Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 02:12 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The drive up is great though (and any car should be able to do it).

Ken
As long as your transmission's in good shape and you have good brakes - for the way down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 02:22 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
As long as your transmission's in good shape and you have good brakes - for the way down.
Or you have a Flintstones car and thick calluses.

Ken

PS - back during my youth in Michigan we had some friends who actually had a "Flintstones" car. Winter salt had rusted out the bottom so bad you could look down between your feet and see the road whipping past.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:00 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesx7d7 View Post
So now since the road up the Mt. is not that bad (supposedly) would it be possible that I could ride up the Mt. on my Mt. bike?? I ride alot so it's not that crazy of a concept but just for reference sake. Also, how long would it take to get up the Mt. say from Tanque Verde? Bike and car??
Lance Armstrong used to do that ride for part of his training.

I think I could do the downhill part.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
Lance Armstrong used to do that ride for part of his training.

I think I could do the downhill part.
I think I'd be scared to do the downhill part!!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:43 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
I think I'd be scared to do the downhill part!!
Can't you rent a one-way bike? On the way back just find something slippery and sit on it!

Old 05-10-2008, 12:17 AM

38 posts, read 149,408 times
I LOVE the drive up there. I take my Honda (rwd tho) up there and have gone up in my friends barely road worthy car with no problems. I think your only issues is if its snowy...which it isnt now!

I think its about a 25 mile trip to summerhaven...id imagine that takes you from 3000ft, - 9000ft to give you an idea of the incline.

The drive is worth it, and very pretty. I recommend going up right before dark.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:29 AM

Oh, and an important tip for the way down - downshift. Even if you have an automatic, downshift and let your engine do the braking. The few times we've gone up there we always pull over at some of the scenic overlooks... and it never fails, you can always smell somebody's brakes burning.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:38 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Oh, and an important tip for the way down - downshift. Even if you have an automatic, downshift and let your engine do the braking. The few times we've gone up there we always pull over at some of the scenic overlooks... and it never fails, you can always smell somebody's brakes burning.
Great advice! I used to just break at first (as I'm not that used to driving such roads) and sure enough started smelling smoke...

Old 05-12-2008, 09:42 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Oh yeah!!!

Should have thought to mention that myself (DUH!!!!!!).
Gave you a point (and WELL deserved).

Ken

Old 05-16-2008, 08:15 AM

176 posts, read 541,939 times
Go! Go now! Go often. I am from the East and go there at all seasons when I get tired of looking at cactus!
It is a pretty easy drive- but be careful in winter because the can and do close the road.
Many brave souls bike it- but only do that if you are a professional-level cyclist.
It costs to use the road, but not if you are going straight to Summerhaven. Bypass the toll booth, which often has very very long lines, stay in the left lane and go straight to Summerhaven and eat at the Cookie Cabin (outstanding wood-fired cookies and pizza) and have pie at the Mt Lemmon Cafe! Technically, you are not allowed to use so much as a roadside restroom, or to pull into a viewing area on the way up without a permit.
The fire damage has regrown in almost all areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: