Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 08:30 AM

983 posts, read 995,187 times

Advertisements

Went to Mi Nidito yesterday. Had the President’s plate. Dang, Bill Clinton sure could eat!
I got through about half of it. Any more and I would have been in a coma!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 11:28 PM

404 posts, read 480,700 times
The wife and I are currently in San Antonio working our way to Tucson for the winter. We visited Fredericksburg, a small town north of here, where I got into a conversation with a shop owner about how good Mexican food is in SA. He starts telling me about a place in Tucson where the food was so good but couldn't remember the name. But he said they had ladies who would come to your table and make fresh salsa on the spot. Of course he was talking about one of our favorite places in Tucson - Guadalajara Original Grill on Prince Rd.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:01 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,921 times
Both times I've been to El Gorrion on S 12th Ave, I've been very satisfied with their green and red chile burrito plates. It's a little hole in the wall, but those are sometimes the best kept secrets.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:46 AM

17,792 posts, read 13,687,653 times
El Torero in south Tucson is but the food is great and the atmosphere is extremely festive. It is a dump, but it's a lot more like eating in a Mexican border town than anywhere else in Tucson. Real popular with the old time Tucson natives because it's been there for 60 years. Same location.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:09 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
Both times I've been to El Gorrion on S 12th Ave, I've been very satisfied with their green and red chile burrito plates. It's a little hole in the wall, but those are sometimes the best kept secrets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
El Torero in south Tucson is but the food is great and the atmosphere is extremely festive. It is a dump, but it's a lot more like eating in a Mexican border town than anywhere else in Tucson. Real popular with the old time Tucson natives because it's been there for 60 years. Same location.
I've wondered how health department personnel react and what they actually do as they periodically arrive to inspect these little eateries, which people continually refer to lovingly as "dumps" and so-called "hole-in-the-walls"?

Surely they don't give them a pass, just because they meet peoples' expectations regarding the normally dismal accommodations -- as long as the food is "acceptable"?

Old 09-28-2018, 01:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
I've wondered how health department personnel react and what they actually do as they periodically arrive to inspect these little eateries, which people continually refer to lovingly as "dumps" and so-called "hole-in-the-walls"?

Surely they don't give them a pass, just because they meet peoples' expectations regarding the normally dismal accommodations -- as long as the food is "acceptable"?

Have you actually been in El Gorreon? I have been there a dozen times and the place has been very clean.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:39 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post

I was in the cooking business in Tucson. The health department takes a sort of “relaxed” approach especially compared to Maricopa County. Usually the owner will schmooze and talk to the inspector the entire time he’s there and they all seem to know each other.

When I restaurant failing in Tucson I immediately know they were doing an objectively bad job, not just little things.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:44 PM

404 posts, read 480,700 times
The one time we ate at El Gorreon the food was good and the place ok, but they tacked an additional $2 onto our debit card. It wasn't worth going back to dispute, but still.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:00 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan57 View Post
The one time we ate at El Gorreon the food was good and the place ok, but they tacked an additional $2 onto our debit card. It wasn't worth going back to dispute, but still.
I've seen similar tactics used at south side Viva Burrito restaurants (which I do not recommend). They tack on a $0.25 charge here or there for a side of sour cream or something else you didn't order. Unscrupulous.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:22 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Have you actually been in El Gorreon? I have been there a dozen times and the place has been very clean.
Good to know. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson