Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:59 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,407 times

Advertisements

not a problem. The second batch of photos are still downtown right where you head into the Central part of Tucson. the last photo was about half a mile from the downtown area. I missed my bus so I decided to walk a bit.

There aren't many museums downtown. As for theatre's there is the Rialto and the Fox. that's about it according to my knowledge. As far as I know there are not many lofts going up downtown.

This building is actually an old abandoned low income housing building located right next to the downtown transit center. The fire department used to use the building for emergency fire drills. They are in the process of turning it into condos. the condos are expected to open Summer 2008

I wouldn't live there unles they cleaned up the Transit Center!!!

As for festivals, most are held in other parts of town. Not really downtown unless it's a convention such as the Gem show which ended today. Hope this info helps.

Daniel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 07:41 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,017,597 times
I think hubby and I are going on a pic taking spree this upcoming weekend (taking a break from redoing the house). Maybe I'll post some... if they turn out good.

Thanks for sharing your pics.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:42 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,683,062 times
Here ya go, Daniel . . . the same downtown underpass as in one of your shots but this time taken immediately following a biggee. Also an equally scary shot of the Rillito River.

Sorry, not nearly the same quality as yours!

Last edited by Bummer; 12-14-2008 at 08:10 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 09:57 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,130,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Where are the second batch of photos taken? They seem more lively with cars and people. Besides office buildings, downtowns are often lively in the weekends from musuems, theaters, etc. Where are these cultural amenities in Tucson? Mixed use is also catching on - are there lofts and other residences sprouting up in downtown? Finally, I'm surprised there are not more outdoor festivals, taste-of-whatever, etc. with the nice winter weather in Tucson. Do these take place in the fall and spring instead?

Sorry for all the questions - city and urban planning is a side interest of mine.
The Convention Center is downtown as well as the Museum of Art, the Children's Museum, and Tucson Symphony Orchestra.

Tucson Convention Center

Tucson Symphony Orchestra

Tucson Area Museums

And yes, many fairs, festivals, and other events are held downtown.

Rio Nuevo

Downtown Tucson Partnership › Home

Downtown Tucson, Arizona

Some lofts are being built, too.

Arizona Lofts - Loft Living Listings Classifieds in Tucson AZ - Ice House Artisan Lofts Condo For Sale Downtown New Homes Urban Condos To Buy Artisans Soho Lofts At Metro Area

Ice House Lofts | Tucson, AZ (http://www.icehouselofts.com/home.html - broken link)

Lofty expectations | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/rionuevo/99039 - broken link)

Old 02-18-2008, 10:44 AM

Thanks for that extra info SierraAZ. didn't know there was that much downtown.

Great shots Bummer It's always amazing to see the Rillito flow like that considering it's empty 99 % of the time.

MdtoAZ, that would be great to see your pics. The more the better.

Daniel

Old 02-18-2008, 01:30 PM

10,049 posts, read 14,414,649 times
Wow, that brought back GREAT memories for me! Thank you so much for those pictures! I lived in Tucson from March 1991 until July 1998. I graduated from the U of A...downtown has not changed much! Although they did build a building closer to I-10 since I left. Why was Hotel Congress "fenced off?" Is it closed for renovations? Tucson needs a couple more 20 story buildings to make downtown more dense. I love all the palm trees though. Also was wishing you'd have thrown in some 4th Ave pictures! We used to get wasted down there at "The Shanty" and Maloneys...cool memories!

Old 02-18-2008, 01:34 PM

Thank for the comments. The street around Hotel Congress was closed off because their fixing the roads. it's happening all over Tucson. The hotel itself is not closed. You enter through the back of the building. I am heading down to 4th ave sometime within the week so I will post those.

Daniel

Old 02-23-2008, 03:39 PM

Wow, that'd be cool. Thanks, Daniel_T.

I am also wondering how the El Con Mall & Foothills Malls are doing in terms of business? El Con was kind of slowly dying when I was there in the mid-to-late '90s. However, I did love it's look and location. Foothills was always the "mall that was built 10 years early for that area." In other words, it was thought that area of Tucson was going to grow super fast but didn't. I was still in Tucson when they put in the Barnes and Noble and Off Fifth (Saks Fifth Ave discount store).

Old 02-23-2008, 07:56 PM

HI there, i've never been to El Con. Only been to Foothills and Tucson Mall. When I was at the Foothills Mall, I wasn't impressed. barely and people and to me, was bland. Tucson Mall is always packed.

I didn't get out this weekend and I won't be able to do that. My pet just passed away the other night, and i'm not up to heading out this weekend. maybe next weekend for sure.

Daniel

Old 02-23-2008, 09:13 PM

Sorry to hear about your pet.

I'll be heading out to Tucson later this year, most likely. Will spend one night there and then head up to Sedona...maybe I'll swing by the El Con mall!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson