U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-12-2008, 02:23 PM

1,031 posts, read 806,132 times
Talking desparate relocation from seattle; thinking tucson!

Hey guys!

I am a native Californian born and raised, went to college in Arizona from 2003-2007 and just took my first job in Seattle about a year ago.

I absolutely cant STAND it up here! The weather is crappy year round, the people are cold and smug and the city has a lousy atmosphere to it. On top of that I have to hear these people constantly sticking up for the place, makes me want to hurl.

Anyway, I am desperate to move back down south. I am used to the heat and was wondering how Tucson compares to say Phoenix? Recommended areas to live for medium-high income?

thanks for the help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 02:40 PM

68 posts, read 133,430 times
Never been to Seattle but my advice for you is, do not come here! I hate this place and have spent the last year and a half trying to get out of here. The weather here is awful 6 mos out of the year, I'd rather be in Houston humidity or Chicago snow. Plus the people here SUCK. Rude and pretentious for no reason. This is also the most racist back woods place I've ever lived. Gross. I wouldn't wish Tucson on my worst enemy.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:57 PM

7,816 posts, read 15,258,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Hey guys!

I am a native Californian born and raised, went to college in Arizona from 2003-2007 and just took my first job in Seattle about a year ago.

I absolutely cant STAND it up here! The weather is crappy year round, the people are cold and smug and the city has a lousy atmosphere to it. On top of that I have to hear these people constantly sticking up for the place, makes me want to hurl.

Anyway, I am desperate to move back down south. I am used to the heat and was wondering how Tucson compares to say Phoenix? Recommended areas to live for medium-high income?

thanks for the help!
Good one, Ryanst!

I relocated to Tucson from Northern California (Contra Costa County) a little over ten years ago and LOVE IT. A job was not a requirement and I can pretty much afford to live just about anyplace, within reason. Personally, I would not live in Seattle or Portland even if it was totally free for basically all of the reasons you've mentioned plus a few more.

I chose Tucson over Phoenix mainly due to the smaller size and the more casual atmosphere plus no freeways. Also, although Winter temperatures are usually slightly lower, so are the Killer Days of Summer by upwards to 15 degrees.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:12 PM

1,031 posts, read 806,132 times
Sounds good to me Bummer!

I've been trying to transfer from within my company (Boeing) down to Tucson but they are freezing that for now. I'll give it another shot in a couple months and see what happens.

What areas do you recommend in Tucson?

Ash: I'm sorry you dont like it there =( However, I dont think you realize just how bad it is up in Seattle, haha. I rate it a -1 out of 10

Old 11-12-2008, 04:18 PM

89 posts, read 252,552 times
Quote:
I've been trying to transfer from within my company (Boeing) down to Tucson but they are freezing that for now. I'll give it another shot in a couple months and see what happens.
I hate to rain on your parade Ryan, particularly with you already being in Seattle (*giggles*), but I don't think Tucson is an option for you anyway. With Boeing, aren't you limited to living in Phoenix if you choose Arizona?

If you were thinking of commuting from Tucson to work in Phoenix, that's really just too far. Sorry.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:37 PM

415 posts, read 1,060,654 times
ryan- I absolutely LOVE it here in Tucson. I moved here from Buffalo, NY. Unlike the other poster, I have found people to be very friendly.

You may want to seek out Lord Balfour (Ken). He currently lives in Seattle and is planning to move to Tucson eventually.

As far as the housing market is concerned, it is my educated opinion that we have been bouncing along the bottom for a bit and things are starting to look better. Statistics show that Phoenix has a long time to go and as a blanket statement, the housing market there is pretty bad. Of course there are pockets everywhere that are OK, but as a generalization, we are better off than they are.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:10 PM

2,552 posts, read 4,197,796 times
Quote:
Hey guys!

thanks for the help!
I feel your pain! I too spent time in the pacific NW and I couldnt' take the cold grey days and constant drizzle....yuck! I was up there again in Aug. and froze! I live in Sedona (and am still wanting a warmer place ) so can't help you too much with area.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:28 AM

42,846 posts, read 52,297,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojulybabies View Post
As far as the housing market is concerned, it is my educated opinion that we have been bouncing along the bottom for a bit and things are starting to look better.
That's what I thought before the inventory that was at about 6 months in E and SE shot up to almost 10 in a month!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,655 times
Default southwest dreaming

Hey Ryantspelling Tucson is pretty sweet. I use to live in Phx. But got too big. I have a spare room in nice part of town.Give you some time to look around and see for yourself.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:26 AM

7,816 posts, read 15,258,261 times
Quote:
Sounds good to me Bummer!

What areas do you recommend in Tucson?
Sorry, Ryanst . . . due to less than friendly commuting in Tucson, it is tough to almost impossible recommending an area without knowing your employment location. However, with that being stated, any location North of Speedway is a good start but there are many exceptions to that rule.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson