U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:07 PM

183 posts, read 371,589 times
Thanks for all the replies. I hope a rental car will be in our budget, because it will be the best option. If not, I can always stay by the pool and work on my tan! BTW, SierraAZ, I'm not ridiculous, just careful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 01:47 PM

2,916 posts, read 5,016,446 times
BTW, SierraAZ, I'm not ridiculous, just careful

Sno, I believe that Sierra means well, but may have thought you were "funnin' us" at first. Normally, Tucson is not a place to have to be as concerned as some of the major cities, but one should always be on the alert - especially a woman.

If I were going to solo as a tourist in some big city like, say NYC, I might just wanna be accompanied by the National Guard at the very least!

Old 07-30-2008, 02:05 PM

42,846 posts, read 53,365,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoshoewalkr View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I hope a rental car will be in our budget, because it will be the best option. If not, I can always stay by the pool and work on my tan! BTW, SierraAZ, I'm not ridiculous, just careful
I'm yet to see tourist attractions in dangerous places (particularly during the day) anywhere in the world, but you're entitled to your concerns, I guess. As you know, “no guts, no glory.”

Old 07-30-2008, 07:10 PM

183 posts, read 371,589 times
Point taken. My concerns are probably unfounded. I really do appreciate any city that makes an effort to be welcoming and safe to visitors.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:31 AM

422 posts, read 804,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm yet to see tourist attractions in dangerous places (particularly during the day) anywhere in the world, but you're entitled to your concerns, I guess. As you know, “no guts, no glory.”
Evidently, you haven't been to Cleveland Ohio yet. Where the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Botanical Gardens are located in the middle of a crime ridden ghetto.That is just one example.

To the OP, your question was not ridiculous. I don't know where you live, but if your point of reference is cities like Detroit etc. you will be pleasantly surprised here in Tucson. There is crime here also but not on the scale of what Detroit is dealing with. Much of the crime here is drug or gang related and most of it takes place in the city of South Tucson, the general south side of the city and the Midtown corridor along Oracle Road.

Once again enjoy your stay here.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:14 AM

"Much of the crime here is drug or gang related and most of it takes place in the city of South Tucson, the general south side of the city and the Midtown corridor along Oracle Road."

Seems to me that crime (in the drug or gang related area) can be attributed to all parts of the city. I doubt that a city one mile square, like South Tucson, can continually be held responsible for so much, although they have some of the cross to bear as well.

I believe that what you will find in these areas (as well as crime) is low income, and certainly, that would include the general southside of the city and the Midtown corridor along Oracle Road as well.

However, there are pockets of low income, poverty, and crime in many parts of the city - and drugs and gang activity could be found in many affluent areas as well.

There was a recent article in the newspaper about drug activity (heroine use among teenagers) in northwest Tucson. Perhaps where people live based on their income has certain bounderies, but crime itself has no bounderies.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 AM

7,891 posts, read 15,651,324 times
Very valid points, Zony . . . BEAUTIFULLY STATED.

Unfortunately, as many as posted, crime is everywhere and most is either directly or indirectly related to illegal drugs.

With that being stated . . . I still feel very safe and secure in Tucson compared to many cities in this country and SnoShoeWalkr, with normal common sense precautions, should not have any major concerns visiting the attractions mentioned.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Very valid points, Zony . . . BEAUTIFULLY STATED.

Unfortunately, as many as posted, crime is everywhere and most is either directly or indirectly related to illegal drugs.

With that being stated . . . I still feel very safe and secure in Tucson compared to many cities in this country and SnoShoeWalkr, with normal common sense precautions, should not have any major concerns visiting the attractions mentioned.

Thanx be unto the Bumster!

Sno, go forth and have fun, for crying out loud!

Old 07-31-2008, 12:35 PM

7,891 posts, read 15,651,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Thanx be unto the Bumster!

Sno, go forth and have fun, for crying out loud!
Absolutely, Zony . . . Great advice!

Remember, SnoShoe . . . just avoid the Rough "Biker" Bars as well as SunTran and you should be just fine. ! ! ! !

Old 07-31-2008, 12:39 PM

42,846 posts, read 53,365,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Absolutely, Zony . . . Great advice!

Remember, SnoShoe . . . just avoid the Rough "Biker" Bars as well as SunTran and you should be just fine. ! ! ! !
C'mon... Geez... some chickens you are! I've been on SunTran a few times when my car was the in the shop and I'm still around to tell about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson