U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 03:58 PM

18 posts, read 16,112 times

Advertisements

Greetings! First post, after some time lurking.

I'm considering a visit to Tucson and Saddlebrooke Ranch but have been puzzled by something that gets mentioned a goodly amount in posts about SBR....windy.

I guess what I'm searching for is....just what do folks mean when they say "windy"? Is that there is this constant steady breeze, is it gusty with variable up and down, or regular storm-like winds? Because, although they are all "windy", there's a big difference between these types of conditions.

I'd have no problems with some kind of steady winds in the 5-10 MPH range, and even gusty up and down into the 15 range. If, OTOH, we are talking really blustery conditions arising on a regular basis, that's something different.

It is like the phrase "it rains a lot". Here in the upper left corner, we get many days when it rains, but the annual total precipitation is less than New York City and half that of Miami. Duration vs frequency vs volume vs intensity -- that seems to be what I'm trying to hone in on.

Thanks for any assist...see you around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 03:52 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,545,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV880 View Post
... I guess what I'm searching for is....just what do folks mean when they say "windy"? Is that there is this constant steady breeze, is it gusty with variable up and down, or regular storm-like winds? Because, although they are all "windy", there's a big difference between these types of conditions ...
All of the above. Where I live in the NW suburb, we've had an exceptional amount of wind since about March. It varies from a breeze that moves the trees, to wind that blows around the ceiling fan on my covered patio, to wind that picks up pieces of furniture on said patio and blows them into the back yard. We have had a few storms where I've feared the street sign in front of my house was going to break and be hurled into my house.

I normally have pots of flowers on top of tables on my patio and I haven't been able to have them there for months. The wind picks them up and flips them to the ground and I can't afford to be replacing broken live plants every couple of weeks. I also normally have a large painting hanging on the patio (no frame or glass, only a canvas), but I had to take it down because it bangs noisily against the house even though it is securely attached.

I'm really sick of this. I have to clean inside my house twice frequently as I used to (I have to dust electronics every single day!) and my car is filthy all the time. But the worst is my allergy problem. It's been out of control the worst it's been in the 10 years I've lived here.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:24 PM

5,271 posts, read 3,313,639 times
Like Jukesgrrl said, it's all of the above. The wind is actually one of the pluses (in a way) of living in Tucson, where you have 1 million+ people in a metro area, because the wind will keep the pollution out of the valley on most days, without the wind the pollution would just hover in the valley, be stagnant and you would get that inversion effect you see in the Phoenix metroplex.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:14 PM

17,382 posts, read 21,223,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Like Jukesgrrl said, it's all of the above. The wind is actually one of the pluses (in a way) of living in Tucson, where you have 1 million+ people in a metro area, because the wind will keep the pollution out of the valley on most days, without the wind the pollution would just hover in the valley, be stagnant and you would get that inversion effect you see in the Phoenix metroplex.
Yes, one plus to wind is it blows out the pollution, but, at the same time, it brings in fine silica blown from the desert, a hazard to those with respiratory problems, some times, requiring a mask. After a strong wind, check that fine power dust on your car outside, you really want that going into your lungs?

Google Average Annual Wind Speeds of Cities and you'll know where Tucson stands with the rest. L.A. and Phoenix are tied with the lowest average annual wind speeds of 6.2MPH, of any major metro area, maxing out in Cheyenne, WY with 13.9MPH. Here, in Las Vegas, we're inbetween at 9.2MPH. I believe Tucson, if I recall, is in the 8.0+ range.

I'm not surprised that the NW part of Tucson would be windier. How about the far SE area?

Old 07-27-2016, 12:12 PM

Thank you for the info. I hope that on my visit to SBR I'll get a chance to experience the range of wind conditions so I can evaluate how that impacts me. The good news is that we have no respiratory issues (in spite of growing up in Pittsburgh in the 50s and 60s). The wind may also provide a bit of cooling effect, but I'm not counting on that.

Again, my thanks.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:25 AM

42 posts, read 75,683 times
Quote:
Thank you for the info. I hope that on my visit to SBR I'll get a chance to experience the range of wind conditions so I can evaluate how that impacts me. The good news is that we have no respiratory issues (in spite of growing up in Pittsburgh in the 50s and 60s). The wind may also provide a bit of cooling effect, but I'm not counting on that.

Again, my thanks.
Yes, windy and not many views. We settled in SaddleBrooke and love it! We have a beautiful view of the mountains in our backyard. Being a Realtor, I was very concerned about location. For us, Saddlebrooke had the best location, mountain views, pricing, amenities that are already built and nearer to services. We love our home here and the wonderful neighbors we have grown to be friends with.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:30 AM

Wind followup:

Four and a half days at SBR and the wind was nothing more than an occasional light breeze, with one exception. When some rain came nearby, there was a bit of 15+ mph wind but that was only for a short spell. Other than that, it was balmy type breezes that weren't really noticable unless you concentrated on that.

Perhaps I caught a calm spell, but that's a set of data points for mid-August.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:33 PM

94 posts, read 80,771 times
Quote:
Wind followup:

Four and a half days at SBR and the wind was nothing more than an occasional light breeze, with one exception. When some rain came nearby, there was a bit of 15+ mph wind but that was only for a short spell. Other than that, it was balmy type breezes that weren't really noticable unless you concentrated on that.

Perhaps I caught a calm spell, but that's a set of data points for mid-August.
How is the scenery compared to SB?

Old 08-22-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingFan View Post
How is the scenery compared to SB?
That's tough to answer because the question needs a "setting". Are you talking about from the Clubhouse, from the streets, from a backyard? Even from a backyard, it depends on the lot you have. To the north and west, SBR seemed relatively flat with some more distant hills. South and east get the Catalinas. But if your backyard faces another house and wall, even there you have "challenges". Plus, view lot premiums can run you over $100k - is it worth that?

SB seemed to be a bit more rolling terrain which facilitates views and is closer to the mountains. The Preserve area had some great views, but the pricing reflects it. Unfortunately, the last area being built in SB, and which will build-out SB is the southernmost, which looked pretty flat with lots backing up to other lots.

There is a much more open feeling at SBR, perhaps because there is no adjacent development, or even nearby. You can see by looking at sat photos on Google Earth. They are both in high (3000+ ft) desert environments

You can get your views in either location, just know you will pay for them. Significantly, IMO.

As always, these are just top of the head thoughts of one individual. It was our first visit to Tucson and served as our "Level 1" reconnaissance.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:22 AM

42 posts, read 75,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
All of the above. Where I live in the NW suburb, we've had an exceptional amount of wind since about March. It varies from a breeze that moves the trees, to wind that blows around the ceiling fan on my covered patio, to wind that picks up pieces of furniture on said patio and blows them into the back yard. We have had a few storms where I've feared the street sign in front of my house was going to break and be hurled into my house.

I normally have pots of flowers on top of tables on my patio and I haven't been able to have them there for months. The wind picks them up and flips them to the ground and I can't afford to be replacing broken live plants every couple of weeks. I also normally have a large painting hanging on the patio (no frame or glass, only a canvas), but I had to take it down because it bangs noisily against the house even though it is securely attached.

I'm really sick of this. I have to clean inside my house twice frequently as I used to (I have to dust electronics every single day!) and my car is filthy all the time. But the worst is my allergy problem. It's been out of control the worst it's been in the 10 years I've lived here.
I live in Saddlebrooke and can use the pool at the ranch. Yes, it is windy. When we were looking, we drove into the ranch, saw the flag flying flat out in the wind. Drove back to Saddlebrooke to use the pool there. People out there get tired of the wind and move into Saddlebrooke. We have wider streets, beautiful mountain views, etc. Glad to call Saddlebrooke my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or