U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 12:43 PM

8 posts, read 6,362 times

Advertisements

Hi live in a horrible neighborhood in queens N.Y. and I am looking to leave it I work in IT as well teach computers to senior's. I really want to relocate to Arizona preferably to Tucson, I have a neighbor
who used to live there Was hoping maybe I could get some feed back on the job market in both IT and
retail As I have management experience in big box stores. I really don't want to spend more than $700.00
on a studio apartment, and would like to know if this is realistic number.

I would consider a room mate as I am on a budget I really would appreciate any advise anyone can give me. the neighborhood I live in is like living in a prison.

Regards,
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 01:12 PM

390 posts, read 408,397 times
I am in NY too, I am curious what part of Queens you are living in? Have you considered moving to a different part of Queens? Keep in mind the brutal Tucson summer is just around the corner.

I have not been in Tucson for a while, but $700 should be more than enough for a studio in the Old Pueblo( the city's nickname)

Old 02-21-2016, 06:34 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,495,349 times
Yes, the amount you budget for rent is enough. The question is are there IT jobs suitable for you and, if so, do they pay enough for you? Arizona is a right-to-work state and there is very little corporate culture in Southern Arizona, so the pay scales are very depressed in Pima County. The largest employers here are medical, educational, and governmental, not big profit generators. Have you checked Dice, Monster, Indeed, or Manta to see what the options are in this area? I suspect you will find they are mostly hospital-related.

There are many other posts here about employment in Tucson. Go up to the "Search Forums" box at the top of the page, hit "advanced," type in your topic and check the box for Tucson. I know I've posted the Top 10 employers list at least three times.

Chandler, AZ, a suburb of Phoenix, is currently considered the tech capital of Arizona. They have a pretty well-developed tech corridor (which they call the Silicon Desert) where some large corporations have established facilities (the largest being Intel). The town has some governmental assistance for start-ups, so there are a lot of smaller companies in Chandler, too, not just the biggies.

This article is four years old, but the info in it continues to be true:
Chandler: The Silicon Desert

This article is newer:

ArizonaCommerceVoice: Tech Companies Are Thriving In Arizona: The Lowdown On Arizona's High-Tech Expansion

Old 02-22-2016, 10:25 AM

8 posts, read 6,362 times
[SIZE=5]azmemories[/SIZE] I am in Far Rockaway and Cant afford nor do I want to live in N.Y. any longer.
I would be happy with Any IT or retail position the paid $14-15 per hour I currently have the following Certs
A+ Network+ Security+ Cisco CCENT and Microsoft MCSA. I have a neighbor who has told me how great,
the people are in Tucson so I figured I would start my search here. Either way I plan to make Arizona my future home ASAP. Jukesgrrl thank you for the information.

Regards,
Don

Old 02-22-2016, 09:10 PM

390 posts, read 408,397 times
Even if it was not stated outright by Jukesgrrl, Tucson can be a tough place to find work if you are not in the right field. There are exceptions of course and your possibilities open up if you not dead set on Tucson. Right-to-work generally means well.....PM me if you want my honest opinion.

You stated that you are also open to a position in retail which I am assuming means customer service capacity in a big box store: cashier, etc. There are a lot of big box stores in both Tucson and Phoenix. Do not expect the frequency of mom and pop establishments as in Far Rockaway. It would be something to fall back on if you do not land a job in IT. I would not expect more than minimum wage though.

I think there is a lot of potential here. If you are that unhappy in NYC and want to move to Tucson, it will be a very nice change of pace. The new landscape, the mountains, different climate and maybe friendlier people should make the adjustment exciting. Not sure if you are a beach person and you probably already know that the ocean will not be just a few blocks away (or closer) as it must be Far Rockaway. Tucson is several hours from any ocean.

You are probably looking forward to seeing your friends again.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:10 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,495,349 times
I have a hard time imagining a retail job in Tucson that would pay $15 an hour. I don't even know many retail jobs that are full-time except commission-only sales jobs. I did that for two years in Tucson and made about $12,000 a year before taxes. I only took that job after looking for a corporate/non-profit marketing job for a year with no luck.

One CEO, who interviewed me mainly as a courtesy because we had master's degrees from the same university, told me I would never get a job in Tucson at the level I had back East because "there aren't any."

Every interviewer told me I was over-qualified. It was obvious to me that that remark translated variously as "you're too old," "you didn't go to the U of A," or "we don't actually believe you will be satisfied with a salary of half of what you were making before." I took the sales job, enjoyed it and the low stress enormously, and then the company went bankrupt. There's a little less of that going on now than five years ago, but the job market here isn't growing in anything but minimum wage jobs.

There are call center customer service jobs available here but they are low-paying and more importantly, pretty dead-end. Afni, Geico, Citi Bank, Convergys, Sears, and Agero (roadside assistance) are all here. You didn't mention your age. Those jobs tend to hire younger people. I've never known anyone over 30 who got one. If you're bi-lingual, you're in for sure.

Best of luck but honestly, if I really needed a job I'd be looking in Phoenix, not here.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:15 PM

5,985 posts, read 5,739,485 times
Best of luck but honestly, if I really needed a job I'd be looking in Phoenix, not here.

Ci - but if they had Medical training and experience they might be able ta snag a job there - but that pretty much applies ta anywhere USA.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:31 PM

406 posts, read 291,937 times
FYI, the summers are warm, but I would not say brutal. We are at or near 3,000 ft. above sea level here and the heat is for the most part a dry heat which is much easier to take than 20 degrees cooler in a humid location. In addition, there are places to cool off in the Catalina or Santa Rita mountains. Depending on where you live, these places are maybe 45 minutes away.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:32 PM

12 posts, read 18,932 times
There are some jobs in Tucson for IT, but other commenters are on point when they say that there are more opportunities in PHX (There are some cultural differences to consider as well). I'm a student in information systems at the UofA and the vast majority of my colleagues have moved out of town after graduating. That being said, local companies are usually more than happy to try to keep people here if they can. Not sure if your future involves any additional education, but through the community college and the university there are a lot of ways to make connections, especially in IT. Raytheon, IBM, and a variety of defense contractors come to mind.

$700 should get you a studio apt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson