U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2016, 02:33 PM
 
13 posts, read 33,123 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Hi

We are a considering a relocation and are so confused. We have an 11, 8 and 7 year old, so schools are really important and I would be willing to sacrifice space for safety and school quality. The areas that interest us most are Oro Valley, Catalina Foothills or Marana (my hubby likes this area, but I'm not so sure)?

Any help or suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2016, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Oro Valley, AZ
29 posts, read 34,589 times
Reputation: 81
We moved here in '14 and decided on Oro Valley. My husband was working here for a year before the family & I moved down from MN to join him. He looked around decided OV was a good fit for us. Our youngest kids were 9 & 14 then and we wanted safe streets, good schools and access to shopping & entertainment. Catalina Foothills was out of our price range. Marana is kind of hit or miss. There are some great neighborhoods and some icky ones, and the schools are the same way.

I know 4 families living in Marana that bring their children to OV for school (and there are many more). There is open enrollment so if you are willing to drive the kids to school you can live anywhere and still enroll in decent schools. There is a Basis campus (charter school) in OV that has an excellent reputation. People bring their kids there from all over the city.

HTH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 09:42 PM
 
13 posts, read 33,123 times
Reputation: 15
Thank you. I have been looking for weeks and I don't like what I see with the schools in Marana, I know ratings aren't everything, but still. I saw the schools look scary even in Dove Mountain too?
Two of our kiddos have huge anxiety problems, do you know any school that would be really good to deal with that kind of special needs?
Thanks again I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 11:20 PM
 
Location: 38N 105W
4,721 posts, read 7,022,747 times
Reputation: 7292
I lived west of Colorado Springs for 40+ years, and our four kids went through the Woodland Park school system K-12. We bought a "snowbird" condo in Oro Valley back in 2008, and I now live here full time since my husband passed away. Arizona schools are not very good, even in Oro Valley or Marana, unless you apply to and are accepted in the Basis school. Compared to most Colorado Schools, they score very low, and are also low scoring compared to national levels, so it's possible your kids may be at a grade level higher than kids in the same grades here. That might help their anxiety by giving them confidence when they are academically ahead of the kids in their grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2016, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Oro Valley, AZ
29 posts, read 34,589 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Arizona schools are not very good, even in Oro Valley or Marana, unless you apply to and are accepted in the Basis school. Compared to most Colorado Schools, they score very low, and are also low scoring compared to national levels, so it's possible your kids may be at a grade level higher than kids in the same grades here. That might help their anxiety by giving them confidence when they are academically ahead of the kids in their grade.
This is true. MN schools are some of the best in the nation and AZ are among the worst. Initially last year (my kids' first year of school here) they felt like they were ahead of their classes. However, I'm not seeing it this year!

Amphi (the OV school district) has a lot of students moving in & out of the district and I think they handled getting our family started here very well. We were all pretty anxious at first, but a school is a school no matter where it is located. Our kids adjusted pretty quickly.

Basis offers smaller class sizes and has a rigorous curriculum. If your kids like 3 hours of homework, then that is the way to go. My son in 10th grade has met a lot of Basis dropouts who are back in public school. Another highly ranked charter school is Legacy Traditional School (K-8) and it is in the Marana/OV area. Some private parochial schools this side of town are Pusch Ridge Christian, Casas, and St. Elizabeth Ann Seton.

A couple of the families I know who drive their kids from Marana to OV for school come from Dove Mountain and Sky Ranch. The Marana school that serves them is quite south of their neighborhoods.

Vail is another community in Tucson with good public schools. It's on the other side of town - I don't know much about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 10:52 AM
 
13 posts, read 33,123 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I lived west of Colorado Springs for 40+ years, and our four kids went through the Woodland Park school system K-12. We bought a "snowbird" condo in Oro Valley back in 2008, and I now live here full time since my husband passed away. Arizona schools are not very good, even in Oro Valley or Marana, unless you apply to and are accepted in the Basis school. Compared to most Colorado Schools, they score very low, and are also low scoring compared to national levels, so it's possible your kids may be at a grade level higher than kids in the same grades here. That might help their anxiety by giving them confidence when they are academically ahead of the kids in their grade.
Thank you. My kiddos are young for their grade, so I was hoping to hold them back a year, but academically they are beyond, we'll have to think about what we should do. We are leaning towards Oro Valley because the homes we like seem really old in Catalina Foothills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 10:55 AM
 
13 posts, read 33,123 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltedChez View Post
This is true. MN schools are some of the best in the nation and AZ are among the worst. Initially last year (my kids' first year of school here) they felt like they were ahead of their classes. However, I'm not seeing it this year!

Amphi (the OV school district) has a lot of students moving in & out of the district and I think they handled getting our family started here very well. We were all pretty anxious at first, but a school is a school no matter where it is located. Our kids adjusted pretty quickly.

Basis offers smaller class sizes and has a rigorous curriculum. If your kids like 3 hours of homework, then that is the way to go. My son in 10th grade has met a lot of Basis dropouts who are back in public school. Another highly ranked charter school is Legacy Traditional School (K-8) and it is in the Marana/OV area. Some private parochial schools this side of town are Pusch Ridge Christian, Casas, and St. Elizabeth Ann Seton.

A couple of the families I know who drive their kids from Marana to OV for school come from Dove Mountain and Sky Ranch. The Marana school that serves them is quite south of their neighborhoods.

Vail is another community in Tucson with good public schools. It's on the other side of town - I don't know much about it.
Thank you. My kiddos are young for their grade, so I was hoping to hold them back a year. We are leaning towards Oro Valley because the homes we like seem really old in Catalina Foothills, but I did see a new home community we definitely have to look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2016, 08:57 PM
 
1,500 posts, read 2,347,134 times
Reputation: 3571
Where will the adults in the family be working? What is your price range?

I'm not a fan of Marana, but to each their own of course. I have coworkers who live there and like it, but there are some pretty sketchy parts.

I like many of the homes in the Foothills because they seem to be more interesting architecturally and lot sizes can be better than in OV.

I live in OV and absolutely love it - I just don't care for the lot size where we are. There are certainly plenty of nice sized lots in OV, but they seem to be on homes well out of my price range or in older homes, not new home construction like you seem to be leaning toward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2016, 08:50 AM
 
88 posts, read 85,232 times
Reputation: 111
Charter schools seem to be Tucson's answer to not so great school districts. BASIS is a high achieving school in Oro Valley. Leman Academy and Legacy are two popular charters in Marana. We considered Vail (just too far from everything) and Oro Valley (too long a drive to base) and chose Continental Reserve in Marana. We're minutes from I10, 20 minutes from downtown, 1.5 hours from Phoenix, have everything we need within 15 minutes and our child was accepted to Leman Academy for K next fall. We have a beautiful view of Safford Peak and the neighborhood is very well kept. We're very happy with our choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2016, 02:05 PM
 
13 posts, read 33,123 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Where will the adults in the family be working? What is your price range?

I'm not a fan of Marana, but to each their own of course. I have coworkers who live there and like it, but there are some pretty sketchy parts.

I like many of the homes in the Foothills because they seem to be more interesting architecturally and lot sizes can be better than in OV.

I live in OV and absolutely love it - I just don't care for the lot size where we are. There are certainly plenty of nice sized lots in OV, but they seem to be on homes well out of my price range or in older homes, not new home construction like you seem to be leaning toward.
I am thinking hopefully no more that 500k, gated, I like I think the job is south of OV. I want a larger lot. Marana does look sketchy looking at some of the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top