U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:01 PM

686 posts, read 3,461,201 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I took pictures in MY neighborhood on a crumby day. I don't think my views are universally valid. I would have to disagree BIG time. I don't mean to argue, I just wanted to take some pictures. I have thought about staying in Tucson and living, but it's hard to do that when all you see day after day is trash and gangs and not so good stuff.

I have been in nice parts of Tucson and in other forum sites I have, I tell people about the nice things in Tucson as well as the bad. Sorry I am so bleak. I've never lived in a nice neighborhood. I feel that people always want the good in a place, when all I've ever seen are bad things. I want people to be aware of what I (an other lower income families) deal with. Though with these photos, I wasn't trying to do that. Just happened to be my lucky day I guess,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 10:01 PM

42,837 posts, read 78,822,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
I have the right to express my opinion however I want.
Quote:
From now on, if you don't like my photos, then don't comment.
Oh, there's been an addition. Let me get this straight - you can express your opinions, but I can't...?!

You're contradicting yourself in one post alone.

Anyway, Daniel, obviously you can post any ugliness you want. I'm sure you are capable of finding it in any place on the face of the Earth. Just don't expect applauses only.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:06 PM

I should have worded that differently. I didn't mean to say you couldn't express your opinions.

I don't want to be at bad terms. I truly respect your opinions, though mine differ. I can understand what your saying and I will try to be more aware and consious of the better stuff out there. I apologize for any bad terms we may have had.

Daniel

Old 02-16-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
I apologize if I seem mean. I don't want to be at bad terms. I truly respect your opinions, though mine differ. I can understand what your saying and I will try to be more aware and consious of the better stuff out there.

Daniel
Alright, kiddo! I'm certainly not the most positive person alive, either, but you should try to see the beauty, too, because there is beauty around, even if it's not exactly to my tastes or yours. I'm yet to see a big city in this country that's picture-perfect. I wasn't born here. Guess what idea I had of Hollywood Blvd, for instance, and what rude awaking it was to see it for real... I'm perfectly aware the income maps overlap with the crime maps, with the bad schools maps and all that... That's how the cookie crumbles whether we like it or not. IMO, though, you can spend the same amount of money and not necessarily live where you live. There are other modest but a lot safer areas.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:16 PM

your right. When I'm out tomorrow downtown and heading up "A" Mountain I'll post more pics. At least it'll be sunny so the pics won't be so bleak. I can see beauty but it is more difficult for me than others. I'd love to see the nice Tucson. I have a love/hate relationship with this city. I hate it because I live in this neighborhood, but I love it because there is a lot of culture, scenic beauty, and just living in AZ!!!

I know Tucson has wonderful parts, I just have to get out and see it. I'll do that. It will take time though, literally. I've been here since Nov. 2003 and have rarely gone out of my neighborhood to explore. I want to i'm just a little apprehensive since I am not familiar with anything outside my radius. well, i'm loggin off for the night. have a nice evening, and i'll post my pics tomorrow night. Goodnight

Daniel

Old 02-16-2008, 10:51 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,257,682 times
Im glad Daniel T posted those pics, as it shows how MUCH of Tucson really is like. Alot of people cant afford to move into a 400K new home in Oro Valley, yet want to live in Tucson and can only afford the older neighborhoods that he lives in. I see WAY TOO MANY people rush to AZ to live the "dream" that is constantly shown on pamphlets, etc, only to get there and only afford a place in a "undesireable" (to some) neighborhood. Its posts like Daniel T's that are more realistic. If I showed nothing but pics of the mega-mansions in Lake Forest, IL or Winnetka, IL, everyone on earth would get this great impression of the north shore burbs, only to end up affording sometihng in not-so-desireable Waukegan, IL. I hope Daniel T keeps posting more shots of the older/affordable 'hoods, as thats what many people will end up in. Most people who move to AZ envision desert vistas, saguaro and palm filled yards, pebble-tec pools, etc, etc. What many of them get are rock yards, in a overcrowded/strip mall Hell town, with views of their neighbor's house that looks identical to theirs. I applaud Daniel T's efforts, his posts show how alot of people live in the older hoods. Now if people think that the entire Tucson area looks like that, then theyre in as much need of help as those who show nothing but pictures of mansions and fancy resorts, etc.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:43 AM

985 posts, read 2,587,024 times
Steve-o...I respectfully disagree...we are moving to oro valley as soon as our house sells in NJ. We have been to Tucson several times in the past 18 months. We are finding plently of homes under 250. They are really nice homes in very nice neighborhoods. I can't wait to move!!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:29 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,077,479 times
So let's see what the middle-class neighborhoods look like - maybe around $250k or so? No realtor pics either - they of course will paint things in the best light possible.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im glad Daniel T posted those pics, as it shows how MUCH of Tucson really is like. Alot of people cant afford to move into a 400K new home in Oro Valley, yet want to live in Tucson and can only afford the older neighborhoods that he lives in. I see WAY TOO MANY people rush to AZ to live the "dream" that is constantly shown on pamphlets, etc, only to get there and only afford a place in a "undesireable" (to some) neighborhood. Its posts like Daniel T's that are more realistic. If I showed nothing but pics of the mega-mansions in Lake Forest, IL or Winnetka, IL, everyone on earth would get this great impression of the north shore burbs, only to end up affording sometihng in not-so-desireable Waukegan, IL. I hope Daniel T keeps posting more shots of the older/affordable 'hoods, as thats what many people will end up in. Most people who move to AZ envision desert vistas, saguaro and palm filled yards, pebble-tec pools, etc, etc. What many of them get are rock yards, in a overcrowded/strip mall Hell town, with views of their neighbor's house that looks identical to theirs. I applaud Daniel T's efforts, his posts show how alot of people live in the older hoods. Now if people think that the entire Tucson area looks like that, then theyre in as much need of help as those who show nothing but pictures of mansions and fancy resorts, etc.
I am not affluent by any stretch of the imagination. As a matter of fact, half of the time I've lived here I've lived in rental apartments and have a very good idea of what is available and what it costs. Still living in an apartment as we speak. Yes, I don't have much in the way of views at this time, but the place is well kept and the area is reasonably safe. When I say reasonably safe, it means I do worry a little about my car being parked in a carport outside of the gates, but car theft can happen anywhere even if you do have a garage at home. Never had any reason to worry about my personal safety.

What I'm trying to say is that rent and house prices around here (East) are not higher (or at least not much higher) than in the nasty areas discussed in this thread. Why people choose to be there is beyond me. The only ones I can sort of relate to are the students. If you have no transportation, you have to live not too far from the U. The other reason that comes to mind is that the landlords and apartment complexes in these areas are kinda lax, meaning some rent on month-to-month basis and don't run credit reports. It's a win-win situation - they get to rent nasty places and people with no other choices for variety of reasons find a place to live. That's why they attract certain clientele. As far as the owners living there, they must really like it... I'd rather rent a decent place for the rest of my life as opposed to own any of the houses shown here. It's definitely a two-income world and if I can't buy anything acceptable on one income, I'd rather rent.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
So let's see what the middle-class neighborhoods look like - maybe around $250k or so? No realtor pics either - they of course will paint things in the best light possible.
Well, run a search and see for yourself: Tucson MLS

As far as the pictures, many of the pictures on the MLS look far worse than the actual place will look like. Quite a few of the realtors don't do themselves a favor with their pictures.

The middle house among my "typical house" pictures above may very well be under 200K, and the other two could be (not necessarily; don't know the sizes) under 250K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or