Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 05:08 PM
duftb5cfg

n/a posts

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Tucson in about a year and I'm wondering whether or not it is a suitable city to work in restaurants.

About me: excellent resume, will have first level sommelier by the time I move.

What is the money like in Tucson, and how is it finding a job?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 07:52 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,059,721 times
low cost of living.....and low wages

and I don't know if a sommelier is in high demand in a podunk burg like Tucson....

I see you're asking this question in several cities' forums.....and it looks like you're in southern California now??.....

are you working at all now?.....if so, is that job secure?.....

Old 05-31-2016, 09:41 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Keep in mind, EliotJC . . .

How much money you make is NOT nearly as important as how much money you have leftover AFTER paying the necessities / bills each month.

Many years ago, I relocated to Tucson from California and it did not take me long to realize I was much better off financially with my much lower paycheck.

Good Luck.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:48 AM

612 posts, read 1,020,755 times
It's strictly conjecture, but I could see an enterprising sommelier doing better in this town than in places with a more established wine scene. I would call our wine scene "maturing" rather than "mature" which could give a person room to step in. Also, if I'm not mistaken the Level 1 is the introductory accreditation so it would come in handy at any number of our higher-end eateries either behind the bar or as a knowledgeable server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
and I don't know if a sommelier is in high demand in a podunk burg like Tucson....
Sorry to be the one to tell you, but you clearly aren't participating enough in the Tucson drinking scene!

Things here are becoming more and more wine oriented every day. There are many well-recognized wine bars, plenty of wine being consumed at the various resorts in town, and of course the up-and-coming Elgin/Sonoita wine country just South of town.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:25 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotJC View Post
I'm considering a move to Tucson in about a year and I'm wondering whether or not it is a suitable city to work in restaurants.

About me: excellent resume, will have first level sommelier by the time I move.

What is the money like in Tucson, and how is it finding a job?

Thanks!

I moved here from Chicago. When I was in that area, I was spending $20-30 pp when going out with friends.

In Tucson, I rarely spend much more than $10 for a meal. Seriously.

While there are pockets of wealth in the Tucson area, I do not think that there is a great demand for many high end restaurants and that market is pretty well saturated.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:42 AM

84 posts, read 105,718 times
Depends what kind of restaurants you are used to working at, if you are used to high-end restaurants where waiters make a good living, like places in large cities, there aren't many of those here, but there are a few (very few) on the north side and a few in the downtown area. It's not like Chicago or NY where high-end restaurants are everywhere.

If you work at normal places like Chains that are $10 to $15 meal, then there are plenty of places. Tucson doesn't have the best job market, but it is cheap to live.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:12 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,314,971 times
The high-end restaurant scene in Phoenix is very active. In Tucson, dining is less posh. The majority of people here don't have a high enough income to support a lot of expensive restaurants. Remember, about 25% of Pima County's citizen's live at or below the Federal poverty line. A big chunk of our other citizens are either students or retirees. The resort market is picking up since the nadir a few years ago when hotel-owned resorts were declaring bankruptcy right and left, but it's still not at top levels.

You can compare by checking out the restaurant scenes in detail by reading our local weekly entertainment papers.
Tucson: Chow | Tucson Weekly
Phoenix: Phoenix Restaurants News and Reviews | Best Restaurants in Phoenix | Phoenix New Times

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 06-02-2016 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: added links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson