Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 06:06 AM

404 posts, read 480,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Now, in Japan, with its stubbornly low fertility rate of 1.2, and it stubborn resistance to immigrants, there's now 1 out of 7 homes vacant over there, having lost 1 million older people last year, with little to no replacements, I'd be viewing thing differently. Unfortunately, most of the homes being vacated are in the rural areas!
I sort of wonder if that won't happen here, too. My wife and I chose to not have children, but we're sort of outliers regarding that choice for my generation. But I am seeing more younger people not having kids, it's not at all uncommon. It could be come a real trend here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 04:03 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
I've done some research into the question of projected retirement prosperity for the Gen-xer's, and it doesn't look like the trend of SW retirement living will continue for the fact of a large part of our current retirement benefit situation won't apply to them. Times are changing and the old pension crowd is dying off, leaving the money behind, and also leaving a much poorer bunch retiring in 2036 or so. Green Valley, Palm Springs, Yuma, and most of the SW, will most likely not have the draw it does today.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:30 AM

404 posts, read 480,629 times
However, the Census Bureau predicts a US population increase from 319 to 417 between 2014 and 2060 so it doesn't look like we're going to run out of people.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:14 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I've done some research into the question of projected retirement prosperity for the Gen-xer's, and it doesn't look like the trend of SW retirement living will continue for the fact of a large part of our current retirement benefit situation won't apply to them. Times are changing and the old pension crowd is dying off, leaving the money behind, and also leaving a much poorer bunch retiring in 2036 or so. Green Valley, Palm Springs, Yuma, and most of the SW, will most likely not have the draw it does today.
It remains to be seen if the Gen-xer's will ever outgrow their love of an urban mass transit lifestyle sans automobile. And if not, places like Green Valley could become all-aged slums.

Before I moved to the Southwest 23 years ago, I led a very urban lifestyle in Minneapolis, and it's never gotten out of my blood, and it factors into my projected retirement move to Tucson. Being a convenience junkie, conveniences will be the deciding factor on where I'll live.

And I've done my research, there's areas of Tucson you can buy a single family home and have lots of conveniences within a mile of that house. Downtown Tucson has no interest for me.

I work with an ex-New Yorker here in Las Vegas, she bought a car when she relocated many years ago, the car went kaput, and she's been car-less eversince! She does rent a car from Enterprise once a month for a weekend.

Last edited by tijlover; 06-17-2016 at 12:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson