U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 09:10 PM

98 posts, read 71,107 times

Advertisements

We are taking a trip to Tucson mid-March prior to relocating there this July. What are the places we should visit to take in the "Tucson Experience?" Our 7 and 5 year-old daughters will be coming along, I'd like to find some things that they will enjoy as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 11:17 AM

4,190 posts, read 11,954,018 times
the standard choices include Sabino Canyon (pretty canyon in the nearby mountains, on public land, fee for parking, hiking, narrated shuttle tram for a fee if you don't want to walk), the Desert Museum (well-run indoor/outdoor exhibits on the local desert plants and animals), San Xavier Mission (still an active church on the nearby Indian reservation from Spanish days), Saguaro National Park (east and west units, hiking, visitor centers), museums and stuff at the University of Arizona, Pima Air and Space Museum.....google all this.....lots more stuff depending on special interests

Old 02-20-2016, 02:05 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,345,361 times
The kids will love the Desert Museum. Despite its name, it's more zoo and botanical garden than "museum".

Old Tucson is also kid friendly

Old 02-22-2016, 08:09 PM

I think the kids will really like the PIMA museum and the Desert Museum. My 7 yr old loves space, and my 5 yr old loves animals.

What about affordable, family-friendly Sonoran cuisine?

Old 02-22-2016, 08:55 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,345,361 times
I'm vegetarian so I've never personally had one, but Sonoran Dogs come to mind when I think of Tucson. Hopefully one of the regulars here can give you a good recommendation!

Chimichangas were supposedly invented here. I'm not sure if that's true and many people claim to be the inventors. Either way, I do like to eat at El Charro.

President Clinton helped put Mi Nidito on the map, before he became such a handsome, slender vegan.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:43 PM

29 posts, read 34,552 times
The Reid Park Zoo is excellent choice for the littler kids - it's not too big and they have giraffe feeding & camel rides. The Pima Air and Space museum is excellent BUT maybe not for younger kids. Mostly you sit on a bus &/or a tram and look out the window at airplanes while a docent tells stories. Very little to experience hands-on. My (then) 9-year old fell asleep.

Desert Museum is also excellent for young kids - lots of room to run. Old Tucson is out that way too, but unless the kids are familiar with old western movies (mine aren't) it's mostly lost on them.

Tucson has a lot of great restaurants. I see someone recommended El Charro and I second that. Egee's is a popular local chain, they offer subs & fries and "egees" that are a kind of slushy that comes in fruity flavors kids like.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltedChez View Post
The Reid Park Zoo is excellent choice for the littler kids - it's not too big and they have giraffe feeding & camel rides. The Pima Air and Space museum is excellent BUT maybe not for younger kids. Mostly you sit on a bus &/or a tram and look out the window at airplanes while a docent tells stories. Very little to experience hands-on. My (then) 9-year old fell asleep.

Desert Museum is also excellent for young kids - lots of room to run. Old Tucson is out that way too, but unless the kids are familiar with old western movies (mine aren't) it's mostly lost on them.

Tucson has a lot of great restaurants. I see someone recommended El Charro and I second that. Egee's is a popular local chain, they offer subs & fries and "egees" that are a kind of slushy that comes in fruity flavors kids like.
Are those the same style of slushees that are all over New Mexico? I was in Las Cruces last fall and they had really thick slushees, pretty much like a milkshake made from sherbet.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:26 AM

29 posts, read 34,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhooker View Post
Are those the same style of slushees that are all over New Mexico? I was in Las Cruces last fall and they had really thick slushees, pretty much like a milkshake made from sherbet.
I'm not familiar with what they are serving in NM, but that sounds like it. People in Tucson buy Eegees for birthday parties and classroom parties by the tub. You scoop it with an ice cream scoop. Going for Eegees is a thing to do around here on a hot day.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:42 AM

5,978 posts, read 5,734,253 times
I was living in Willcox and working there for at least a year before someone told me about Egees's slushy drinks. They are not to be missed if you're going to be in Tucson to live or visit. Good subs, too, I didn't know they had fries there, either.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:49 PM

14,187 posts, read 23,874,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhooker View Post
I think the kids will really like the PIMA museum and the Desert Museum. My 7 yr old loves space, and my 5 yr old loves animals.

What about affordable, family-friendly Sonoran cuisine?

The PIMA Air Museum is rather interesting BUT how long will a 5 year old really be entertained. The docents are really great but they too can go overboard on their favorite aircraft and can get into technical jargon pretty quickly.

The Desert Museum is the place to go. There is a lot to see. Often, there are also native animals that slip into the place also.

Near there is an indoor museum about animals. That place is well air conditioned and is a great place to go to get away from the summer heat.

The Postal History Museum at 1st Ave. and 1st St. near the University is also worth a short visit and is free.

Do remember to pick up a Southern Arizona Attractions Guide ($20) which will give you dozens of 2 for 1 admissions to many of the major attractions. A trip to Pima Air Museum or the Desert Museum will give you a discount that will just about pay for the cost of the book.

=========================

As for food, I am not a real fan of a lot of Tucson restaurants. I tend to save my money for dining in Phoenix and when I travel elsewhere in the country. Here are some of the places I often go to:

BK's Hot Dogs and Tacos on S. 12th Ave. is reputed to be the best Sonoran hot dog around. However, the best one that I ever had was at the Pima Air Museum restaurant. The two are pretty similar, BUT the Pima Air dog uses a larger hot dog which stands up to all the toppings better. The carne asada is quite excellent. Watch out for their "Mexican Coke" as it contains corn syrup instead of real sugar.

Larua's on Broadway has a lot of good Sonoran favorites. I like any of their dishes with the carne seca which they make in-house.

Miss Saigon's is a good Vietnamese restaurant that goes beyond the typical pho dishes. There are three locations around town.

Oregano's pizza serves excellent salads, pizza, and other Italian dishes. They have good sized portions and a pretty nice atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or