U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Arizona: Tuscon, rental, pilot training, housing, depression.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:42 AM

13,140 posts, read 36,721,696 times

Advertisements

Nothing personal against Albuquerque as the people and economy are great up here but I've had it with the cold winters here after 13 years and i also love Super HOT summer temps with low humidity so i was going to relocate to Southern New Mexico or El Paso as i'm from that area but the HUGE military expansions at all 3 military bases and 2 military ranges down there has dried up the apts rentals in El Paso, Texas and Las Cruces, New Mexico etc..So i'm looking at Tucson.

Questions !!

Is the Airforce base expanding or staying about the same in Tucson??

Most of the 1 br apts in Tucson are under $500 month as they look beautiful...why so inexpensive?? Just the area??

Who's the utility provider?

Lastly until i get an apt if i head out to Tucson i'll stay at an Kitchenette so is there a bad street or avenue like up here it's Central ave as to not stay at as they are crack/prostitute motels.

Thanks again as i'm supposed to move by monday as i'm not signing any leases up here so i gotta make a decision fast....

6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:59 AM

529 posts, read 2,137,318 times
Hey 6/3,

Davis Monthan is one of Tucson's largest employers and has survived two rounds of being on the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) list.

Since the last round a few years ago plans were supposedly made to foster the growth of DM. It is currently the nation's A-10 pilot training center, and when the Joint-Strike Fighter (JSF) phases out the A-10 those are planned to reside here also. A small cadre of F/A-22 Raptors (replacements for the F-15s) will also be stationed at DM.

As far as housing under $500, that probably reflects the neighborhood you're in; what areas are you looking at?

Utility Providers:
Comcast
Cox
Qwest
Southwest Gas
Tucson Electric & Power
Tucson Water

Old 07-31-2008, 08:21 AM

Thanks Michael K. and Great info. Talk about Deja vu as the F-22 Raptors are also going to Holloman AFB in Southern New Mexico and glad to hear that the base in Tucson is sound!

As for where to live it doesn't matter as i don't need a fancy place just as long as i'm not in the ghetto per se. Although i'm not rich etc...I do get income from the Navy every month so i'm not desperate. Also kinda of cool that one of my all time favorite 80's movies ''Can't buy me love'' was filmed in Tucson and at Tucson High school and i like the 80's radio station there 97.5 as i'm listening to it online right now.

Also the Arizona DMV/MVD for Drivers Liscense's/Auto Plates is there just one office or are there offices scattered about the city.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:01 AM

529 posts, read 2,137,318 times
Motor Vehicle Division (http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/OfficeHourssql/scripts/readofficehours.asp?COUNTY=Pima - broken link)

As far as housing goes it really depends on what you want to be close to, if you peruse the Tucson forum you'll see pretty much every neighborhood explained and critiqued.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:31 AM

40,423 posts, read 39,951,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Nothing personal against Albuquerque as the people and economy are great up here but I've had it with the cold winters here after 13 years and i also love Super HOT summer temps with low humidity so i was going to relocate to Southern New Mexico or El Paso as i'm from that area but the HUGE military expansions at all 3 military bases and 2 military ranges down there has dried up the apts rentals in El Paso, Texas and Las Cruces, New Mexico etc..So i'm looking at Tucson.

Questions !!

Is the Airforce base expanding or staying about the same in Tucson??

Most of the 1 br apts in Tucson are under $500 month as they look beautiful...why so inexpensive?? Just the area??

Who's the utility provider?

Lastly until i get an apt if i head out to Tucson i'll stay at an Kitchenette so is there a bad street or avenue like up here it's Central ave as to not stay at as they are crack/prostitute motels.

Thanks again as i'm supposed to move by monday as i'm not signing any leases up here so i gotta make a decision fast....

6/3
Hey 6/3

I was looking at the ABQ boards a while back trying to decide between Tucson and ABQ and I posed the temperature question regarding winter being too "cold" everybody came back saying no, "they aren't that bad". How long does the "cold" actually last there and how bad does it get. I've looked at weather.com and it shows getting down to the 40's during the day.

I'm in So Cal and still trying to decide between Tucson and ABQ. So weather is important to me as well.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:04 PM

Chowhound....everyone's tolerance levels are different so what's cold to me may be nice to others. Living most my life in El Paso/Southerrn New Mexico and also sunny Florida i'm used to hot weather and mild winters. In ABQ i wear a long sleeve sweatshirt for 6 months average every year and that's just not for me. Need lots of HOT and SUNNY weather or i get depressed.

Good luck to ya !!
6/3

Old 11-20-2008, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,704 times
If you have money Tucson is and excellent place to live. The best place to live would be the North Catalina Foothills, Oro Valley, and Vail. It will feel like you are on vacation. If not Tucsons wage is low and is difficult to make a living here. Most people are making 9 to 15 dollars an hour and are struggling which makes it not a happy place. The job market is not very good for the 20 and hour and up range. If you are a professional or have a good paying job and some stability Tucson is a good place. Crime is fairly high in cenral and south parts of town and much of it looks questionable. The weather is great and sunny from October into May. May through September is hot about 100 each day. Usually does not get much hotter than that. So do all your outdoor yard work and activities extremely early or wait until October through April. One thing about Tucson is it cools off at night. I usually get tired of the heat in August. The desert is unique here and you either like it or not, or you get it or not. It has great outdoor activities and for the sports orientated. The traffic is getting heavy as there are no freeways and all stop lights. Tucson is spread out so usually you stay closer to what part of town you live and work. Most of teh jobs are towards the South and the best place to live is in teh North. There is also more remote living available on the outskirts and beyond if you are into that. I would also recommend a pool for those summer months. Expect to pay 200-250K for and okay house in town and in the new developments and really starting at 400K and up for homes in the best parts such as the Catalina Foothills to the North, North-East, North-West. Oro Valley is nice but failry far North-West, Vail is even farther towards the South-East and more newer, and some of the hilly areas to the far West and East which are at the end of town.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:28 PM

4,728 posts, read 7,043,959 times
If you're retired military or former military, couldn't you stay at the Q's or else the bachelor's quarters at DM until you find a place? I know most bases have a 3 day limit, but there could be some space available. Otherwise, there are a lot of apt complexes near U of A on Campbell between River and Prince, and that's a pretty good area. I don't know the names of the complexes, but they're probably pretty well priced.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:26 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,601,302 times
I am in Albuquerque and it gets moderately cold in the winter. It's not like its not cold at all. Temperatures rise a little during the day...up to 40 or so in the winter. The weather continues to be slightly cold in the morning through March... it is cold at least 5-6 months of the year. If you don't like cold weather don't move to Albuquerque. I've just moved back and am not sure I really want to deal with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Hey 6/3

I was looking at the ABQ boards a while back trying to decide between Tucson and ABQ and I posed the temperature question regarding winter being too "cold" everybody came back saying no, "they aren't that bad". How long does the "cold" actually last there and how bad does it get. I've looked at weather.com and it shows getting down to the 40's during the day.

I'm in So Cal and still trying to decide between Tucson and ABQ. So weather is important to me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson