Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:48 AM

263 posts, read 230,811 times

Advertisements

I have plenty of opportunities in the Southwest and am very curious to visit and perhaps relocate to this area, Tucson specifically. However, I have read that there's a lot of crime, which leads me to wonder -

How do people handle the heat building up inside of their vehicles? Do you just deal with it for fear of having your vehicle hot-wired?

Crime is very low where I currently live - so I have no qualms about leaving my car windows halfway down. I have used those sun-blockers in the inside of my windshield before, but have found them unfortunately ineffective.

Thanks for any information that you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 11:07 AM

612 posts, read 1,021,007 times
Many people leave their windows cracked, but not half, or fully open. Most people also rely heavily on sun visors, and you'll find clumps of cars around any of the paltry shade trees available. You'll also see folks with a handy cloth for grabbing things like door handles, seat belts and steering wheels which can be transformed from utilitarian items into malicious torture devices when it gets over 100 degrees.

In all, it's really not so bad. It's no worse than living with snow and ice. In fact, having done both, I'd much rather have to deal with a hot car than have to shovel out, scrape the windows and then cross my fingers as I brave an unsalted road. The mistake that most people make with regard to the heat is that they hide from it. If you run from your air-conditioned house to your air conditioned car and then from the car to your air conditioned office, then - yeah - the few times you are out in the heat it will seem unbearable. But if you get yourself out into it - take walks (remember your sunscreen!), etc., it's not too tough to get used to it.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:10 PM

720 posts, read 996,075 times
[quote

In all, it's really not so bad. It's no worse than living with snow and ice. In fact, having done both, I'd much rather have to deal with a hot car than have to shovel out, scrape the windows and then cross my fingers as I brave an unsalted road. The mistake that most people make with regard to the heat is that they hide from it. If you run from your air-conditioned house to your air conditioned car and then from the car to your air conditioned office, then - yeah - the few times you are out in the heat it will seem unbearable. But if you get yourself out into it - take walks (remember your sunscreen!), etc., it's not too tough to get used to it.[/quote]

I just love your positive attitude. A breath of fresh air!

Old 06-21-2017, 12:20 PM

Indeed, this response is much appreciated.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:56 PM

612 posts, read 1,021,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
I just love your positive attitude. A breath of fresh air!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaNative_inCO View Post
Indeed, this response is much appreciated.
Thanks! But, RobertaWa, I think you mean "a breath of superheated, fresh air!!"

Old 06-21-2017, 01:54 PM

4,660 posts, read 1,951,679 times
The greatest car feature i have ever seen is remote start, well worth the dollars to install and be able to start your car and your AC from a distance and have it nice and cool by the time you get there.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:37 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
When you get into the car and turn on your AC, if you open the windows and blast it, the hot air will leave very quickly...I often forget to crack my windows and I've never melted...actually sometimes I enjoy the heat on my body for a few minutes, if I've just left an air conditioned building.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:54 PM

700 posts, read 919,135 times
Yes; I did leave my car windows open; but I also used a car cover every day, even at work. I had a 1970 VW cabriole ragtop convertible, and the sun's strong UV and heat destroy everything that's not metal. It destroys metal, too; just not as fast haha.

I had to replace the top three times in the 15 years I lived there. But it felt wonderful driving around with all the windows open all the time; I didn't need A/C. I got used to it. The fresh air was like heaven. I didn't ever drive around with the convertible top down; remember the Sahara Bedouins and keep the sun off your skin if you want to feel cooler.

In regard to property crime; it made sense just to go ahead and leave the windows down, so no one would break the window -- or worse, go through the ragtop to check for valuables. I came back once and found the glove compartment open and was so glad they just reached in and didn't damage the car. Those tops were expensive. Does it go without saying to not leave valuables in the car? I always took everything with me and never left anything in the trunk either; they can get into the trunk from the dashboard.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:17 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Interesting question, Delmarva . . .

I frequently leave my windows and/or top down on the Chevy and the Jeep has neither a top nor windows, however, I would NEVER consider leaving either vehicle outside overnight.

Tucson definitely has its fair share of crime but not nearly as bad as some of my previous home locations.

Common Sense works wonders.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Interesting question, Delmarva . . .

I frequently leave my windows and/or top down on the Chevy and the Jeep has neither a top nor windows, however, I would NEVER consider leaving either vehicle outside overnight.

Tucson definitely has its fair share of crime but not nearly as bad as some of my previous home locations.

Common Sense works wonders.
Yes -

My regular modus operandi where I currently live is to leave windows halfway down in the daytime and very slightly cracked, if at all, overnight.

There's some harmony there between the temperature and supposed likelihood of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson