Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 10:54 AM

124 posts, read 202,796 times

Advertisements

Hello again everyone. After looking around the Arizona forums I've decided maybe the Verde valley maybe isn't for me. Anyway I've become very interested in Tucson lately. FYI I am from Nashville and am sick of 3 straight months of 90 degrees and 50/60% humidity. So my question is this: Tucson summers unbearable, or more comfortable than those of the South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 12:16 PM

406 posts, read 623,460 times
I would say the summers in Tucson are worse than the climate described. Both Tucson and Phoenix are renowned for their "dry heat" which holds very true until mid-July when the monsoon season begins.

There has got to be some flexibility in Nashville being far enough north to be effected by the cool air that comes down from Canada that gives relief to a good portion of the country. Tucson summers really are relentless. From late May through mid-July, it is 100+, but no humidity. The rains cool things off a bit during a late afternoon storm, but the days are humid and maybe NOT AS hot (mid to high 90s). If it is a particularly bad summer, you may be looking at heat through October.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:24 PM

344 posts, read 550,712 times
To know for sure, visit in May and June.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:24 PM

124 posts, read 202,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
I would say the summers in Tucson are worse than the climate described. Both Tucson and Phoenix are renowned for their "dry heat" which holds very true until mid-July when the monsoon season begins.

There has got to be some flexibility in Nashville being far enough north to be effected by the cool air that comes down from Canada that gives relief to a good portion of the country. Tucson summers really are relentless. From late May through mid-July, it is 100+, but no humidity. The rains cool things off a bit during a late afternoon storm, but the days are humid and maybe NOT AS hot (mid to high 90s). If it is a particularly bad summer, you may be looking at heat through October.
It can be in the upper 80s and humid most of the way through October here, so it's not great either

Old 02-24-2016, 01:31 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Note that Tucson is generally affected more by the monsoons than Phoenix, and thus will often be more humid despite the cooler temperature. Don't fall for the myth that Phoenix is more humid due to development; official NOAA records show Tucson having a higher average humidity.

Also, if you decide on Tucson, be warned that compared to Phoenix, Tucson has a higher portion of homes equipped only with swamp coolers instead of air conditioning, since builders in Tucson were slower to make the switch to air conditioning. Be sure to look for a house with air conditioning if you decide to rent or buy.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:05 PM

299 posts, read 545,230 times
I've lived in a number of states, was in San Antonio for 5 years, was miserable with the humidity as in Tampa. Before moving back to Tucson in 2011 I spent 20 years in Phoenix. Yes, it is HOT but I am overall more comfortable here. Go out in the AM or PM, stay in the shade as much as possible, take water with you everywhere you go.

Don't forget to drive with one finger. Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"

Old 02-24-2016, 03:33 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Dry heat is more 'comfortable' than humid heat, but summers in the SW are long.

I would prefer to endure a couple months of torrid humidity than still be in the grip of even dry 90s when October rolls around.

Higher elevation areas in AZ and NM, i.e. not Tucson, are a good compromise in my opinion.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:47 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Dry heat is more 'comfortable' than humid heat, but summers in the SW are long.

I would prefer to endure a couple months of torrid humidity than still be in the grip of even dry 90s when October rolls around.

Higher elevation areas in AZ and NM, i.e. not Tucson, are a good compromise in my opinion.
This ^^^. In July/August when the monsoons hit the humidity goes up. By March, we were in shorts and stayed in them until Nov/Dec. I remember so many nights when the temp didn't go down below 80 degrees and I got up at 4:00 AM just to be able to walk the dogs while it was still tolerable. We started using Schwan's for delivery of our ice cream because it was a 10 minute trip from the store and the ice cream couldn't hold out that long. We did start carrying a cooler with us all the time though to try to preserve our groceries until we got home.

I have lived in MI, IN, AL, NC, MS, AK and AZ (6 years there). I spent one summer in San Antonio.

Dry heat is like baking in the oven. Humid heat is like being steamed. They are both hot and miserable.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:01 PM

406 posts, read 623,460 times
Something else that is also worth mentioning are relative temperatures. For example, 85-90 degrees in most areas of the country falls into the category of "hot". Tucson can reach 85 in March, but it is still dry at that point and consequently feels a lot more comfortable than a 85 degree humid day in the Northeast. Someone from an area where 85-90 was a heat wave will come back and spread the word "yeah, it was like 90, but it was a DRY HEAT". Maybe they hadn't felt REAL Desert Southwest heat!

Old 02-24-2016, 05:13 PM

20 posts, read 20,461 times
Hmmmm: I don't know what to do now. I've been coming to AZ for 15 years now (all times of the year) to the Phoenix area with trips to Tucson. I've been to Phoenix in July in 110 degree heat the whole time we were there and didn't really feel any humidity. I'd sit under the covered patio with a fan until 11 and then stay inside until around 6 or so. I loved it because you could sit outside all night with no mosquitos attacking you. We purposely went in July to see if we could stand the summers.

After a much anticipated wait I'm finally ready to make the move to AZ. However, we decided on Tucson. I knew it would be warmer but didn't know there would be months of humidity. I don't think I could stand that. I visited my brother in TX with those conditions and it was brutal.

Tucson is so much cheaper than anywhere in Phoenix all the way to Sedona. For those who like Tucson - should I stick to my plan or try to find something doable in the Phoenix area?

I currently live in PA and would easily trade 3 plus months of snow, ice and cold plus a couple of months of hot and humid for a few months of hot and humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson