U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 04:41 PM

359 posts, read 331,396 times

Advertisements

At this point, the plan is moving to Tucson and renting for a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 09:13 AM

While rereading my old posts I thought I'd update this thread. Wife and I have retired. Ultimately, we bought a 5th wheel camper thinking we'll snow bird for a year or 2. Tucson is the destination - we reserved a site in Rincon County RV West for Nov. through March. For now, we'll remain WI residents for health care reasons. The thought is if we like Tucson as anticipated, we can always buy a condo for full time living and travel during the summers.

We can't wait to head south in a couple of months. Thanks again for all the input to my questions. This forum is a terrific place for gathering info.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:47 PM

2,964 posts, read 1,608,908 times
Sound great! Please keep updating us on your life in Tucson

Old 08-16-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Sound great! Please keep updating us on your life in Tucson
Will do. I hope to be around the forum after finally landing there. Perhaps I can offer potential newcomers some advice from a 'newbie'. After all, it only seems right after receiving all the help you folks have given Ruth and me.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:57 AM

336 posts, read 391,393 times
I hear crime in Tucson is a concern. Is this correct? I hear it just about ties Albuquerque for thefts.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:12 AM

5,161 posts, read 3,265,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
I hear crime in Tucson is a concern. Is this correct? I hear it just about ties Albuquerque for thefts.
I lived in midtown Tucson (Alvernon/Speedway) for 7 years in an ungated apartment complex and never had any issues, even though midtown is probably the 2nd worse crime area, only behind the south/southeastern part of the city. Maybe I was lucky or it was something else.

I think as in any place you live, don't do anything stupid, like leave your keys in your car, leave your car unlocked, go to places at night you know are "bad" or "potential dangerous". I feel you probably have a better chance of getting injured/killed riding your bike in Tucson, than having yourself robbed or something stolen of yours.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:56 AM

5,998 posts, read 5,747,267 times
I lived in midtown Tucson (Alvernon/Speedway) for 7 years in an ungated apartment complex and never had any issues, even though midtown is probably the 2nd worse crime area, only behind the south/southeastern part of the city. Maybe I was lucky or it was something else.

I think as in any place you live, don't do anything stupid, like leave your keys in your car, leave your car unlocked, go to places at night you know are "bad" or "potential dangerous". I feel you probably have a better chance of getting injured/killed riding your bike in Tucson, than having yourself robbed or something stolen of yours.

Riding a bike anywhere in the Tucson metro is not a good idea at all. I have driven all over Tucson for years as I lived in Willcox for 3 years. The way driving seems ta go there is just not copasetic for bike riding. I would never ride a bike anywhere in the Tucson metro. Drivers drift off course all the time.

I don't find it difficult to drive in Tucson, I can "drift" if need be for my own driver safety and I will. But bike riding? No way.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:00 AM

613 posts, read 768,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Riding a bike anywhere in the Tucson metro is not a good idea at all. I have driven all over Tucson for years as I lived in Willcox for 3 years. The way driving seems ta go there is just not copasetic for bike riding. I would never ride a bike anywhere in the Tucson metro. Drivers drift off course all the time.

I don't find it difficult to drive in Tucson, I can "drift" if need be for my own driver safety and I will. But bike riding? No way.
I apologize, but this couldn't be further from the truth. Tucson is well-regarded as one of the best cities in the country for bike riding and bike commuting. I've been doing this since the 90's. There are bike lanes, paths and well-marked bike routes which will get you from almost any point to almost any other point in relative safety.

Of course when it comes to a bike versus a car the physics don't work out for the cyclist, but luckily the incident-rate is pretty low.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:20 AM

5,998 posts, read 5,747,267 times
I wouldn't take the chance riding a bike anywhere in the Tucson metro area. I value my life too much. I'll get my exercise some other way.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:56 AM

Well, we finally landed in Tucson after 3 weeks on the road. Thanks again to all offering advice.

Man, this weather is even better than I remembered.

We're puttering around making arrangements for internet and TV. Next I have to explore pool league opportunities. This is the first time in 20 years I've missed opening night and I'm suffering withdrawal pains. LOL

With respect to biking, we stay in an RV resort just off Aho Way so the loop is easily accessible, it's a big reason we chose this resort. Seems to me there are plenty of places to bike without having to even ride the roads. Tucson is fortunate to have such a vast trail network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or