U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 01:11 AM

4 posts, read 2,680 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody!

Im a PhD student here in Spain and Im moving to Tucson to do my intership. I will go there between three and six months at the end of the year (Novenber-January) and I have to start checking several things.

I have seen there are plenty of residences for students. If someone of you could give me any advise for which ones are the most desirables it would be very nice. Since Im going for few months I would like to be near the downtown and near to the university.

Also about the transportation. I live in a pretty small city here in Spain (if you have a minute check in google Donostia) and Im quite used to go everywhere by bus or bike. Is like that there in Tucson? No necessity about car or motorbike?

Which kind of weather do you have there in Tucson in winter?? I live in the coast so Ive no idea about the wheather in a dessert...

And finally (for now ) Id like to play rugby during my stay in Tucson and Ive check that there are two rugby teams (the Magpies and Old Pueblo Rugby), if someone knows if those teams are open to every kind of people or once the season starts they dont accept more people.

I know that there are a lot of questions but i would accept every kind of help. Thank you all in advance!!!!
See you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 10:24 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,022,330 times
The winter months are cooler here, but maybe better for outdoor activities. It almost never snows, and doesn't rain much either. We have much lower humidity than the north coast of Spain.

Is Donostia the same place as San Sebastian? I am retired and have looked into moving to Spain.

I don't know much of anything about student housing. If you live near the university you should be fine with a bike and occasional bus. But you won't be able to get to the outskirts or nearby mountains, unless you bike ride a long way.

Don't know anything about rugby. Try googling the club names and see if you can contact them via Email.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:56 AM

Thanks a lot!

Glad to hear about the weather. Im not used to temperature higher than 82-86 F.

Donostia is the Basque name for San Sebastian. I warn you, is not a cheap city! Actually is one of the most expensives cities in Spain. But it is worth!!

I already saw a cuple of rugby teams there and one in particular is near to the university so i will contact with them.

Also i have seen a couple of residences that are near to the UofA and the rugby field and the dowtown. I will keep on searching more choices.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:34 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,022,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGAZ View Post
Thanks a lot!

Glad to hear about the weather. Im not used to temperature higher than 82-86 F.
Tucson will be cooler than that in the months you plan to come. Now is the time when it is very hot.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:30 PM

613 posts, read 768,965 times
Quote:
Also about the transportation. I live in a pretty small city here in Spain (if you have a minute check in google Donostia) and Im quite used to go everywhere by bus or bike. Is like that there in Tucson? No necessity about car or motorbike?
You will be able to reach most necessities by bike (or even by walking). In the University area there is a streetcar with a short route, and then there is bus service throughout the city. I don't use it, but the consensus seems to be that the bus service here is "okay" at best, but not great. Honestly if you live in the University area for such a short period of time I do not think a car will be required for you - a bike should serve you very well, and for the odd excursion into other areas of town you can rely on new friends, or Uber (or other) service.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:05 PM

2,749 posts, read 2,689,163 times
if you are interested there is a flamenco festival in Tucson and a Spanish restaurant run by a guy from Spain- enjoy your time in Arizona

https://www.facebook.com/TucsonFlamencoFestival/

https://www.facebook.com/Casa-Vicent...7591034934018/

Phoenix has an annual festival de espana in downtown Phoenix every year

http://phoenixcenterforthearts.org/p...val-de-espana/

Old 06-10-2016, 02:42 PM

5,167 posts, read 3,274,095 times
Quote:
I have seen there are plenty of residences for students. If someone of you could give me any advise for which ones are the most desirables it would be very nice. Since Im going for few months I would like to be near the downtown and near to the university.

Which kind of weather do you have there in Tucson in winter?? I live in the coast so Ive no idea about the wheather in a dessert...
All of the neighborhoods immediately surrounding the University have students living in them, Sam Hughes, Rincon Heights, North University. There are also a bunch of students who live along the Mountain Ave. corridor. Like others have mentioned, biking is big in Tucson and the bus system is OK. There is the modern streetcar, which people have brought up, that goes from just west of downtown to just south of the hospital, it's slow and you can definitely bike faster than the streetcar, but it gets you there.

Here's a Tucson streetcar map pdf:

http://www.sunlinkstreetcar.com/images/Route%20Map.pdf

Here's a Tucson bus map pdf:

http://www.suntran.com/PDF/Maps/Curr...20Feb%2016.pdf

Finding a place for that Nov-Jan time period might be the only real problem, good to possibly start looking now. Somebody might have a spare room they could rent you over that time. The fall semester ends on December 15th and the spring semester begins on January 11th for the upcoming academic year.

Tucson has a semi-arid, subtropical climate, where it does get winter rains on occasion, and for the average highs and lows during that time, you are looking at these ranges:

Nov High 23-8 C Low
Dec High 18-4 C Low
Jan High 19-4 C Low

The record highs for those months:

Nov 34 C
Dec 29 C
Jan 31 C

The record lows for those months:

Nov -7 C
Dec -12 C
Jan -14 C

So it should be slightly warmer than what you are used to in San Sebastin during those months and the lows are quite similar.

You'll definitely be able to use your Spanish here, except it's mostly Mexican-Spanish and not Spain-Spanish.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:32 PM

2,347 posts, read 7,741,169 times
IGAZ, I have been visiting Tuscon many times per year for the past 20+ years. I always bring my bicycle along, because Tucson is one of the best cities anywhere for bicycle riding. You can get from the University area to any direction in the central city with few problems. There are bike lanes along most major streets, and also a 60+ mile long bicycle / pedestrian paved path that makes a loop around the perimeter of Tucson. I have pedaled everywhere in the Metro area at one time or another.

You can obtain a paper copy of this excellent bicycle route map at many locations in Tucson. This will help you select the best and safest route to get from A to B on a bicycle. It will also help you avoid some streets that are not bicycle friendly.

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/bicycle/bik...paths-and-maps

The central part of Tucson is fairly flat, with gentle terrain (no steep hills). The streets in the central part of Tucson are mostly a grid of norh-south and east-west orientation. This is ideal for bicycle transportation. You can easily buy a good used bicycle on Craigslist when you arrive, and then sell it when you are ready to leave. Get a good U-lock also if you intend to park it outside in the university area while attending classes.

Others have already commented on the climate in Tucson. You will be in Tucson during the mild fall-winter-spring seasons, so the closest comparison to somewhere in Spain would ben Sevilla during that same time. The difference is that Tucson sometimes has some very warm temps that last several days or a week mixed in with cooler temps during these seasons.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:20 AM

Thank you all for your comments!! And thank cjseliga for the maps! Very usefull!!

Definitely i will buy a bike. Seems to be the best option. My idea is to rent a car the weekends I want to visit some part of Arizona.

The weather will be quite warm for me!! Here in San Sebastian we are used to cold, windy and rainy weather in winter.

I am from the north of Spain so, I dont know to much about flamenco culture... but may be I will know it in Tucson!! Haha!

Thank you all again for all your coments! Definitelly I will go six months and altough I am quite scared, I am looking forward to going and knowing Tucson and Tucson people (like all of you).

See you soon!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or