U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 02:16 AM

24 posts, read 28,509 times

Advertisements

Hello nescooter,

Happy to help! Firstly, if you want to move most anywhere in AZ, 'heat tolerance' is a subject that needs to be addressed – and, hopefully, you've already lived in a hot, dry part of the world, so you'll know if that type of climate is one you can tolerate, and hopefully thrive in, longterm.

Now, regarding other ports-of-interest in AZ, I like spring, summer and fall in Flagstaff – and the year-round climate in Prescott. Unfortunately, though, Flag gets a lot of snow in the winter, and Prescott is politically and socially conservative, though the weather is spot-on for a desert-state, in my opinion. Water, naturally, is a longterm problem for both towns, and water-availability is worth making part of any deliberations, in my view.

In addition, as I'm looking to retire, 'taxation' is also a big issue, and AZ is a moderately senior-friendly state. Also, I like the following website for checking-out how states tax retirees. I especially find the site's 'Retirement Tax Friendliness Calculator' (what a mouthful) to be helpful:

https://smartasset.com/retirement/

Now, if you want (or need) a 'cooler' climate, Washington state (as opposed to Oregon) has retirement-friendly taxation, but one still has to stay out of the big cities to keep prices reasonable. And naturally, the climate there can be a problem for some, as it's the opposite of AZ – lots of drizzle, and weeks of cloudy, sunless skies.

Now regarding California, one now needs a three-income household just to buy what a two income household used to be able to purchase, only ten-years ago. Additionally, our Governor has implemented a new, yearly fee for automobile registration, and also added more to the price of a gallon of gas. Plus, there are a lot of tricky, property tax add-ons here, which many municipalities utilize to help balance their budgets. So, in my opinion, California is too expensive for retirees of modest means, like myself.

But, if you can 'take the heat,' as it were, then the best 'buy' I've found in all the western states, are the 'Villas' at Robson Ranch in Eloy, which is near Casa Grande, AZ. They are energy-efficient, single-story townhomes, and are also well designed, space-wise; plus, all outside maintenance is taken care of for a reasonable, monthly charge. In the negative, though, Eloy is hot, and the town doesn't have the social diversity, and variety of experiences, that Tucson has to offer.

Well, I hope those ideas offer some food-for-thought for your ongoing research.

Best wishes,

Dean W.

Last edited by Dean W.; 05-24-2017 at 03:08 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 06:27 AM

37 posts, read 31,716 times
Dean-
Thank you so much!
Planning on retiring in the next year. Used to living in a med sized city- 400,000. Definitely want to leave snow & ice in the winter and humidity in the summer. Taxation is definitely an issue, will be relying on pension & income from investments, not SS. This is one reason I was looking at age restricted areas- property tax values might be more reasonable and being single, more opportunities for involvement-- don't want to become a hermit.

Like a casual atmosphere, but amenities available. Dog-friendly, gay-friendly and outdoor activities (golf, hiking, recumbent triking, racquet sports) are a plus. Yes, I want it all.

Familiar with Green Valley and GVR- at least from the 1980s to early 2005. I have been visiting Tucson during the summers and have enjoyed it. Not as heat-tolerant as I used to be, but love sunshine.

Places I've considered were GV, Saddlebrooke, Boise, ID, St. George, UT. Since I've been on this forum, have begun to wonder about Carson City & Henderson, NV. I have never been to either place.
So, still have quite a bit of research to do. I don't think I could afford CA being from the Midwest- housing differential.

I certainly appreciate your feedback! Thank you again

Old 05-24-2017, 09:06 AM

nescotter –

I've also considered Nevada because of its senior-friendly approach to taxation. But, as I have relatives who'd lived close to Reno, I can tell you that the weather in parts of NV is odd, and aside from some areas with heavy snow, continual 'wind' can be a real issue, but one that a visitor might not take note of. Also, the lack of social diversity can be an issue, as well.

Overall, I'm a big fan of Tucson, when everything is weighed-out; but, 'hot and dry' is how things roll there for much of the year; plus, it can cost a bit to run one's A/C year-round, so that has to be factored into a retiree's budget, in my opinion.

If you find any places that you particularly like, please post back!

Dean W.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:23 PM

37 posts, read 31,716 times
Dean--

Still keep coming back to TUC, but also wondering about ABQ and possibly las Cruces (probably too small).

Old 06-03-2017, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,972 times
Hi Dean. I was intrigued and surprised by your concerns regarding water issues and the other safety issues you mentioned. I did some checking, as none of these were mentioned when I was looking here in SB.

The water issue in all of Southern Az is of concern. We do live in the desert. I spoke to a woman friend just last night about this. She was an attorney back east, and has served on the Board of Directors here in SB. She is very bright, knowledgeable, and informed. She mentioned that here in SB we have aquifers that supply most of our water. And although we should all be concerned about conservation, to here knowledge and estimate, in our lifetime, there shouldn't be a problem. SB has been here for well over 20 yrs, has over 3500 nearly 4000 homes. There is no great sell off due to any of the concerns you have mentioned.Truth being, no matter where one lives, the are always issues that exist or arise. I have confidence as do many others who live here that SB will thrive long after we are gone.

Best wishes and good luck in whatever choice you make. I hope wherever you land will live up to your expectations and fill all of your needs!

Old 06-03-2017, 11:30 PM

68 posts, read 101,581 times
Skindep- I think the water and safety issues mentioned were in reference to Green Valley, not SB.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:49 PM

8 posts, read 15,031 times
Default RE Water Safety Issues

We moved to Dove Mountain in Marana AZ after learning of the nuclear waste dump in Saddle Brook Ranch (north of Saddlebrook). There's quite a bit of information on the web about it if you do due diligence. Both Saddlebrook and Saddlebrook Ranch get their water from aquifers. The water at Dove Mountain is Tucson City water.

So far in the 2 months we've been here everyone seems to be nice and don't seem to have problems that we are a gay couple.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:20 PM

679 posts, read 496,250 times
I am a straight white married male in Green Valley, and in my opinion, you would feel welcome here. One would hope that by near retirement age, we would outgrow some of the of the silly prejudices of our youth. I have found that following words of Martin Luther King has served me well. "judge a man not by the color of his skin but by the content of his character". I would expand those words to include man or woman and gender of their mate. I really don't give a damn about color of skin, gender or sexual preference, but I do give a damn about the content of the character of the people I call friends.

I think skindep had a great point about not being defined by being a gay male. Yes, that may be a facet of you life, but you may also be interested in politics, bird watching, being a volunteer, or have dozens of other interests and beliefs that define who you are. I wish you all the best in your search for a comfortable place to retire!

Old 04-16-2019, 06:12 AM

20,274 posts, read 23,808,805 times
There's really no reason today to even announce your Gay as people will intuit it anyway. Aren't we long past that?

I'm Gay and moved into a 55+ community and I just assume, when I tell them I have a roommate that's been with me for 19 years (and no, we're not a pair, strictly roommates) they think we both are Gay.

Little by little, I find out my backyard neighbor is Gay and his partner has a house one street over, and they take night time strolls together. Down the street, 4 Gay men share a huge double wide trailer. And there's a Gay couple that come down for the winter, well known in the community for being Gay.

Of course, if Sigmund Freud had anything to say about, as he suggested we're all born bisexual, he'd term us all bisexual, no Straight or Gay labels.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:02 AM

Hey Moses,

I haven't visited this site in ages, but just checked-in and saw your post. Thanks for the info on Dove Mountain!

Dean W.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson