Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2018, 03:09 PM

720 posts, read 994,873 times

Advertisements

I wish I could be in Tucson for this. It looks like a great urban hike. I have followed Sirena online on many of her hikes, especially the Arizona Trail which she helped to create.

Someday I hope to meet her in person. She is an inspiration.

https://trailsinspire.com/2018/03/02...e-loop-tucson/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 10:13 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I take a 30-35 mile bike ride through different parts of Tucson four days a week (including this morning). Tucson is one of the best bike riding areas in the western USA, largely thanks to how the loop trails connect so much of the Tucson area together. Each of my bike rides includes some portion of the loop trails. I have covered all of the loop trail routes many, many times. I see lots of walkers / hikers along some portions of the route, especially along Rillito River and Pantano Wash portions.

I do my best to avoid busy times when there are lots of pedestrians along the loop. I am always cautious about a pedestrian suddenly veering sideways that would cause a crash with me. Before passing a walker, I slow down and pass with as much space between them and me as possible. I also ring my loud bell before passing, and often say "passing on the left" when approaching. Sometimes the walkers have earphones on and don't hear me at all, and seem startled when I pass by.

I'll be on the lookout for lots of walkers / hikers on the loop the week of March 17th. I'll slow down and wish them well on their long hike.

This hike is timed along with the official grand opening of the last section of the loop - a connector between the Rillito River trail at Craycroft Rd to the Pantano Wash trail at Tanque Verde Rd. It was opened up to the public a couple of months ago but Mar 17 is the official ceremony for opening of the last link on the loop. I just pedaled that section of the loop today on my way home from a ride on the east side of Tucson that included all of the Pantano wash trail.

Here's a link to the Pima County bike trail maps that includes the loop routes:
https://www.tucsonaz.gov/bicycle/maps

Free paper copies of Pima County bike trail maps are available at public libraries. I always carry extras with me on the bike and give them to out of town visitors that I encounter on rides who ask for directions. They are blown away by the quality of the Pima County bike maps - I have never seen any other place in the US that has such a good map of public bike routes that also makes those maps available to all.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:18 PM

The Loop hike has begun if you feel like following along virtually:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgUBJmHg...=trailsinspire

Wish I was there to join in the fun. Back in blizzard land. March has been brutal!

Old 03-14-2018, 12:26 PM

One more link to the hike:

https://www.facebook.com/TrailsInspi...OY&pnref=story

Old 03-16-2018, 11:14 AM

700 posts, read 918,177 times
People are buying real estate along and because of the Loop; that's cool. Sounds like a great idea.

Quote:
...The Loop began taking shape in the 1980s after flooding along waterways led to the construction of soil-cement banks to protect against future flooding.

"We noticed that people were using them to go out for a walk,” [county spokesman Mark Evans] said. “We did a couple of small paved segments along the Rillito and Santa Cruz rivers in the mid-1980s. They became quite popular, and a river park concept was developed out of that.”

As new segments were added over the years, the route attracted not only county residents but lots of tourists.

“The lodging industry now promotes it quite heavily, and some real estate agents say people seek properties near The Loop...” Cont.
The Loop trail around Tucson is complete and celebrations are planned | Local news | tucson.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: