Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:40 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,195,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Javalina huff and snort while they're using their snouts to rummage for grubs, bugs and plant roots in the soil. My dogs go nuts inside when they hear those sounds. They will also snort and snuff and sound like they're breathing heavily while they're nursing their young, or to round up older youngsters. They also stink like skunks. In November, they go after all the acorns that fall from our oak trees, and with the windows open that time of year, their stench is putrid, a lot like skunks but it doesn't burn your nose, just makes you slightly nauseous.
What I was hearing sounded exactly like regular heavy breathing, not snorting. No smell. It went on for half an hour, probably longer after I stopped listening to it. Loudly talking about calling the sheriff or the BP did not change the pace or volume of the breathing sound at all, so I think it wasn't a person.
I'm hoping it wasn't a mountain lion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 02:09 PM

612 posts, read 1,020,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I'm hoping it wasn't a mountain lion.
The reason I'd vote against the mountain lion or bobcat theory is that these are smart animals who would naturally try to avoid contact with you and would likely leave when you made noise - or at least take care to stop making any noises themselves. A javelina, on the other hand, may be nature's stupidest invention outside of the rocks themselves, and you never can tell what will or won't spook those silly animals. Their breathing can be pretty loud, so perhaps on the other side of the wall, far enough that you wouldn't smell it. I know at my house at night sounds carry surprisingly far.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:16 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,608,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beTucsonan View Post
A javelina, on the other hand, may be nature's stupidest invention outside of the rocks themselves...

Old 05-23-2017, 08:03 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,195,717 times
Quote:
The reason I'd vote against the mountain lion or bobcat theory is that these are smart animals who would naturally try to avoid contact with you and would likely leave when you made noise - or at least take care to stop making any noises themselves. A javelina, on the other hand, may be nature's stupidest invention outside of the rocks themselves, and you never can tell what will or won't spook those silly animals. Their breathing can be pretty loud, so perhaps on the other side of the wall, far enough that you wouldn't smell it. I know at my house at night sounds carry surprisingly far.
Good points

Old 05-24-2017, 12:07 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,569,659 times
Quote:
A javelina, on the other hand, may be nature's stupidest invention outside of the rocks themselves,
I ran out of paper towels cleaning the coffee off my monitor....

A truer statement has never been made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson