Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:47 PM

161 posts, read 693,153 times

Advertisements

Google maps puts that right in downtown. Honestly, there's a lot of rennovation going on down there right now, and will be for years. A lot of construction and confusion, and not really worth the hassle.

However it's only a few miles from UA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 AM

9 posts, read 22,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paula77 View Post
I'm from Massachusetts and my inlaws want us to move in with them; they live on E-28th Street. Does anyone know about this area? Also I keep hearing that the school system in Tucson sucks and if we moved there, my daughter would be going to Corbette school. I'm so scared to make this big move, I've lived in New England my whole life. Thanks everyone (:
We have lived in East Tucson since 1971 moving from CA. All our 4 children went to TUSD schools successfully -Dunham-Secrist-Santa Rita. School is what each young person makes it and that has not changed. Those of ours who went to U of A also had a positive experience. The climate will be the biggest change for you, mainly no winter to speak of and the few weeks of humidity in the summer. Just be sure you do not purchase a place with swamp cooling and the weather is just not an issue. We have plenty for family activities to do and see within 1 day drive and you can be in the mountains in 1-4 hours depending where you want to go. The fall, free concerts in the parks by the Tucson Symphony and the Tucson Pops Orchestra were a family tradition for us. They also have a spring schedule but we find that the past 2 years are too hot for us. The children can play outside most of the year and enjoy biking all around town. Good luck with your planning.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:35 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewmn View Post
It's hard to know where to start when you live on the other side of the country and are planning a move!
You can attend schools throughout the district under open enrollment, though the best schools are usually filled up. Chrater schools are very popular, and Corbett has a great Gifted program- it is a gifted magnet.
I have yet to find a safe neighborhood in either South Tucson (that is it's own town) or the south side of Tucson. If you need to work south, I would go to Rancho Sahuarita or Vail and commute.
There are some nasty pockets of town, but they are concentrated in certain areas. You never have to be anywhere near them.
True. Pockets of poverty and/or crime are out there, but that's the same anywhere you go. You gotta find your own little corner of heaven wherever you go. You have to make it work.
Believe it or not, South Tucson used to be a great little working class town at one time. I went to school in the day when TUSD was just Tucson School District. Back then the schools were excellent, but even then had their problems. Not necessarily because it was Tucson, but because schools have problems.
Don't let someone else define a good or bad place for you, although we may be able to give you some very general info. The 29th street area has greatly diminished from whatever greatness it ever had before, for sure! However, if it works for you for a time, then go for it.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:00 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Believe it or not, South Tucson used to be a great little working class town at one time.
Oh, I believe it.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 872 times
I lived on 28th street with my family back in 1970 when my father was stationed at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. I remember it as a safe, delightful place to live. So I was shocked and saddened to see what had become of it when I revisited the area last year. Locals in downtown Tucson warned me not to walk around the area, or to get out of my car if I drove there to look around. Corbett Elementary, my old school, has been shut down, the students having been merged with Wheeler Elementary School students. A Mexican Street gang walked past my car, eyeing me suspiciously. While there I heard so many stories of the high crime rate and how it affects the neighborhood....murder, rape, domestic violence, break ins, theft. It's not the town I knew 40 years ago. Gone also is the beauty I remember---the yard in front of our adobe house was desert back then. Cactus, tumbleweeds, sand. It's been replaced by row after row of ramshackle houses with high fences around them to prevent break ins. No more desert sand, just concrete.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:06 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsxo View Post
I lived on 28th street with my family back in 1970 when my father was stationed at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. I remember it as a safe, delightful place to live. So I was shocked and saddened to see what had become of it when I revisited the area last year. Locals in downtown Tucson warned me not to walk around the area, or to get out of my car if I drove there to look around. Corbett Elementary, my old school, has been shut down, the students having been merged with Wheeler Elementary School students. A Mexican Street gang walked past my car, eyeing me suspiciously. While there I heard so many stories of the high crime rate and how it affects the neighborhood....murder, rape, domestic violence, break ins, theft. It's not the town I knew 40 years ago. Gone also is the beauty I remember---the yard in front of our adobe house was desert back then. Cactus, tumbleweeds, sand. It's been replaced by row after row of ramshackle houses with high fences around them to prevent break ins. No more desert sand, just concrete.
Just out of curiosity, how does one tell a "Mexican street gang" from regular Latino youths in the course of a quick visual? Also, you're replying to a thread that is from 2008, so one would assume the lady from New England has already made her move if she did, indeed, decide to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson