U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 05:18 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,263,006 times

Advertisements

What is Tanque Verde like? Is it a good place for families? We used to live in Oro Valley and I liked it a lot. We've since moved out of AZ, but I'd like to move back and am wondering about Tanque Verde. I will still consider OV, but want to hear what else is out there.

We can spend up to about $1Million and would like a really safe, family-friendly area. Schools aren't that big deal--we can do private if need be, but will do public if they are good. That's not a dealbreaker though.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 02:44 PM

Anyone? Anything at all on Tanque Verde? I can't find much by googling. Thanks!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:29 PM

42,835 posts, read 84,950,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Anyone? Anything at all on Tanque Verde? I can't find much by googling. Thanks!
What do you wanna know.? Tanque Verde is a street... Runs through a nice part of town.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:46 PM

Thanks for responding.

Well, I'm wondering about the part of town referred to as Tanque Verde, not just the road. I found stats on this area of town like mean income, etc. but I wanted more to get a feel for it. Money magazine rated it in its Top 100 places to live a couple of years back, and it apparently has the highest income in the Tucson area. That can be fine or not so fine depending on whether there's a snobby flavor to it. I know we could afford it, but if it's got a snobby feel, I'd rather live in Oro Valley, which from my experience living there, does not (I don't want my kids growing up snobs!).

Other things...Is it rural? There is also mention of horse properties out there more than other parts of Tucson, so I know there are some properties w/more land, but is that the norm there, or are there also more "neighborhoody" areas w/kids running around? Is there shopping around there? I'm not at all a big shopper but would I need to head over to the Foothills when I needed something other than groceries or are there some good spots there? Just general questions like that.

I don't know what the boundaries are on the area referred to as Tanque Verde, but I'd love some insight on what makes it different from other parts of town. What's the "flavor" there?

Thanks.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for responding.
Sure.

Quote:
Well, I'm wondering about the part of town referred to as Tanque Verde, not just the road. I found stats on this area of town like mean income, etc. but I wanted more to get a feel for it. Money magazine rated it in its Top 100 places to live a couple of years back, and it apparently has the highest income in the Tucson area. That can be fine or not so fine depending on whether there's a snobby flavor to it. I know we could afford it, but if it's got a snobby feel, I'd rather live in Oro Valley, which from my experience living there, does not (I don't want my kids growing up snobs!). Other things...Is it rural? There is also mention of horse properties out there more than other parts of Tucson, so I know there are some properties w/more land, but is that the norm there, or are there also more "neighborhoody" areas w/kids running around? Is there shopping around there? I'm not at all a big shopper but would I need to head over to the Foothills when I needed something other than groceries or are there some good spots there? Just general questions like that.

I don't know what the boundaries are on the area referred to as Tanque Verde, but I'd love some insight on what makes it different from other parts of town. What's the "flavor" there?

Thanks.
You can look up zip code 85749. It does have the highest income in town, I believe. The area doesn't have a snobbish feel to it, though. There are some million-dollar houses on the way up to Mt. Lemmon, but not too many of them. It's nothing like Oro Valley. The houses sit on big lots or on acres of desert. No developments, HOAs, etc., as far as I know in this part. Yes, there are a lot of horse properties. Some areas are more isolated than others, but there is shopping nearby. Kids running around... probably not... I don't know. Tanque Verde school district is considered decent. There are some subdivisions and even apartment complexes in some parts of 85749. That's where the stores are.

Here's a map:

http://images.tucson.com/ezaccess/ez...ipcode_map.gif

Old 04-01-2008, 05:32 PM

Thank you so much. This was just what I was looking for!!

It may not match what we're looking for--I don't really want cookie cutter stuff, but would probably like houses close enough kids can head out the door and walk to a friend's. Nice that it's not snobby though....that's why we didn't live in the Foothills last time. Heard the schools were really good but terribly snobby. I have no desire to have my kids grow up feeling some sense of entitlement.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much. This was just what I was looking for!!

It may not match what we're looking for--I don't really want cookie cutter stuff, but would probably like houses close enough kids can head out the door and walk to a friend's. Nice that it's not snobby though....that's why we didn't live in the Foothills last time. Heard the schools were really good but terribly snobby. I have no desire to have my kids grow up feeling some sense of entitlement.
Glad to be of help. The majority of the houses are not cookies by any means. Actually, the only development of this type that comes to my mind in this zip code would be the The Lakes at Castle Rock. I like it myself, but it's gated, has HOA, etc.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:49 PM

163 posts, read 789,013 times
try looking at longrealty website.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 AM

14 posts, read 60,007 times
IMO, Dont look @ Long Realty's site. It is very bias.

Tucson MLS . You can use the public search function to find anything in the Tucson area.

I personally like the Tanque Verde area. Great properties and tons of space.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:56 PM

One more question: what's crime like in Tanque Verde? I know it's almost non-existant in OV and I"m wondering whether there is more in TV b/c of its proximity to downtown area, or if it's far enough removed? I know several people in the Foothills who have been broken into and I wouldn't particularly want to buy into that likelihood if possible.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson