Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 08:36 AM

137 posts, read 412,353 times

Advertisements

desertbunnee: I am happy to meet you! I didn't go back to check, but I think you were the one who was able to confirm the grocery store name in Amphi Plaza-again, not going back to check, but thinking Goodman's (late 50's when I first moved to Tucson) then Lucky's in the 60's? I was gone by the time it became Abco but that sounds familiar, too.

I think Eegee's was after my time, also But prob'ly saw it when going back to visit my family, which I did for years after.

And the drive-in with the great burger boats was Frostop, close enough to Amphi that we could drive over on our lunch hour. Really sorry if you had to miss that and I do not know when they went away Maybe O'Man does? or one of the others?

I'm sure you graduated after me but am excited to hear that you shared some of the same teachers as me and the O'Man!
I remember there being a narc at Amphi but not his name - someone I might find in one of my yearbooks?

If there was an alley leading to the DQ near my place on Windsor, I definitely would have used it, especially when pushing a baby stroller! I just remember desert! Lots of desert! And it sounds like you are still living in Tucson - very cool.

Thanks for posting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 11:09 AM

406 posts, read 619,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbunnee View Post
I have tried to read all the posts since my last one, a lot of interesting stuff here!

Anyone remember the small eegee's stand at the corner of Oracle and Prince? Back when they only sold eegee's drinks and pretzels? Eventually it turned into an actual eegee's store but now it's a Los Betos or something like that. And there was the miniature golf course at Oracle and Prince too. I can't remember what it was called. Maybe someone already mentioned that...

On Prince Road, across from Amphi Jr. High was Mr. Ed's. Kids used to go there after school and get soda, ice cream or whatever else they sold. Walk up window, picnic benches on the side if I remember correctly.

When I was at Amphi High, I remember a house just across the street (north side). The tennis courts were also on the north side as was the softball field. There were those huge salt cedar trees around it. The rest of that land was a lot of desert but I do vaguely remember some houses maybe. That could have been Windsor that you all were discussing. I also kind of remember the school narc, Webster, supposedly living there somewhere. There was the alley that went from Yavapai up to the DQ. That's where we would go to smoke. I remember Mr. DePascal, and am pretty sure I had Mr. Rose and I actually did have Mr. Trent for discussion and debate. He was cool, but it was one of those classes where we did absolutely nothing. One day we did something to really make him mad and he threw an eraser at the chalkboard and walked out of class. We didn't know what to do but ended up just leaving class. Ha ha!

In elementary school, I lived in some apartments behind Hancock Fabrics. I remember Marco's Pizza, now Mario's. Mario's is owned by a friend of my husband. At Amphi Plaza the grocery store was Luckys when I lived in the area, I also bought 45's at Jerrold's Drug. Lucky's eventually became ABCO, and now Food City. There was that nice little park behind the shopping center but has long since turned into low income houses. The area has really gone downhill. Boondocks is still there, with the big wine bottle. I don't remember Fastop...it was Don's Drive in when I was in high school, then became Sanchez Burrito Company. They used to have HUGE bean burritos for like a buck. It was Sanchez for years and they had several others around town.

My boyfriend in high school lived at Prince Gardens. The high school party spots (boonies!) were the top of Campbell, the hills of Pontotoc (kegs and crazy late night 4 wheeling!) and occasionally Box Canyon waaaay out off of Tangerine. Before anything was up there.

So many memories.

That is interesting about the Eegees on Oracle and Prince being a stand where only drinks and pretzels were available. I only remember it being an actual store with tables and chairs. There was also a miniature golf place nearby? Do you remember in which direction? What is in the current location of the former miniature golf place? About what time period are you talking about?

On the stretch of Prince Road between Stone and First there was a non-Circle K convenience store, Quik Mart or something. Their logo was a yellow sign with a Q. It was on the south side of the road about where Amphi Jr High would have been. I wonder if that was the former location of Mr. Ed's Kids.

Do you remember the tank that was parked out in front of the liquor store adjacent to Marco's/Mario's? I only got pizza when it was Mario's and can see the tank it is no longer there.

I am glad you acknowledged the wine bottle outside of Boondocks. I had mentioned that at least once.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:37 PM

299 posts, read 375,028 times
Hi all lived in Tucson in the early 70's .. Lived on the east side in Rolling Hills.. Went to Carson Jr. High, Sabino Jr. High, and Santa Rita High for 1 year then moved. I remember the Eegees truck parking across from the school at lunch time.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:28 AM

Welcome, flyboytampabay! Sorry it's so dead around here - I try and pop in every couple days but we seem to be having a dry spell. May is proving to be a busy month for lots of people and I'm guessing that's why. What with promotions, graduations, celebrations for these, even a wedding for us: crazy time and I know my family has had something going every wkend and that'll continue thru Father's Day - 4 more weeks! Whew ...

Anyway, I think eegee's came on the scene in the 70's after I moved away, because I don't remember going there, altho' I know it was there when I went back for visits in ensuing years.

I'm trying to recall Santa Rita High and drawing a blank. Exactly where was it and was it newer? Amphi was older, and on the north side. Did you have an open campus like we did? That was so cool and I'm not sure that all the other high schools did, but I remember that my mom was freaked out when I first went there. I think she thought I would leave for lunch and not bother to come back for the last class or two. And maybe I did...a time or two ...

Old 05-24-2015, 09:22 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,577,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfreeq View Post
Anyway, I think eegee's came on the scene in the 70's after I moved away, because I don't remember going there, altho' I know it was there when I went back for visits in ensuing years.
eegee's Store History Tucson Casa Grande

Old 05-27-2015, 06:22 AM

299 posts, read 375,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfreeq View Post
Welcome, flyboytampabay! Sorry it's so dead around here - I try and pop in every couple days but we seem to be having a dry spell. May is proving to be a busy month for lots of people and I'm guessing that's why. What with promotions, graduations, celebrations for these, even a wedding for us: crazy time and I know my family has had something going every wkend and that'll continue thru Father's Day - 4 more weeks! Whew ...

I'm trying to recall Santa Rita High and drawing a blank. Exactly where was it and was it newer? Amphi was older, and on the north side. Did you have an open campus like we did? That was so cool and I'm not sure that all the other high schools did, but I remember that my mom was freaked out when I first went there. I think she thought I would leave for lunch and not bother to come back for the last class or two. And maybe I did...a time or two ...

Santa Rita is east of Davis Monthan so on the southeast side. It opened about 1970. I don't remember if it was open campus. Back then there was nothing around it, except for a 7-11 and the eegees truck across the street

Old 05-27-2015, 08:35 AM

flyboy: Yeah, if you were that far southeast, that's why I'm not familiar - that and the fact that I moved away around 1970. I did spend abit of time in that direction between '65-'67, when I graduated, because a GF transferred to Palo Verde when she moved her junior year, she was lonesome and we would go over to spend the wkend with her. It seemed at that time, she had moved out to the stix! We also went to a couple dances at Davis-Monthan which were an experience

Maybe you went to eegee's after school, on your way home, esp if all they were serving was pretzels and drinks ... I don't think we understood how HUGE it was to have an open campus back in the day because not all schools did. It taught us how to drive, choose and eat fast ...

Old 05-28-2015, 07:17 PM

89 posts, read 145,631 times
Supersuckers-Santa Rita High

Old 05-31-2015, 01:13 AM

22 posts, read 43,860 times
Default Himmel Park

Forgive me for not running a search on Himmel Park. So if this is redundant, well....... I hitchhiked from Chicago to Boulder in the summer of '70. Stayed there for about a month, then hitched down here. When I first came to town I was looking to find some like minded people. (hippies we were called) So a kind fellow told me to go to Himmel Park at night. Sure enough. Even had a swimming hole. And lots of other things to help relax a weary traveler. I was 17. The whole Himmel Park at night experience fizzled out a few years later. Shame . I have some fond memories of that hill. I was a mail man from '73-83, and my route at the time included Linda Ronstadt's family home on Prince Rd., east of the drive in. During Christmas season I concocted a scheme to meet her by delivering a package to her parent's house and telling whoever answered the door that it was to be delivered to addressee only. In other words, only she could sign for it. I just assumed that she would come down and spend Xmas with her folks. I mean after all, any body that could sing like that surely loved her folks, and spent all holidays with them. But no. Not Linda. I waited for the day when a parcel addressed to her finally came, and I got out of my Jeep, and knocked on the door. A middle aged woman answered. Her Mom, or the maid I assumed." Can I help You " she asked. I told her I had a package for Linda Ronstadt and she needed to sign for it. The woman said she wasn't here right now, and it was alright, she would just take it for her. I had rehearsed this scenario in my head, but when it actually happened I didn't insist that she and only she could sign for it. I just handed over the package and said thank you mam. I was already on shaky ground as far as the duties of my job were concerned. Technically, anybody could have accepted the parcel. But what it really boils down to, is no guts. The original Boondocks lounge on Campbell was on my route too. I heard tell that it was a hangout of Lee Marvin's. Never saw him there, but saw him a couple of times at the circle k at the river and Campbell. Both times around 9 a.m. buying Vodka. I wanted to say something to him, But what ? I enjoy your movies ? Can I have your autograph ? They both sounded kinda silly at the time. Again, no guts. But what do you say to Liberty Valance ?

Old 05-31-2015, 03:52 PM

68 posts, read 214,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack70 View Post
Forgive me for not running a search on Himmel Park. So if this is redundant, well....... I hitchhiked from Chicago to Boulder in the summer of '70. Stayed there for about a month, then hitched down here. When I first came to town I was looking to find some like minded people. (hippies we were called) So a kind fellow told me to go to Himmel Park at night. Sure enough. Even had a swimming hole. And lots of other things to help relax a weary traveler. I was 17. The whole Himmel Park at night experience fizzled out a few years later. Shame . I have some fond memories of that hill. I was a mail man from '73-83, and my route at the time included Linda Ronstadt's family home on Prince Rd., east of the drive in. During Christmas season I concocted a scheme to meet her by delivering a package to her parent's house and telling whoever answered the door that it was to be delivered to addressee only. In other words, only she could sign for it. I just assumed that she would come down and spend Xmas with her folks. I mean after all, any body that could sing like that surely loved her folks, and spent all holidays with them. But no. Not Linda. I waited for the day when a parcel addressed to her finally came, and I got out of my Jeep, and knocked on the door. A middle aged woman answered. Her Mom, or the maid I assumed." Can I help You " she asked. I told her I had a package for Linda Ronstadt and she needed to sign for it. The woman said she wasn't here right now, and it was alright, she would just take it for her. I had rehearsed this scenario in my head, but when it actually happened I didn't insist that she and only she could sign for it. I just handed over the package and said thank you mam. I was already on shaky ground as far as the duties of my job were concerned. Technically, anybody could have accepted the parcel. But what it really boils down to, is no guts. The original Boondocks lounge on Campbell was on my route too. I heard tell that it was a hangout of Lee Marvin's. Never saw him there, but saw him a couple of times at the circle k at the river and Campbell. Both times around 9 a.m. buying Vodka. I wanted to say something to him, But what ? I enjoy your movies ? Can I have your autograph ? They both sounded kinda silly at the time. Again, no guts. But what do you say to Liberty Valance ?
Interesting remembrances, happyjack70. A while back I posted comments about Himmel park "amenities" available. For a while it was a real shopping center for certain needs.

I'm a little confused about the Ronstadt reference. I lived for years just west of the Prince/Campbell Drive-in Theater and never heard of them living nearby. She went to Catalina High, which would have put her farther east, I think. Or maybe the Amphi district ended right at Campbell, not sure. Anyway, thanks for the memories!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson