate south. Add in a lot of military retirees and it depresses salaries quite a bit. While Phoenix has a more robust economy, I have seen any number of people from the Midwest who have not made the move as the salaries cannot support their lifestyle.

Tucson, being an economic basket case, is even worse.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:58 PM

613 posts, read 768,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ16 View Post
Hello, we are planning to move to AZ from the east coast.
Good choice!

Quote:
... we realize that he may not find employment in Tucson ... We gather than commuting between Tucson and Phoenix is common? ...
Wait ... what? No. Don't do this. This is a recipe for sadness.

Quote:
Since I don't work I have some expectations for my home life: I/we want a condo or townhouse with a sense of community and a pool, oriented to adults rather than children; we want to have hiking and biking readily available (30 minutes or less by car); and scenery/views of the desert/saguaros from our home; not a golf community.
All of this is easy ...

Quote:
We are not interested in nightlife and shopping, don't mind that Tucson is "run down" in parts, prefer the desert to forested mountains/lakes, like Hispanic culture, and recognize that Tucson has better air quality. We like a laid-back modest lifestyle.
Again, easy ...

Quote:
It's one of 5 "supercommuter" routes in the USA. Are carpools available?
Again ... what? No. No no no. No.

Look, Tucson would love to have you. It's always great when people make a reasoned decision to move to our fun little city here, but please don't ruin it for yourselves by adding in a commute to Phoenix. That's not a commute, it's a signed and notarized signature on your contract to Most Certainly Regret Moving Here. Let's say your hubby works in a reasonable location in Phoenix - I'll pick Jefferson and 7th for no good reason other than that it's not extreme. And let's say you live in far Northwest Tucson - I'll pick Twin Peaks Road in Marana for no other reason than that it's about as close as you can get to Phoenix and still say you live in Tucson. It's still 99 miles or so. Each way, and across some very heavily trafficked stretches of freeway.

As a realtor I talk to a lot of folks who have relocated or are interested in relocating to Tucson. And I've seen people do what you are proposing here and it has never worked out well, never been a positive experience. Most Tucsonans will hate on me for saying anything good about Phoenix, but if your husband has to work in Phoenix, take a look. There's a lot of good to be found there, and then maybe later on he'll find a job in Tucson and you can move down to paradise (and appreciate it even more, since you've been living in dreaded PHX in the meantime!!!)

Old 01-25-2016, 05:27 AM

Thank you for these responses! We realize that we may end up just finding a place for the shorter term and then moving again within AZ (for any number of reasons: retirement, job change, better home, etc).

Without having visited Phoenix we've had no idea as to whether or not I could be happy there. I have lived in a few of the major cities on the east coast here and it was a dreadful. Our small city has taken a bad turn in several respects over the past decades and while my husband doesn't "feel" it as much since he isn't home as much, my quality of life has become very poor. Since I don't work we have 2 different lifestyles to consider.

For now he was mostly looking at Tucson and we weren't sure just how far afield he could be looking before our quality-of-life compromises aren't acceptable to me. We've gotten a lot of good information about that here! I will be looking at the locations mentioned as alternatives to living in Tucson if that ends up being unrealistic.

Thanks for the advice on salary. We live very frugally and will be downsizing with this move also. We've been following price and salary indices. This will not be a move realizing great financial advantages but not hardship either. The main change, we hope, will be increased happiness

Thanks again for all these helpful comments! more participation is welcome!

Old 01-25-2016, 06:23 AM

114 posts, read 144,165 times
[quote=AZ16;42753429]Hello, we are planning to move to AZ from the east coast. We spent a vacation in Tucson/Mexico fell in love with the Sonoran Desert. My husband is looking for work (he's an architect) and we realize that he may not find employment in Tucson. We did not visit Phoenix.

You may want to take a look at Apache Junction, east of Phoenix. I believe it still has a small town feeling and hard up against the fabulous Superstition Wilderness. I see people riding horses around there all the time. If your husband were to get a job in Mesa or downtown Phoenix, that would not be a bad commute. It also provides a back way to Oro Valley and Tucson through Florence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or