U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-30-2008, 03:09 AM

2,252 posts, read 3,861,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
Wow. Really? My kids LOVE Tombstone. And so do we in fact. My son is 3, my middle daughter is 5.5 and my oldest is 8. And we've been twice. Once back in May I think and once in September. We have a great time. Granted we only spent about 4-5 hours when we were there each time. They are looking forward to the next time we go as well.
My kids find it a bit boring. It is okay for the first half hour, after that... I guess the thing is that everything costs something, and we are going to wait until family comes to do the things that cost money. Figure you only need to see the OK Corral shoot-out once anyhow. Then there is Boot Hill, which I really don't know if I want to take my young sons to (I'm a little iffy on the gunfight, even). I suppose the Courthouse could be interesting but really, what else is there for kids? I'm not going to take them to the Bird Cage or Big Nose Kates. We did the stagecoach ride when we first moved here and my sons liked it, but once was enough.

But to each their own.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 AM

690 posts, read 1,354,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
My kids find it a bit boring. It is okay for the first half hour, after that... I guess the thing is that everything costs something, and we are going to wait until family comes to do the things that cost money. Figure you only need to see the OK Corral shoot-out once anyhow. Then there is Boot Hill, which I really don't know if I want to take my young sons to (I'm a little iffy on the gunfight, even). I suppose the Courthouse could be interesting but really, what else is there for kids? I'm not going to take them to the Bird Cage or Big Nose Kates. We did the stagecoach ride when we first moved here and my sons liked it, but once was enough.

But to each their own.
We brought a lunch in the cooler and had a picnic of sorts when we went the first time. The 2nd my inlaws were with us and wanted to go to lunch. We went to some place on the corner where...I can't remember who was brought to the building when he was shot.

There is a Wild West show every day. They do 2 different shows a day. My kids loved it. I think a 17 year old might not enjoy it as much. It's funny with a lady who goes by the name of Texas Kate and her companion man Pigeon Jack. They do a show with rescued animals. We've seen it both times we went. It wasn't too expensive either. They also 'panned' for gems outside of there (This was down in the area called Helldorado town I believe) and really enjoyed that. They went to the petting area where they we bought ice cream cones filled with grain to feed the animals (4 for $1). They love going in and out of the stores looking at all the old fashioned things. The stagecoach ride as well. There was also a small playground there as well. And at the end of the day we hit the ice cream parlor. (Ice cream was $1.60 a cone...not too expensive at all). We just liked walking around and exploring it. And the kids did too. We didn't do the shootout (my kids are a bit young) and we didn't go to Boot Hill,

Like you said...to each their own.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:08 AM

2,252 posts, read 3,861,767 times
Helldorado...I was joking to my MIL when we last went that I think I could paper a small room with their fliers! They try to give me two or three everytime I'm there. But I have never gone...I wanted to when my MIL visited though ($3 margaritas ).

Tombstone is a great place to buy western-themed presents for our family, so that is usually my main reason for going. I did bring the boys for an afternoon during Wyatt Earp days, which was kind of neat because it felt like half the town was dressed up. They have several of these festivals a year, and everyone turns out in period clothing, but I did overhear a couple people talking this week about Helldorado Days (it was this past weekend or the one before) and how there seemed to be more and more bikers in Tombstone (during the festivals, I think) and "not the kind I hang around." I don't think that would make much difference for families, as long as you stay out of the bars!

Okay, so we have turned a Bisbee thread into a Tombstone thread. But seriously, thanks MI_Mom for the description of Helldorado Town--that does sound like something the kids would like.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,159 times
Bisbee is a great little town to explore and stay a night, stay a week or stay forever. Its all in how you look at a new place. Personally, I'd move to Bisbee tomorrow if I had the chance. As for "what to do" in Bisbee---just being there has you doing what you wanted to do. The little shops are great, the restaurants are fabulous and if you get bored then run up and down the many staircases and get some exercise. You might actually see more of Bisbee than you knew existed.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:33 PM

348 posts, read 596,298 times
bisbee is so crazy

Old 07-23-2009, 05:07 PM

1,346 posts, read 1,265,926 times
We just got back from Bisbee which was the second trip for us. We stayed at the Hotel LaMore(Bisbee Inn) the first time and then the Leyton Loft this last time. We enjoy it but we are adults with no kids. Granted, there are some wierd things there but we like to go to the shops, both art and antiques. Also, the High Desert Cafe up at the top of the hill is wonderful. I wish I could talk my wife into moving there. It is quaint but not as touristy as Santa Fe or Taos.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:53 PM

94 posts, read 182,625 times
I've always been interested in Bisbee... it's got a fascinating history.

Bisbee, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems like an odd combination of ghost mining town, vintage hippies and regular folk making nice homes trying to get away from the rat race.

And the climate is cooler because of the altitude.

Very interesting place, when I went to UA we went on a band trip to a place that had a huge copper mine and I suspect it was Bisbee... it had that "you just went through a time warp" feel.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:29 PM

1,346 posts, read 1,265,926 times
I meant to say "Letson Loft" on the Main street there in Bisbee

Old 07-23-2009, 07:50 PM

2,943 posts, read 3,688,815 times
Bisbee is interesting to visit, but with kids, one probably does not want to spend a weekend there. Personally, I'd stay in Sierra Vista (more hotel choices) and the kids will LOVE splashing at The Cove (awesome city pool). Benson, Bisbee, Wilcox, Tombstone and other small desert towns are not far away, and a quick Google search will give you ideas of what one can do and/or see in each place. Back issues of Arizona Highway's magazine can also have helpful information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson