Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 11:27 AM

9 posts, read 16,134 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Casa Grande Az to purchase a home in either Vail, Sahuarita or Green Valley. I've "scoped" out these communities and saw many positives to each as well as potential negatives. My concerns are with the railroad that appears to run virtually down the middle of each community as well as the interstate. How assaulting is the noise level and which neighborhoods should I steer clear of? Visually, I didn't like to copper mine mounds and wonder if there are "disturbances" due to active mines. Also, for Green Valley residents, how happy are you with the deed-restricted GVR membership. I'm not sure that that covenant is beneficial or not (especially when not offered an option to cancel...and it looked to most classes had fees on top of the membership costs).
I'm 57, retired, single and have a daughter who lives in Tucson. I am looking for an area where I can stay active and make friends! I also have 3 small dogs and will need an HOA that will allow for them (I made a commitment).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 09:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsissy61 View Post
Also, for Green Valley residents, how happy are you with the deed-restricted GVR membership. I'm not sure that that covenant is beneficial or not (especially when not offered an option to cancel...and it looked to most classes had fees on top of the membership costs).
I'm 57, retired, single and have a daughter who lives in Tucson. I am looking for an area where I can stay active and make friends! I also have 3 small dogs and will need an HOA that will allow for them (I made a commitment).

Personally, I would NOT have purchased a home in Green Valley unless it was connected to Green valley Recreation. For a $2500 one-time initiation fee and $475/ year, we get the following:

Access to 13 pools.
Access to 5 gyms.
Admission to a number of movies and other free recreational opportunities
Access to dozens of clubs and all of the resources that they offer.
A ton of opportunities to meet hundreds of similarly minded people.

In Chicago, we were paying $125 PER MONTH for a single gym and a couple of pools.

Most people in Green valley have dogs and they are generally accepted as long as people follow the Pima County ordinances - leash the dogs, pick up after them, and keep them quiet. Or let them run and let the local coyote population have a meal.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:55 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,860,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsissy61 View Post
I am moving from Casa Grande Az to purchase a home in either Vail, Sahuarita or Green Valley. I've "scoped" out these communities and saw many positives to each as well as potential negatives. My concerns are with the railroad that appears to run virtually down the middle of each community as well as the interstate. How assaulting is the noise level and which neighborhoods should I steer clear of? Visually, I didn't like to copper mine mounds and wonder if there are "disturbances" due to active mines. Also, for Green Valley residents, how happy are you with the deed-restricted GVR membership. I'm not sure that that covenant is beneficial or not (especially when not offered an option to cancel...and it looked to most classes had fees on top of the membership costs).

One thing to keep in mind is that the Mines are the reason Green Valley, Sahuarita and Vail even exist. It is kind of like when someone buys a home near an airport that has been there for 50 years and wants the airport to move. Having said that, When I moved here 4 years ago from Oregon, I looked at the same towns you are looking at and I chose Green Valley mainly because I am retirement age, however not yet retired. Vail seemed too far out for me. Sahuarita is a planned community with houses way too close to each other for my taste, and they have 2 story homes as well which I was not interested in considering that I do not want to be running up and down stairs at my age. Yes, there is a freeway and some train tracks, but there are not that many trains that pass through. I live on a property that backs up to the freeway and it does not bother me at all. Once you get a few blocks off the freeway, you can still hear it, but it becomes white noise.

I have a Green Valley centric Youtube channel. Feel free to look through it. It is just unfiltered video of Green Valley and the surrounding area, and not some slick advertisement type of thing. I do not monetize my channel, so there are no commercials and I am not paid for clicks. I put this channel together to make more information available to people like you who are looking to move to the area. Here is a link to my channel if you care to have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8U...e_polymer=true

Good luck in your quest!

Old 05-14-2018, 12:14 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
I can attest to Bart's YouTube channel being a great Green Valley resource. While I intend to settle in Central Arizona, it's certainly piqued my interest in Green Valley.

If you go look, be sure to check out the video of the 113 degree day last year.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I can attest to Bart's YouTube channel being a great Green Valley resource. While I intend to settle in Central Arizona, it's certainly piqued my interest in Green Valley.

If you go look, be sure to check out the video of the 113 degree day last year.

I think there was ONE day that was that hot last year in Green valley. I would not have noticed it if one of my friends had not texted me that day from Chicago.

In general, 105F is generally the worst you encounter in many summers.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:23 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,860,828 times
Check out this article: Tucson records 3 straight days of 115 or higher for first time ever | Local news | tucson.com

Not trying to scare anyone away, but last year was a hot year. There were close to a dozen days of 110 degrees and above. And it is totally normal to have dozens of at or above 100 degree days in any given year. Here is a link to an interesting chart: https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/twc/climate...00s_yearly.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson