Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:15 AM

529 posts, read 2,394,208 times

Advertisements

Saw this article (http://www.azstarnet.com/business/269499 - broken link) in today's Daily Star and was wondering if anyone here has issues with noise from the planes at DM. I know us Realtors have to disclose whether a home lies in the DM or TIA flight path but if we get the new F-35s (which they have been hyping the past few years) it could get much worse.

Quote:
A new Air Force stealth fighter pitched as a possible future resident of Tucson has hit a snag getting approval for its first home base in Florida because of its high noise level.

Depending on altitude, the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter could be roughly a dozen times as loud as the A-10 attack jets flown locally at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, and several times as loud as than the F-16 fighters the Air National Guard flies from Tucson International Airport, data in Air Force environmental studies suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 08:22 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
It is the sound of freedom to me -

Old 12-01-2008, 08:36 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,533,313 times
I used to live under a well used flight path out of DM. It was pretty low altitude as well at that location. Did not mind it one bit. I am actually closer to the base now, but out of the flight path and I miss the sound of A-10's flying over head.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:04 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
Saw this article (http://www.azstarnet.com/business/269499 - broken link) in today's Daily Star and was wondering if anyone here has issues with noise from the planes at DM. I know us Realtors have to disclose whether a home lies in the DM or TIA flight path but if we get the new F-35s (which they have been hyping the past few years) it could get much worse.
No, I don't have such issues at this time, but this article freaked me out! They're talking planes 12!!!! times noisier than those DM currently has! Just can’t wait for more great news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It is the sound of freedom to me -
To each his own, so enjoy it. It's hardly worth mentioning how you feel about it on a local forum of a place you don't live in. It's the sound of disgusting and annoying noise to most of us.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
To each his own, so enjoy it. It's hardly worth mentioning how you feel about it on a local forum of a place you don't live in. It's the sound of disgusting and annoying noise to most of us.

To the contrary - I also live the LV area - near Nellis AFB

Old 12-01-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
To the contrary - I also live the LV area - near Nellis AFB
That's what I'm saying - enjoy your base. What does DM have to do with it?

Old 12-01-2008, 09:09 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Planes don't bother me. T-35 trainers from the AF Academy; Black Hawks from Ft. Carson; C-130's from Ft. Carson, A-10's from DM, it doesn't matter. I'm used to planes. In fact, we love to run outside and look at them. Sometimes the Black Hawks fly so low you can almost tell the color of the pilot's eyes! No, no problem with planes.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:11 PM

It's interesting what path this thread took... I believe Michael's intention (as he is not one to rock the boat) was to ask for objective opinions on the noise issue (whether it's noisy or not in the areas we live in) and not what "issues" we have with it (how each of us feels about it personally).

Old 12-02-2008, 09:19 AM

529 posts, read 2,394,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's interesting what path this thread took... I believe Michael's intention (as he is not one to rock the boat) was to ask for objective opinions on the noise issue (whether it's noisy or not in the areas we live in) and not what "issues" we have with it (how each of us feels about it personally).
I find it interesting to hear from everyone either way. I actually enjoy a little contention now and then, and whenever sierraAZ hops into a thread I know excitement is usually just around the corner.

I guess the other issue related to the new planes coming to Tucson is if in fact they are not approved to be based here, DM may once again appear on the government's Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) list, just as it has over the past few years.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
I actually enjoy a little contention now and then, and whenever sierraAZ hops into a thread I know excitement is usually just around the corner.
The nature of this forum is too tame for much excitement. You should visit elsewhere (I no longer write on the political forums, though; those are just plain irritants).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson