Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 03:28 PM

119 posts, read 126,553 times

Advertisements

Thanks for that reply Marcy. I need to bring my compass with me to look for that north-west corner apartment. Having lived in North Carolina for the last 17 years I think I will find Tucson's climate pleasant. But I can always move after a year, right? In NC we usually had a lot of those big roaches, much slower than the roaches in my grandparents apartment in Queens, NY and they do not scurry away when the lights are turned on. I do not mind the big ones at all, less creepy.

Still deciding on being closer to River Road or downtown near U of A, but patiently waiting till I get down there to get a re-feel for both places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 01:39 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
My son lives in an apartment complex on First Avenue between Limberlost and Wetmore. Very reasonable rates, within walking distance to a lot of venues (he's a walker--challenge his Fitbit -- doesn't own a car or scooter -- does use a bike if it's raining). It's close proximity to the U of A and River Road as well as lots of the bars and restaurants where the college students hang out. You can Google Earth it and see it's next to the Tucson Mall, a Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, and tons of other places...

Old 02-12-2016, 07:13 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Hey, Marcy, you omitted "the biggee" . . .

The Rillito Bike / Walking Trail.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Hey, Marcy, you omitted "the biggee" . . .

The Rillito Bike / Walking Trail.
Here is a link to that trail:

Tucson, AZ: Rillito River Path | Bicycling in Arizona

That is good to know since I was looking at some apartments of the east end of the trail on Craycroft.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:09 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWeiWander View Post
Here is a link to that trail:

That is good to know since I was looking at some apartments of the east end of the trail on Craycroft.
Excellent trail for Biking, Walking and/or Jogging, WuWeiWander.

Most any Apartment, Patio Home or Townhome Complex on or near River Road from I-10 all the way to the Eastside is close to the Rillito Trail. It also continues (with name changes) both South and North on the Westside and South on the Eastside.

I use it almost daily and love it.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:32 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Is there really a big difference in A/C usage being on the ground floor? I live in a third floor (top floor at my place) apartment in the middle of the building, I haven't had to touch my heater or A/C once since roughly September or early October. I try to keep my electric bill low but I noticed my apartment is blazing hot, it was even last month when it was raining, so I usually have the fan on. I would like to open the window but my bedroom has a door for a window so birds and other miscellaneous objects could come in so I can't do that... However, my bedroom faces North and I am thankful for that. My balcony faces South and is mostly shaded so it isn't too bad.

OP utilities are pretty decent here. In the place I live in now my bill has never exceeded $80, even in blazing hot August. Like I said, I haven't had to touch my A/C or heater, and my bill last month was $28 (but I have two roommates who also had to pay that amount as well for a rather large 3 bedroom apartment). My last place it was almost reliably $100 a month only because they charged water since they filtered it for you instead of having hard water straight from the tap, so make sure to read into that when you sign.

OP if you are young, I will tell you that it is way better to live near campus and the Downtown area. With the light rail being there (which runs until I think 2 or 3 am Thursday-Saturday) it will take you almost anywhere you need to go. The downside to this area is that there is not really a grocery store close by. There is a mom-and-pop food co-op with all organic food (blanking on what it's called) on 4th avenue but it's very expensive. Your two options are the Safeway on Broadway and Campbell and Fry's at Grant and 1st, but Safeway also delivers, and they usually give free delivery coupons once a month. Apartments will be a bit more expensive but the location is better and worth it, IMO. If you aren't a drinker or interested in the college scene I would recommend the River Road area instead. As another poster stated, there are some college students up there, but for them it's almost a 30+ minute commute to campus so there are very few of them (it takes me 15 minutes to go a mile and a half so I can only imagine, and this is driving). Ubers will be expensive, I can see it being more than $30 one-way from there to campus and so a lot of the college students who do live near campus won't go up there. Side note, if you do look at this area, make sure to NOT look at student housing, as they will rip you off. There are some non-student housing very close by that are almost half the rent prices...

Old 02-14-2016, 09:05 AM

83 posts, read 219,939 times
Get a place with a REAL A/C unit, NOT a swamp cooler. Beware of places offering "free electricity" as many are swamp (evaporative) cooled. I never actually lived in a place with only a swamp cooler but have been in some older restaurants and facilities with that type of cooling in July/August and believe me it is not pleasant - when humidity is somewhat high and temps are 100+, their cooling capacity is only down to about 80. That may be sufficient for some natives who are used to it, but not the rest of us (when I lived there, I slept with it at 70 year-round. Even in summer, my electricity bill was never north of $80 for my 650 sq. ft. apartment, and about half of that was from an old inefficient refrigerator that never got upgraded). Good luck.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Is there really a big difference in A/C usage being on the ground floor? I live in a third floor (top floor at my place) apartment in the middle of the building, I haven't had to touch my heater or A/C once since roughly September or early October. I try to keep my electric bill low but I noticed my apartment is blazing hot, it was even last month when it was raining, so I usually have the fan on. I would like to open the window but my bedroom has a door for a window so birds and other miscellaneous objects could come in so I can't do that... However, my bedroom faces North and I am thankful for that. My balcony faces South and is mostly shaded so it isn't too bad.

OP utilities are pretty decent here. In the place I live in now my bill has never exceeded $80, even in blazing hot August. Like I said, I haven't had to touch my A/C or heater, and my bill last month was $28 (but I have two roommates who also had to pay that amount as well for a rather large 3 bedroom apartment). My last place it was almost reliably $100 a month only because they charged water since they filtered it for you instead of having hard water straight from the tap, so make sure to read into that when you sign.

OP if you are young, I will tell you that it is way better to live near campus and the Downtown area. With the light rail being there (which runs until I think 2 or 3 am Thursday-Saturday) it will take you almost anywhere you need to go. The downside to this area is that there is not really a grocery store close by. There is a mom-and-pop food co-op with all organic food (blanking on what it's called) on 4th avenue but it's very expensive. Your two options are the Safeway on Broadway and Campbell and Fry's at Grant and 1st, but Safeway also delivers, and they usually give free delivery coupons once a month. Apartments will be a bit more expensive but the location is better and worth it, IMO. If you aren't a drinker or interested in the college scene I would recommend the River Road area instead. As another poster stated, there are some college students up there, but for them it's almost a 30+ minute commute to campus so there are very few of them (it takes me 15 minutes to go a mile and a half so I can only imagine, and this is driving). Ubers will be expensive, I can see it being more than $30 one-way from there to campus and so a lot of the college students who do live near campus won't go up there. Side note, if you do look at this area, make sure to NOT look at student housing, as they will rip you off. There are some non-student housing very close by that are almost half the rent prices...
Yeah, most places I lived the top floor was warmer in both the winter and summer since heat rises.

I am older, 49, but like to be in a mixed community of young and old. I am currently living in what I would say is a heavy retirement community, the average age is 65 here (!) while it is only 33 in Tucson. I really do not like it at all. I like to be around young people but have many friends both older and younger than me. I stay at the RoadRunner Hostel when I am in own so I got a good feel for the downtown area and it seems a bit to much for me on the weekends with the party atmosphere but the weekdays were fine.

Thanks for the tip about avoiding student housing.

Looks like I will be looking in the River Road area and probably getting a scooter once I settle in.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrc5391 View Post
Get a place with a REAL A/C unit, NOT a swamp cooler. Beware of places offering "free electricity" as many are swamp (evaporative) cooled. I never actually lived in a place with only a swamp cooler but have been in some older restaurants and facilities with that type of cooling in July/August and believe me it is not pleasant - when humidity is somewhat high and temps are 100+, their cooling capacity is only down to about 80. That may be sufficient for some natives who are used to it, but not the rest of us (when I lived there, I slept with it at 70 year-round. Even in summer, my electricity bill was never north of $80 for my 650 sq. ft. apartment, and about half of that was from an old inefficient refrigerator that never got upgraded). Good luck.
You win for the best tip! I was afraid of the apartments I was seeing that were offering utilities included. Knew there was probably a catch.

I like it warm and sleep with the windows open so I might actually go for a second floor.

Thanks!

Old 02-14-2016, 04:36 PM

299 posts, read 545,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWeiWander View Post
You win for the best tip! I was afraid of the apartments I was seeing that were offering utilities included. Knew there was probably a catch.

I like it warm and sleep with the windows open so I might actually go for a second floor.

Thanks!
----------------------------
I have lived in a lot of apt complexes. When they said utilities included that meant chiller - water pipes in the walls, water heated in the winter, cooled in summer. That is why you have to wait for management to turn the chiller on before you can use your thermostat. In San Antonio I woke up one morning w/ a black wall (mold). Was taken care of by the time I got home from work, was told there was a pipe leaking behind the wall. Chiller said to be 33% cheaper.

In the past I had been told that hospitals and schools have chiller, and mold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson