Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2020, 02:28 PM

137 posts, read 415,721 times

Advertisements

I thought of you guys and this website this morning when my sister, who's sorting pictures these days (as are many during this pandemic, I'm sure texted me one of her and I in 1978 - one of the times (maybe the ONLY time!) I was at the Wildcat House! We're bra-less, wearing bodysuits, sporting permed but long hair, and I've got a pair of flare-legged Dittos (jeans with the saddle stitching on the seat-remember those, girls? they made your butt look good!) I'm sure we thought we looked hot

She reminds me that she had just turned 19 and was old enough to drink (I don't remember that since I left AZ around 1970 and was just home visiting) which would make me 28 at the time.

Drinks are on the house: I've texted her about the Playhouse Lounge and Jeremy's and will let you know what she remembers when she gets back to me BTW, what school did you go to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 02:32 PM

Sorry - Hi, there azmemories!! How are you doing during this crazy time? all good, I hope?
Do I recall correctly that you are back east ? Refresh me

We are so ready for it all be get back to normal? But it's a worry - who would have thought it would go on this long?!

Old 08-04-2020, 10:47 AM

406 posts, read 623,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfreeq View Post
I thought of you guys and this website this morning when my sister, who's sorting pictures these days (as are many during this pandemic, I'm sure texted me one of her and I in 1978 - one of the times (maybe the ONLY time!) I was at the Wildcat House! We're bra-less, wearing bodysuits, sporting permed but long hair, and I've got a pair of flare-legged Dittos (jeans with the saddle stitching on the seat-remember those, girls? they made your butt look good!) I'm sure we thought we looked hot

She reminds me that she had just turned 19 and was old enough to drink (I don't remember that since I left AZ around 1970 and was just home visiting) which would make me 28 at the time.

Drinks are on the house: I've texted her about the Playhouse Lounge and Jeremy's and will let you know what she remembers when she gets back to me BTW, what school did you go to?
Uh-oh, there goes Musicfreeq turning our nice family friendly conversation about Tucson in the old days into something about provocative clothing (tisk tisk)

Don’t post those bra-less photos and risk having our whole discussion thread closed!

Seriously though, pictures are nice to sift through, especially as a memento when speaking about days gone by. 1978 was the year that the U of A and ASU joined the PAC-10 (it was formerly known as the PAC-8). How’s that for useless trivia?

Quote:
Sorry - Hi, there azmemories!! How are you doing during this crazy time? all good, I hope?
Do I recall correctly that you are back east ? Refresh me

We are so ready for it all be get back to normal? But it's a worry - who would have thought it would go on this long?!
Thanks for thinking of me. I do live on the east coast, not far from the place my family traveled from to vacation in Tucson all those years ago, which led to us eventually relocate there. I am doing my best to cope with the pandemic. The most demoralizing part of this ordeal is that there is no longer a definitive end date. The big news today is the tropical storm affecting the area.

I was prompted to do a virtual tour down Stone courtesy of Google Street View. Not much has changed really. It appears that there are more used car lot dealers than from what I remember, two Circle K’s are no longer in existence. The building that was the Wildcat House is still there, just called something else.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,143 times
So many great memories!....Does anyone remember the name of the 5 and dime store, that was in Londontown Shopping Center at Pima and Craycroft, SW corner? It was next to ACE Hardware, back in the early to mid 70's.

Old 09-29-2020, 04:33 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonn8tive View Post
So many great memories!....Does anyone remember the name of the 5 and dime store, that was in Londontown Shopping Center at Pima and Craycroft, SW corner? It was next to ACE Hardware, back in the early to mid 70's.
If it's the one I remember, it was Ben Franklin. It was still there in the early 90s when I lived in Tucson at Fort Lowell and Columbus.

Old 10-20-2020, 06:23 PM

Hi, Guys, we may have talked about this before, but does anyone remember having "The Breadman?" Much like "The Milkman," the Breadman delivered fresh bread (white of course!) back in the late '50's into the '60's? I can remember my cousin and I sitting outside a couple afternoons a week to watch for him and having some change to purchase each of our families a loaf. And sometimes, the moms would spring for an extra indulgence: the cinnamon bread! I want to say the white bread was something like 15 cents a loaf in 1958-59; maybe the cinnamon bread was 20 or 25 cents? Anyone remember this?
Then, of course, we had The Milkman: he came regularly, we must have had "an account," because he would leave several bottles of regular (whole) milk and even a bottle of the (oh-so-gross!) goat's milk my allergic brother needed to drink.

Boy, am I dating myself or what?!

Old 06-09-2021, 09:08 AM

Morning, guys! Every once in awhile, I check in here, and am disappointed that hardly anyone has posted in the past year or longer. You'd think people would have so much time on their hands, they'd be visiting more often?

Wondering how everyone is doing and hoping all is well with the regulars that used to post often - my old ”classmates” and ”neighbors!”

We're fine here in SoCal and about to re-open and hopefully, start to get back to normal. It's sure been weird over the past 15+ months, hasn't it?

I came across a bit of memorabilia the other day from when I lived in an apt. on ”Holaway” back in the late 60's and wondering just where that is? Too many years ago for me to remember but I don't think it was in the Amphi district which is where we lived
from 1958 - 1968. Maybe someone sstill in Tucson can clue me in

Old 08-26-2021, 07:10 AM

406 posts, read 623,460 times
Quote:
Morning, guys! Every once in awhile, I check in here, and am disappointed that hardly anyone has posted in the past year or longer. You'd think people would have so much time on their hands, they'd be visiting more often?

Wondering how everyone is doing and hoping all is well with the regulars that used to post often - my old ”classmates” and ”neighbors!”
I know what you mean Musicfreeq. If this was social media, I would post a Where is Everyone GIF. hahaha

Old 09-06-2021, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,014 times
Default Skating Rink

We went to this skating rink in the mid 60's before I moved back east. It was THE place to go on Friday and Saturday nights, and there were always others you recognized who went there you didn't go to school with. A lot of fun memories.

Old 09-10-2021, 05:59 PM

Jeshmartin: which rink are you referring to: and where? (in case my memory fails me mid 60's is my time frame and my friends and I made the rounds every weekend - esp if there was a live band playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson