Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 03:01 PM

84 posts, read 105,755 times

Advertisements

Well, not wanting to scare anyone, but after having only lived here for a few months, I was bit by what is called a Desert Recluse. They are the same as the Brown Recluse.

I was bit on a lower extremity so I got lucky on the location of the bite, but a bit scared to get bit again in a less favorable spot (like face or neck which could leave a disfiguring scar).

The spider was living in one of my socks. During July and Aug I was dealing with an infestation of them coming into my rental house, was having to kill 2-5 every night (might not sound like a lot, but that's about 100 recluses per month THAT I SAW in the house, how many were unseen)...

I guess my name was prophetic, hence Scary Tucson...

I hope I do not get bit again. How do I know it was a Recluse, oh I know, besides the fact that the bite area is now necrotic, I see them every night. Will be going back to Doc to see if they are going to cut it out or just leave it be, already went once.

The problem:
I live near the woods outside of town, my advice, don't do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 05:08 PM

700 posts, read 919,135 times
Yes, I am very sorry you have to deal with that. I hope for the best for your future encounters. When posters bring this up, I always confess I like to live in town where the ecology has been destroyed for 100+ years, and there are fewer hazards to dodge. New construction in outlying areas is lovely; but someone is moving in on critters' homes, and they will still be trying to live there.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:26 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Very valid point, WilmaWildcat . . .

Critters of all shapes and sizes have been living out in the "boonies" for decades, very possibly even longer. Humans are the uninvited guests / invaders.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:38 PM

344 posts, read 551,050 times
I've been bit by scorpions a few times. Part of it is learning where they like to go and how they like to enter. Try spraying the thresholds of all outside doors, do that from the inside because you'll have birds feeding along the outside edges and you want them around to help you. I watch wrens, woodpeckers, etc eat bugs all day around my windows and doors. I put some sugar water out to encourage them to work in my area.

If you're seeing the spiders in one place, then work your way out and around from that area until you find the ingress, might take a few tries to get the right one and all of them. Keep that caulk handy, some pesticide, and some rubber gloves so it's easy to spray and seal something at anytime without dealing with cleaning your hands afterward.

Also look at under sink and laundry areas where pipes come in, make sure they're sealed. The areas under bathroom sinks and tubs, the water heater, around the HVAC ducting. It's like detective work, with tiny perps. :^)

Some places are built over an underground rock opening and there are lots of nests under the house that you can't see. In those places the battle will be long unless you can find out where the openings are.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:02 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedy View Post
I've been bit by scorpions a few times. Part of it is learning where they like to go and how they like to enter. Try spraying the thresholds of all outside doors, do that from the inside because you'll have birds feeding along the outside edges and you want them around to help you. I watch wrens, woodpeckers, etc eat bugs all day around my windows and doors. I put some sugar water out to encourage them to work in my area.

If you're seeing the spiders in one place, then work your way out and around from that area until you find the ingress, might take a few tries to get the right one and all of them. Keep that caulk handy, some pesticide, and some rubber gloves so it's easy to spray and seal something at anytime without dealing with cleaning your hands afterward.

Also look at under sink and laundry areas where pipes come in, make sure they're sealed. The areas under bathroom sinks and tubs, the water heater, around the HVAC ducting. It's like detective work, with tiny perps. :^)

Some places are built over an underground rock opening and there are lots of nests under the house that you can't see. In those places the battle will be long unless you can find out where the openings are.
I think you meant to say you were "stung" by a scorpion? They don't bite.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:57 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,281 times
You might want to get a family of geckos. They're very efficient. Here's some basic brown recluse info below

UCR Spiders Site: Brown Recluse Spiders

My guess is that you have a colony in your home or around it. You could go w/ the nuclear option and have everything exterminated, but then you would kill off everything, and not just the biting spiders. I've never been bit by one and lived in Tucson for over a year, so I don't think it's Tucson related, it's just where you are.

If you don't mind killing off everything AND if you don't have pets, then boric acid will work. It takes a little while, but it will wipe out anything that walks through it. Buy a big 'ol bag on eBait and sprinkle it all over the closet areas and elsewhere in corners, baseboards and crevices. I did that here in my Florida home and there's nothing crawling around. No roaches, spiders, ants, nuthin. To us it's not that toxic. Just don't eat it or rub it in your eyes and you'll be fine. It's much safer than insecticides and poisons.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:39 AM

299 posts, read 545,648 times
My advice is to sprinkle baking soda around the perimeters of all your rooms and closets, behind stove, between refrig and kitchen counter. Outside put boric acid around the foundation and put some in/around other areas such as garage, shed, any place near the house where the boric acid will stay dry. Repeat the boric acid as needed.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:06 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,946,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryTucson View Post
Well, not wanting to scare anyone, but after having only lived here for a few months, I was bit by what is called a Desert Recluse. They are the same as the Brown Recluse.

I was bit on a lower extremity so I got lucky on the location of the bite, but a bit scared to get bit again in a less favorable spot (like face or neck which could leave a disfiguring scar).

The spider was living in one of my socks. During July and Aug I was dealing with an infestation of them coming into my rental house, was having to kill 2-5 every night (might not sound like a lot, but that's about 100 recluses per month THAT I SAW in the house, how many were unseen)...

I guess my name was prophetic, hence Scary Tucson...

I hope I do not get bit again. How do I know it was a Recluse, oh I know, besides the fact that the bite area is now necrotic, I see them every night. Will be going back to Doc to see if they are going to cut it out or just leave it be, already went once.

The problem:
I live near the woods outside of town, my advice, don't do it
I got bit by a recluse 20 years ago on my ankle never had it cut out or treated and now the bite mark site is almost invisible.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:26 PM

344 posts, read 551,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I think you meant to say you were "stung" by a scorpion? They don't bite.
“Was you ever bit by a dead bee?”

Old 01-02-2017, 01:51 PM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
People say peppermint oil in a spray is good as a deterrent for spiders.

I would keep a can of raid at my side at all times. I am anti-raid and spider killing but not in that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: