Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,667 times

Advertisements

We also stayed at QC as a preferred guest and agree with Trini. Watch out for the taxes, especially the added bond in the newer areas - and compare with Green Valley. There is a significant difference. High prices, high taxes and being off the beaten path were the show-stoppers for QC. High prices and taxes were show-stoppers for Saddlebrook, although the up-scale people were interesting. For the time being, we decided to remain in our old-folks-reservation (gated, 55+) in California. Next, we'll look into the Del Webbs N. CA, the non-gated in Green Valley and non-retirement in the Tucson hills and Oro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinibeens View Post
Don't live there but stayed at QC as a Preferred Guest a few weeks ago. I've heard that Saddlebrook is much prettier (and more expensive too!), but I can't compare the two because I didn't see Saddlebrook.

I didn't like QC for the following reasons:

1. It's pretty far off the beaten path. After you exit 19, you have to drive about 10-15 minutes on a fairly deserted road that parallels pecan groves on one side and railroad tracks on the other to get to it.

2. At night, even with the windows closed, you can hear the train whistles.

3. The lots are really small, unless you're willing to pay what I thought was a high premium.

4. Most of the lots don't have any views at all, unless you're willing to pay a high premium.

5. It's actually in the town of Suaharita, not Green Valley, so the only recreational center you'll have access to is the one in QC, not the GVRC.

What you might like about it:

1. The golf course has beautiful views.

2. It's gated, and the gate is closed and manned 24/7.

In short, by the time you pay for a premium lot (and some premiums are over $100K), you might be better off buying a resale at Saddlebrook. I understand that at SB all homes are priced over $400K now, with the average about $500K.

Trini
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 05:58 PM

83 posts, read 476,123 times
Default Retirement

I am leaving Arkansas in a month and will be retiring in Tucson. We are not going into a retirement community, but have purchased a home in northeast Tucson. We look forward to the warm climate and the opportunity to make new friends. There seem to be many opportunities for a retiree in Arizona. I am toying with the idea of going back to school, maybe just to take a few interesting courses, maybe to get an MBA or a law degree. Having time to do all that seems exciting. We look forward to living where there is no snow or ice and no chiggers.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:00 AM

4 posts, read 104,949 times
Default we bought in saddlebrook

Looked (for about 6 years now-from Minn) all over, phoenix, gilbert, mesa, green valley, mesa grande and settled on saddlebrook. We close in about a month-so ask again after we've been there-although we will be snowbirds so it'll actually be next fall. We shopped hard, passed on several homes-but finally settled on a new one that has never been lived in and was down about 100k from original asking price. Real estate may fall more but the current market was enough for us to make a move. I think saddlebrook is one of the prettiest places I've ever seen that fits our budget.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:34 AM

10 posts, read 51,856 times
Default Robson Ranch

I live in Robson Ranch -- active adult community that also built Saddlebrook, Sun Lakes, Pebble Creek, and Quail Creek. Robson is semi upscale in price, amenities -- but people are just plain folks. Prices houses differ from one community to another. Saddlebrook most expensive and Robson Ranch least. Rough idea is an 1700 sq. ft house is about $300k when putting in the normal amount of options. Lots vary from near $0 to $100+ for golf course. My guess is Saddlebrook is about 20% higher.

I like RR as it is brand new and will not have too many people for the next 5-8 years. So pool is virtual empty, never a wait for tennis or workout machines, golf course is easy to get on, etc. At other places, like Saddlebrook, it is much more crowded and hard to get great tee times in the Snowbird season (Dec - Apr).

Casa Grande is not a great town, but they are building a brand new regional mall about 4 miles from RR. And the PHX airport is only 45 min away.

If anyone really interested, send me an email.

PS: Many folks have another home/cabin to get away from AZ heat in the May-Sept months. So permanent dwellers have these AZ places to themselves if they stay there.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:25 PM

15 posts, read 75,353 times
Hello

do you know anything about (positive or negative)Canoa Ranch/Las Campanas my wife and I are considering a purchase there? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 02-11-2008, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 18,764 times
Sapman,
Thanks for your posts. Your are about the only source for RR.
I am ready to go to design center next month and I'm looking for some possitive and negative comments on RR. I bought the Laguna as a winter home. I guess with the economy like it is I am nervous and am a little concerned about Robson going broke like so many other builders.
Also would appreciate info on your average winter and summer gas and electric bills. Also, what you pay for property taxes and insurance.
One of your posts mention the new mall not getting the traffic expected. Do you see that as a problem?
If you had to do it all over again, would you still have bought at RR?
I am getting emails from Del Webb and others with huge discounts and incentives and wounder if I should forfit my deposit and wait. Do you know what RR incentives are currently?
Thaks so much dor any info you can give me.
Dessert Rat

Old 03-13-2008, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 9,085 times
Trini, do you have family where you live now? You know, like grown adult children who have gone on to have your grand children? Consider using your AZ house as a temporary home that you go back and forth to. Too many grandparents are so important to the grandchildren. They grow to better adults with the support and love of grnadparents going to their school functions, praising their achievements. You are important to in their lives. Have no kids - then go for it!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:56 AM

10 posts, read 51,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessert Rat View Post
Sapman,
Thanks for your posts. Your are about the only source for RR.
I am ready to go to design center next month and I'm looking for some possitive and negative comments on RR. I bought the Laguna as a winter home. I guess with the economy like it is I am nervous and am a little concerned about Robson going broke like so many other builders.
Also would appreciate info on your average winter and summer gas and electric bills. Also, what you pay for property taxes and insurance.
One of your posts mention the new mall not getting the traffic expected. Do you see that as a problem?
If you had to do it all over again, would you still have bought at RR?
I am getting emails from Del Webb and others with huge discounts and incentives and wounder if I should forfit my deposit and wait. Do you know what RR incentives are currently?
Thaks so much dor any info you can give me.
Dessert Rat
I have some of info. My last yrs taxes were about 2,000 -- but I do have a larger house that the one you are buying. I think Robson is in good financial condition. If you had contacted me before you bought, i would have suggested some good "resales" that investors purchased during the go go days and have been on market for a yr. or more. The people at RR are fantasic (very down to earth) and lots of interaction. If you want more info - you can call me at 217-417-1507. I am not a realtor, just a resident who has been here about 18 months. SAPMAN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson