U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 07:40 PM

84 posts, read 63,911 times

Advertisements

So I moved here from Texas, my experience after 1 month is MOSTLY positive.

------------
Pro's
------------

Weather - Anyone that has lived near the Gulf Coast, or in south or central Texas knows how relentless the humidity gets. What people don't understand that never lived in such an area, is that there is just NO break from it for 4-6 months. Here, you practically get a break from the HEAT every single night, unless it's 112+ during the day, but even then it's probably fine after 8pm, and that's only a few times a year (especially on the outskirts at higher elev where I live). In Houston, it's NOT fine, even at midnight it often feels terrible. A little better at 5am in Texas, but not great.

To give a comparison, when it's 100 here and I'm in the shade completely away from the sun, it feels better than Houston sometimes felt when Houston was 80! No, I'm not kidding, not every "Houston 80", but sometimes when the humidity was off the charts, which is often.

I had no issues GRILLING outside today while the temp was 99, didn't really sweat at all. If it were 85 in Houston, I would have come in drenched in sweat from grilling outside.

I know the Monsoon is coming, but believe me I doubt it will bother me.

Cost of Living
----------------
It is lower than most places for what you get, on the outskirts anyhow, you can get nice 2-3 BR homes or similar places for under $1000 month if you are renting, and that is RARE in most parts of the country. A bit more expensive closer to downtown I'm sure.

Scenery

For people that keep saying it's all brown here, well in the lower elevations there is a mix of dull greens, yellows, and browns. In the higher elevations, it's fairly green year-round, you just have to get about 5000 - 6000 or so. Mt Lemmon is of course fairly green even right now. Green Valley has orchards (pecans I think), and lots of other trees (desert oaks). No, the trees are NOT as green as they were in Texas, they are a duller green, but they are green none-the-less. I haven't seen it yet after the Monsoon, but I've seen pictures, so I'm sure it'll look pretty killer in the mountains after all that rain!

----------
Con's

-----------

Lack of Restaurants - There aren't many good ones here on the SE or South side, but there are way more near downtown or on the North side. So if moving down here, keep that in mind. Actually I live in the far outskirts around Vail, so literally almost nowhere to eat where I'm at, but I'm getting used to cooking more.

Electricity Cost - Electricity is a bit higher than it was in the Deregulated Texas market, overall not a huge difference. I don't think the A/C bill will be any higher here than Houston, for Phoenix it would be, but not in the outskirts of Tucson anyhow. Mainly because it cools off a night faster than Houston did, so it about averages out.

The Critters - Well, I've killed 3 scorpions in my home the first month here, very tiny ones (babies), but scorpions none-the-less. I've had to kill about 15 spiders in my house, about 3-5 per week, and I live in a fairly new area (built less than 8 years ago). Some of the spiders were probably desert recluses, looked like them, those things can do some hurt to you. Also, the moths up here in the foothills get a bit annoying, they are everywhere. Moths are like what mosquitoes were in Texas, no they don't bite, but they are a nuisance. Despite being in the desert, there are still lots of insects, even beetles and a few roaches, but haven't seen any large sewer roaches yet.

The BEES here mean serious business, they are all insane. They will fly straight at you and buzz you to death, run for your life and take cover if you spot them in a group or colony moving! We had some Africanized bees in Texas, but the bees here must be more African than honey bee, they are just crazy aggressive.

Job Market - It isn't as good as Texas, not nearly, but it isn't the worst place either. It likely depends what profession you are in to how good/bad it is.

The Roads - Some parts of Texas have some bad roads as well, but this place just has so many all over the place. Even some of the good roads are bad in places.

Last edited by ScaryTucson; 06-03-2016 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 02:25 AM

300 posts, read 412,759 times
I lived in San Antonio for 5 years (1980s). All that time my arthritis hurt every day, including my elbows (same in Tampa Fl). When I rode my bike, was outside awhile, my clothing would get wet from sweating, humidity there almost as high as the temp. Here, in Tucson I do very well, joints only ache briefly when the weather is hot and humid or cold and humid (a few times a year) as long as I don't fall.

Bugs - I'll tell you what I tell everyone else, baking soda. Everywhere I live I sprinkle baking soda around the perimeters of all rooms and closets, reapply only if the vacuum gets it. If you have pets or small children only sprinkle baking soda behind furniture (about a 1/4 cup) where they cannot get at it. I also drop some behind the stove and the space between the counter and refrigerator. I sprinkle some on my window sills (not where breeze will blow it into the room). During our monsoon seasons I sometimes put some BS in each drain and leave overnight. I scrub the bathroom and kitchen with BS, only water roaches I see over a period of a year are a few baby ones in the bathroom that are dead or almost dead. Once in awhile I put BS in the toilet bowl and leave there for a few hours. I clean the bowl with BS too.

A friend of mine's father was a plumber, had told her to put some bleach in her toilet bowl once a week and leave it there while she was at work - said it makes the pipes slippery so water bugs can't climb up.

I sprinkle BS on the door strips and outside. 10 years ago I moved to a mobile home park, was warned about the spiders, told one man was bit and almost died. Three times in 8 months (just going back and forth to my pickup in my carport) I was hospitalized for cellulitis. Each time the ER dr said there was an insect bite at the source of the infection.

I got out my BS, sprinkled the entire carport and handicapped ramp once a month, also over the entire floor of the shed. Was there 5 yrs and no more bites.

Boric acid (& baking soda) are good to sprinkle around outside for bugs. An 80 something yo woman had told me she always used just baking soda inside and out, and that took care of the bugs.

When you get moths that get into the house and on the wall/curtain - I get out my portable vacuum cleaner (remove the attachment) and suck them into the vac. That way, you don't get that brownish powder on the wall/curtain when you try to grab the moths. I am on the east side, seems that moths are worse in the spring. They are at your doors and get in when you open them (my guess).

For termite prevention: boric acid outside around the foundation every 3 months., People who avoid chemicals use boric acid or Hot Shot (at Home Depot) which has boric acid in it and something else.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:08 AM

445 posts, read 568,519 times
I have had a few scorpions in my broom closet. I usually use those sticky traps but your baking soda idea has me intrigued. I wonder if that works for scorpions.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:23 AM

8 posts, read 6,868 times
I moved here a few months ago from Nebraska and was floored by the heat here! 106 yesterday was nothing compared to even the low 90's in Nebraska when you tacked on the humidity. I can't wait to see what the humidity is like during monsoon season, I think we're both going to be fine!

Old 06-04-2016, 10:52 AM

119 posts, read 171,655 times
moved from Arizona to Houston a year ago heat i can tolerate , BUT the humidity has kicked my butt bad . even to the poijnt of thinking to move back to Phoenix .

Old 06-04-2016, 01:55 PM

9,377 posts, read 26,581,901 times
Without a doubt . . . I will gladly take 100 Plus Degrees with 4% Humidity (the predicted humidity for this afternoon) here in Tucson over anything "Over there and /or Up There".

As for Critters . . . there's nothing worse than the Mosquitos the size of Small Cats as well as the bazillions of other flying / crawling critters during the Summers in the Upper Midwest or the Southeast.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:03 PM

218 posts, read 130,064 times
Wow, now I see what the threadstarter of the Texans moving to AZ was talking about. Funny thing is that I live in TX now and am visiting Arizona next week Friday.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:30 PM

362 posts, read 400,297 times
I lived in Houston 22 years before moving to Prescott. I agree with the above posts about the humidity in Texas. The other thing I remember about Houston was mosquitos 9 months out of every year and the giant flying cockroaches. At least up in Prescott we don't get any of these or scorpions.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:31 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,105,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Fork Rat View Post
moved from Arizona to Houston a year ago heat i can tolerate , BUT the humidity has kicked my butt bad . even to the point of thinking to move back to Phoenix .
Seriously, Ash Fork! C'mon back to Arizona to good ol' DRY HEAT once again!

Old 06-04-2016, 03:11 PM

300 posts, read 412,759 times
Agorski-
I just tried to find on the net how to use baking soda for scorpions. The only thing I found was a sentence saying BS kills everything from ants to termites to roaches to scorpions. Also, that a woman had told me baking soda took care of all bugs, including scorpions.

On the net diatomaeous earth (food quality) kills scorpions so you could try that. Needs to be reapplied (outside only of course) every 3 mos and don't put where children and pets can get it or the wind would blow where someone could breathe it in. I play safe- use BS.

Someone I know (his wife was chemist) uses Hot Shot, gets it from Home Depot - said it takes care of all bugs. It has boric acid in it and I don't know what else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or