Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 06:51 PM

24 posts, read 38,466 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I've always thought that Arizona is such a beautiful state and in the past, we have often thought of relocating there. My question is about Tucson. I keep hearing that there is a ton of crime there and really no place a family would want to move to.

What can you all tell me? Are there nice parts of Tucson that you know of? Of course, we also think about Arizona being a fairly conservative state and we are the opposite. Can you all give me some info?

Thanks,

Elizabeth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 11:52 PM

643 posts, read 684,565 times
You have asked almost the same question on here a year ago. People have given some good places outside of Tucson to consider on your previous threads. As far as your crime question, yes the city of Tucson does have high crime. A lot of it is NOT reported, especially the property crime. I would not try to raise a family in that place. I am sure my opinion will get a bunch of backlash, but I am basing it on having kids and friends who lived in Tucson and had property crime done against them. Also, basing it on a recent dr visit I had. I was around TMC area, parked near an alley that ran between offices and homes. When I was getting into my car, there was a homeless looking guy in the alley. He was sitting against somebodys block wall. He was injecting something into his arm...I do not think it was insulen.Just another day in Tucson.

There are a ton of homeless in the washes and where ever else they can pitch a tent. If somebody says that is not true, then they are in their own world or have blinders on. They do congregate south of the Pantano wash so anything north of there might be ok. You can google where that wash is in Tucson.

As far as the political spectrum goes, Tucson is a urban city and the mayor and council are very liberal.
Here is a crime site rating about Tucson...
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
According to that site, you have a 1 in 25 of being a victim of property crime. I think the 25 number is being generous. Its probably much lower.

Here is your previous thread, the places mentioned are still safer..
https://www.city-data.com/forum/tucs...ta-tucson.html

Last edited by Yac; 05-30-2023 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: abc

Old 05-24-2023, 04:59 AM

5,890 posts, read 3,156,677 times
Just waiting for the usual suspects to jump into this thread with “But it’s not as bad as Oakland, Stockton, or Merced”.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:00 AM

3,815 posts, read 9,397,164 times
I'm learning to preface this with are you planning to move to the actual city of Tucson within the city limits or to any of the suburban areas that surround the city? Where I live has been consistently ranked the first or second safest city in the state of Arizona for years. But drive 10 miles south and it's a different story.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:52 AM

72,797 posts, read 62,084,899 times
I drove to Tucson last December. I spent about 18 hours there (I arrived at night and spent 8 of those hours sleeping). I didn't get the impression that Tucson would be a bad place to be. Then again, I didn't see the entirety of Tucson.

Old 05-24-2023, 02:16 PM

525 posts, read 268,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I drove to Tucson last December. I spent about 18 hours there (I arrived at night and spent 8 of those hours sleeping). I didn't get the impression that Tucson would be a bad place to be. Then again, I didn't see the entirety of Tucson.
I was in Tucson for part of one afternoon last November. In the 2.5 hours I was parked there, some clown pried the gas tank cover off of my 15 year old Rav4 (destroying the cover and denting the body body panel deeply) and stole my gas cap. I still had the 1/2 tank of gas in it though, so I dont know what the idiots intention was. Somewhere off of Glenn street.

Old 05-24-2023, 02:20 PM

16,346 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gengegals3 View Post
I've always thought that Arizona is such a beautiful state and in the past, we have often thought of relocating there. My question is about Tucson. I keep hearing that there is a ton of crime there and really no place a family would want to move to.

What can you all tell me? Are there nice parts of Tucson that you know of? Of course, we also think about Arizona being a fairly conservative state and we are the opposite. Can you all give me some info?

I am in Tucson two or three days a week. I have worked in the housing projects of both St. Louis and Detroit in my younger days so I have a good idea as to what life is like in a declining city.

If I had children, I would be very hesitant to relocate to Tucson. I have been completely unimpressed with the public education system and even some of the parochial schools. There are good districts like Catalina Foothills outside of town. However, I do not think that would be a top school in some of the cities that I have lived.

As for crime, everyone loves to say that the south side of the city, which is largely Hispanic and military, is dangerous. However, I have seen a lot of drug activity in the CBD, especially around Ronstadt Center. I have also seen a lot of bad things along Speedway and Broadway east of the University in some of the "better" areas. And ditto on the drive between the UA campus and the Tucson Mall. Honestly, I spend more time on the Southside and have had no problems down there.

When I moved here, I was on the Sun Trans system three times per week. Now I drive. I saw several assaults like fights on buses, flights at the transit center downtown and attacks on the bus drivers. The last two city transit strikes focused MORE on driver safety than on pay.

The roads are falling apart. They would rather create useless "roundabouts" than to maintain the asphalt around town. Be very careful that you don't step into potholes while walking.

Businesses in Arizona are growing. However, nearly all of the growth is in the Phoenix area. The general impression of Tucson among site planners is that the city is both anti-growth and anti-business. One told me that Tucson is great for low wage jobs like call centers that require people who can converse bilingually. However, why put a factory in Tucson as it is easier to recruit high-end people in Phoenix or put the lower skilled positions in a maquiladora with lower wages.

Old 05-24-2023, 02:32 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,217,569 times
The level of crime usually correlates to the political spectrum of said city. Tucson proper is pretty liberal, so do the math. The safer communities on the outskirts are typically more right-leaning. This goes with any city, really.

Old 05-24-2023, 04:27 PM

86 posts, read 100,339 times
Tucson and its surrounding metro area is like any other medium-sized city. It has areas of high crime levels, and areas where the crime levels are extremely low. We don't live in Tucson, but we are close and therefore up there quite often. We just avoid the areas of higher crime levels, which is something we would do with any city.

Yes, there are nice areas in Tucson. Catalina Foothills and Oro Valley are two of the more well-known nice areas. Yes, there are many families there.

Remember - no matter how bad the crime in Tucson is, it’s not as bad as Oakland, Stockton, or Merced....... :-)

Old 05-25-2023, 05:52 AM

3,815 posts, read 9,397,164 times
I live in Oro Valley and commute into Tucson every day and work off of Glenn. It's a night and day difference. In the past year our fleet at work has lost a dozen catalytic converters despite being behind a 6 foot fence and in a well lit parking lot with security cameras. Now we spend extra money to get cages put in to protect them when we add new vehicles to our fleet. Then we have to remind the people that clean up around our campus to make sure that they do not touch the pieces of tin foil littering our property. Make sure you have gloves on and use a picker to put them in a garbage bag.

Whatever is in the drugs that the homeless are using are turning them into zombies. It's quite sad to see the condition of your fellow man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson