U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:39 PM

27 posts, read 51,221 times
I can't confirm they have cameras at that intersection, but the are very obvious and there are signs marking the intersection.

Being out of state probably means you can ignore the ticket (if they send you one). DO NOT go online to watch the video though. That counts as a legal serve. In Arizona the law is that an officer of the court has to physically serve you, or they have to have some kind of proof you got the ticket. Going online using the code they provide with the mailed ticket counts as a serve. If someone in your home accepts the ticket when the process server shows up that is also a legal serve. Generally they can't server it to a minor or just leave it posted on the door. If they do end up successfully serving you, you do end up paying more for the ticket then if you'd have just paid it when you first got it mailed to you.

From what I've heard it's almost impossible to fight the tickets in court. You have to know what you are doing, know the limits of the law and willing to take a lot of time and energy to actually get into it. At that point start reading up on things online about the topic and get involved in one of the groups on Meetup that are really actively against them.

As far as I understand you have to be inside the intersection before it turns read. This is the imaginary line from one corner of the intersection to the other, that may not be in line with the crosswalk but farther out in the road. Unusually large intersections usually are more difficult to gauge where this line is if you are new to the intersection, you are going faster and don't see the narrower white line that marks the intersection (generally this line tends to fade over time).

From what I've heard
  • 1/3 pay the tickets
  • 1/3 ignore them but get served and end up having to pay more then the original mailed ticket
  • 1/3 ignore the ticket and don't get successfully served.
Fighting the ticket in court seems to be next to impossible, actually you have to appeal it to actually get in front of a judge from what I've heard. In Phoenix there is apparently only one judge who is symptomatic to the citizens and will actually hear the case and usually rule in the drivers favor. The rest a pretty bent on judging against you.

From what I've heard the speeding cameras on the freeways in Phoenix have been turned off. They are still up but not active anymore. I only have one source for that information.

One of the major companies that runs these cameras for the government is a Australian based company.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,409 times
Default ignoring traffic amera ticket

I did call the PD and they told to ignore it is a sure way to get in deeper do-do.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,409 times
Default camera tickets

From what I understand from the PD if I went through when it was yellow, I'm OK even if itt turned res before completing the turn. If the camera flashes, it doesn't mean your going ti get a ticket but automatically takes your picture because you are still out there after it turns red. Kind og like a default (I hope) Thanks so much for taking the time you did.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:48 PM

14,504 posts, read 6,834,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
Oh nasty is right. His first ticket in probably 8-10 years. And they are right. It's a $280 fine. Yikes. Hubby sarcastically said (after he looked at the photos on the back) "At least I was wearing my seatbelt"
tell your hubby to attend traffic safety school. he can do the four hour class, and pay $127 instead of the ticket at $280.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
My understanding of the law is if you are already in the intersection before it turns red,you are legal to finish the turn?
if you are in the intersection when the light turns red, you are ok, and the camera should not flash. the line you are not allowed to cross is the curb line, that imaginary line that goes through the intersection that follows the curb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Here's another question we should ask our knowledgable MVD peeps about...

At an intersection with traffic lights, which vehicle should get to go first:

A. The vehicle getting ready to make a U-turn from the left turn lane with the green arrow, or...
B. The vehicle getting ready to make a right turn from the right turn lane which has the yellow arrow at the same time?

They're both staring at each other right now, so...

Is this a right-of-way issue? Does green supercede yellow? Does the yellow-lighted right turn supercede the green-lighted U-turn?

Or is this a courtesy issue? Should the one with the loudest horn go first? Or, perhaps the one with the reddest, angriest face should go first? Should hand gestures be avoided?
if you are turning right, and you have a yellow arrow, you have toe yield to drivers making a U turn.

one question i have though is, when you are at an intersection where there are TWO right turn lanes, can you turn right on red from either lane as long as it is safe to do so, and the intersection is not marked no right on red?

Old 09-27-2010, 05:09 PM

42,846 posts, read 53,316,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
one question i have though is, when you are at an intersection where there are TWO right turn lanes, can you turn right on red from either lane as long as it is safe to do so, and the intersection is not marked no right on red?
I've wondered about that, too. It seems like most intersections of this nature have the "no turn on red" sign, though.

I don't like double lanes because sometimes people forget where they are or canít see the other lane in bad weather if theyíre unfamiliar with the intersection (thatís how I was gonna hit somebody once). The only accident I ever was in happened when I was in the outer lane, ready to turn right. I very rarely use the outer right lanes, but I just had to this one time. The lady in the INNER turning lane decided to proceed straight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson