Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,371 times

Advertisements

Good day all,

My wife and I are preparing to relocate to the Sahuarita area in the next several months. We have a child who will be starting 6th grade, so schools are a concern. I have read a few threads on here, but some are rather dated.

It looks like the schools in Rancho Sahuarita are better, and I read several poor reviews on the Continental district. Does anyone have any feedback?

Also, anyone know the current HOA fees? Last I saw, Rancho is around $140 a month. What about the Madera communities?

I also saw that Rancho residents must pay for fire protection from Rural Metro, what does that cost?

Ideally we would find a 3-4 bedroom house with a 3 car garage under 400k on the biggest lot possible. We would really like to land in a good school area.

I am trying to get a better feel for total monthly costs involved with the area, as well as any areas we should avoid or focus our search.

Thanks for any help or insight anyone has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 11:29 PM

757 posts, read 830,087 times
I am a little mystified. You seem to have made up your mind to settle in S but you have questions about some important aspects. Sounds like you have things in the wrong order.

With that said, I have heard that the schools there are decent bearing in mind that Pima County schools struggle to keep good teachers due to financing and the typical issues with the stress of teaching.

Hopefully others can address the money questions.

Good luck on your move.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:26 PM

461 posts, read 1,307,868 times
Look into Sahuarita Highlands which has 1-2 acre lots. Although it's built out already, there might be a couple of properties for sale. I've heard someone in the neighborhood will be listing their home any day now. Everyone in Sahuarita must pay for fire protection, not just rancho. It depends on the sqft of your home. Call Rural Metro and ask appx what it would cost you. We pay around $700/yr for over 3000sqft. I can't help you with the kids and school aspect. Join the FB page: Residents of Rancho Sahuarita. You will have all of your questions answered there. I lived in Rancho for over 10 yrs. I left because it became very overcrowded. A lot of traffic, gym and pool always packed.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 4,371 times
Thanks all for your replies.

The reason we "settled" on the area is because my wife will be working in Nogales and I will be working in Tucson. So, Sahuarita gets us in roughly the middle.

I would appreciate any other thoughts others have.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:52 AM

9 posts, read 15,859 times
Check out Encore at Madera Highlands. The price and lot size fall within your wishes and it's BEAUTIFUL! Scenic, wildlife, quiet.
I don't know if the HOA fees are different than mine (I live in Prelude at Madera Highlands) and my fees are $28 monthly. Pool, tennis courts, dog parks, child parks.
I do not have school age children so, I can't help with info in that area, but there are a lot of school age children in this area.
I love it here. It's not crowded like Rancho. It's safe, quiet, friendly and you'll see people out enjoying the beautiful weather everyday. There's plenty of outdoor activities for the whole family.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:39 AM

16,365 posts, read 30,083,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperstate View Post
Good day all,

My wife and I are preparing to relocate to the Sahuarita area in the next several months. We have a child who will be starting 6th grade, so schools are a concern. I have read a few threads on here, but some are rather dated.

It looks like the schools in Rancho Sahuarita are better, and I read several poor reviews on the Continental district. Does anyone have any feedback?

Also, anyone know the current HOA fees? Last I saw, Rancho is around $140 a month. What about the Madera communities?

I also saw that Rancho residents must pay for fire protection from Rural Metro, what does that cost?

Ideally we would find a 3-4 bedroom house with a 3 car garage under 400k on the biggest lot possible. We would really like to land in a good school area.

I am trying to get a better feel for total monthly costs involved with the area, as well as any areas we should avoid or focus our search.

Thanks for any help or insight anyone has.

Let's address a few of the issues.

First, I have done a lot of corporate recruiting over the years before I retired to the Green Valley area. For me, it would be hard to relocate to this area if I had children as I do not think that the schools are very good. Some school districts are better than others but nearly every public school district in this area suffers from underfunding. This makes it difficult for school districts like Sahuarita to retain teachers from year to year. The good ones can find a job making more and move on. Most of the parents that have children in Sahuarita schools are satisfied with them.

Continental USD is ONE K-8 school located in Green Valley. Students attend that school until completing 8th grade and then choose whatever high school in Tucson, Sahuarita, or Rio Rico that they wish to attend at the district's expense. Continental also has funding problems as 90% of the population in the area is 55+ and will NEVER approve a school tax increase. If you are planning to live in Sahuarita, you will not be going to Continental School.

Have you called the Sahuarita Town Hall? They should be able to answer specific questions regarding the fire protection district.

Your big expense is going to be the commuting costs as you are signing up for 150+ miles of driving per work day. That commute both ways is going to be a killer of any vehicle.

One warning. Every year, there is generally several fatalities along I-19 related to people who are commuting between Nogales and Tucson. While the road is decent and you generally don't need to worry about snow and ice, fatigue sets in. BP employees seem to suffer a lot from fatigue during their commute.

I hope that helps.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:52 AM

807 posts, read 852,462 times
The local newspaper is also a good way to get the feel for a community:

https://www.sahuaritasun.com/

Old 03-23-2019, 09:50 AM

62 posts, read 103,422 times
you can check HOA fees on GVSAR.com. Are the fees for fire department services on top of Pima county property taxes which are already 2nd highest in the state?

Old 03-23-2019, 11:24 AM

16,365 posts, read 30,083,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie bird dog View Post
Are the fees for fire department services on top of Pima county property taxes which are already 2nd highest in the state?

And the property taxes are generally 20-30% of what most of my neighbors paid prior to moving to this area.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:10 PM

62 posts, read 103,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
And the property taxes are generally 20-30% of what most of my neighbors paid prior to moving to this area.
Although I am grateful for all comments and information, I fail to see how that applies to my question. I was not complaining about or commenting on the tax rate, just noting that it was higher than most of the state. If the fee for fire protection is $700 a year for a home over 3000 sf and other locations in Pima county have the same property tax due and it includes fire protection, I would think that it could be some important information to have. All useful information is of value to those setting budgets. I really don't care what taxes are charged in other states, I am moving to Arizona. HOA fees vary greatly from on subdivision to another depending on debt and amenities, the same with utilities, those types of information can all be valuable in decision making. thank you to all who have been helpful over the past couple of years!!! (By the way, I paid taxes for my children to go to public school, thought I could do better so paid for alternative education. Paid twice to educate my children, all are successful financially and in life.)

Last edited by okie bird dog; 03-23-2019 at 10:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson