Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2009, 11:18 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
No apology necessary as you've totally misinterpreted. I'm very happy, thank you, without a bit of jealousy. I understand your defensive nature, however. It's only natural to defend one's turf whether it be by going off topic or otherwise. The problem we frequently see is fanboy bias tends to cloud the facts. Objective or dispassionate appraisal is often scorned as hostile, especially from those who don't like what they hear, even if factual.

If anything I feel a bit of pity for those who become so defensive. This suggests they have true reason to be defensive, typically insecurity issues. I also pity those who find themselves stuck without the good fortune as I to be able to choose where to live. Younger career oriented types have better opportunities elsewhere. Older folks understandably like it ... less cold tolerant than the younger set generally.

To the subject of Michigan permit me to clear up your misunderstanding. Michigan, as in AZ has its troubles but is far from depressing, a virtual paradise for those who enjoy 4 seasons, greenery, water, fishing, boating, hiking, biking, snow skiing, canoeing, festivals, concerts, top notch colleges, etc. It is vibrant and alive, the west and central part of the state in particular plus suburban Detroit, with an amazing amount of housing rehabilitation and urban revival from generations who take pride in their community without the transient aspects of many southwest cities. Plentiful water, windpower, agriculture, tourism, manufacturing capacity, and a booming life sciences industry set the stage for a bright future in a state that is reinventing itself, albeit painfully out of necessity, with a diversified economic base not overly reliant on tourism or real estate.

Curiously I've met more people who've LEFT Arizona to return to Michigan than vice versa though many were younger, disillusioned by what they experienced. Oh, the summer has been magnificent! My gripe is too much sun. Hardly seen a cloud in the last 2 months. My choice was good one. Hopefully will get back to Tucson for a few months, certainly no more.

I appreciate your concern, hopefully you will have a better understanding of yourself and others. Best wishes.

Back to the subject!
The very best to you, actinic. Enjoy Michigan! - ZP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 09:56 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,828 times
This might be fun for 70s Tucson folks. I found three minutes of KWFM radio from 1974(ish) Tucson on one of the tapes my family recorded. I made it into an MP3 you can download and listen to.

It consists of the DJ talking, two commercials and more talking.

This link will last seven days:

YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement

Old 10-01-2009, 02:58 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Quote:
Curiously I've met more people who've LEFT Arizona to return to Michigan than vice versa though many were younger, disillusioned by what they experienced. Oh, the summer has been magnificent! My gripe is too much sun. Hardly seen a cloud in the last 2 months. My choice was good one. Hopefully will get back to Tucson for a few months, certainly no more.
Is there anyway you can get the rest to leave our fair state and return there to your "paradise"? Really I would be all for that!

Old 10-02-2009, 10:31 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,517,566 times
I think there is an important life lesson in this thread: Paradise and Hell are not far apart...and they're both in Michigan.

Paradise Michigan Chamber of Commerce, in the Upper Peninsula

Hell, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-03-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I think there is an important life lesson in this thread: Paradise and Hell are not far apart...and they're both in Michigan.
I guess every state has its paradise... and hell...

Old 10-04-2009, 03:32 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Is there anyway you can get the rest to leave our fair state and return there to your "paradise"? Really I would be all for that!
Follow Michigan's lead ... its doing a great job encouraging people to leave.

I figure another 20% drop in MI population should make it just about perfect, at the expense of other 'fair' states burdened by the new influx you're just as anxious to see go.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:58 PM

259 posts, read 705,537 times
Unless our southern border with Mexico is dealt with, I see nothing but population growth of the worst kind in Arizona's future.
Similar to that of California's out of control growth even though they are in a terrible recession.

For every taxpaying family that leaves Arizona, dozens of illegal non taxpaying families arrive so they can sign up for our well advertised welfare programs.

Last edited by Tanque Verde; 10-04-2009 at 11:14 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 10:01 PM

Oh and by the way, does anybody remember the old Bara Nada Lodge on Pima road near Ridgeway. Nice place. I wonder whatever became of it.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 AM

Oh and another real nice place was the Peacock Inn on FT. Lowell. I think it was between Craycroft and Swan. Or maybe Swan and Columbus. Something like that.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:30 AM

I remember Larry's Hideout on Mission Road... which was later renamed as The Hideout...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson