Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:06 AM

12 posts, read 56,342 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new to tucson and new to USA. I was told that having meal in the restaurant and giving tips when paying bills is a must in Tucson. I wonder who truth it is? I always thought that 'tips' is based on voluntary. Pls enlighten me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 01:16 AM

28 posts, read 71,081 times
I don't eat out much but I hear that it is customary to tip 15% of your total bill amount. If you don't tip its nothing is going to happen to you, but most waiting staffs depend on them to survive, I think they get paid something like 3 dollars an hour.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:35 AM

303 posts, read 1,557,783 times
It is customary to tip 15%, but sometimes I tip 20% if the server is really attentitive. I've heard of people tipping less than 15%, but that's because the service was just horrible.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:06 AM

9,593 posts, read 31,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanb70 View Post
Hi,

I am new to tucson and new to USA. I was told that having meal in the restaurant and giving tips when paying bills is a must in Tucson. I wonder who truth it is? I always thought that 'tips' is based on voluntary. Pls enlighten me.
I believe your information is slightly misleading, Ocean.

The 15% to 20% voluntary tipping policy is fairly standardized in the United States and applies everywhere, fairly consistently, NOT just in Tucson and/or Arizona.

While traveling in other countries the "Tip Only When Service Warrants" policy over a tip being expected policy definitely makes more sense.

I eat out frequently and if the service is BAD, I have no problems leaving ZERO, however, if the service is exceptionally good, I will be more generous and tip over the 20%.

I hope all of this makes sense.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:08 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,888,155 times
I always thought tipping is between 10-20% of the bill.

You don't have to, but almost everyone does. You will also see tip jars at counters in coffee shops and such. I actually stopped tipping at coffee shops because they get paid more than waitresses and they don't have to run around (except if it is a coffee shop I go to all the time, then I will tip every time).

If you get crappy service, then tip less. If you get really, really good service, then tip extra. I have tipped right at the 10% line and I have tipped way above 20%. And if it is a place you are going to go to all the time, I would definitely tip nicely!

And it isn't just Tucson, but the entire U.S.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:51 AM

643 posts, read 2,045,391 times
You should tip lots of people - it's courtesy here. Most waitresses (the ones that bring you food at restaurants) get paid special wages that are especially low. The rest of their income comes from tips. I've tipped car wash guys, valets, bar tenders, tattoo artists, pizza delivery guys, coffee baristas... It's not mandatory by any means, but it's an easy way to show appreciation for a job well done.

I have, however, not tipped when I eat out if the service is really bad. I've also not tipped the pizza guy 'cause he forgot my garlic knots and didn't bring a receipt.

Usually, if it's just you and a friend (not a family of eight, misbehaved, screaming children eating), you can each tip $2 and be alright.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:16 AM

42,831 posts, read 87,916,249 times
Yeah, ocean, in this country we customers subsidize the salaries of the waiting staff so that their employers don't have to pay them living wages. 15% is a customary tip. Some people leave more. Once I was pissed and tried to leave zero, writing a big fat zero on the receipt (on a credit card, though), and they still charged $5! I didn't bother fight it, but still thought it was disgusting.

It's just the way the sick system works. IRS assumes they get tips and taxes them on a certain minimum amount they HAVE to make. Otherwise they might end up paying taxes on tips they haven't received.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:43 AM

9,593 posts, read 31,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yeah, ocean, in this country we customers subsidize the salaries of the waiting staff so that their employers don't have to pay them living wages. 15% is a customary tip. Some people leave more. Once I was pissed and tried to leave zero, writing a big fat zero on the receipt (on a credit card, though), and they still charged $5! I didn't bother fight it, but still thought it was disgusting.

It's just the way the sick system works. IRS assumes they get tips and taxes them on a certain minimum amount they HAVE to make. Otherwise they might end up paying taxes on tips they haven't received.
I could not agree more, Sierra . . .

Definitely a policy that has gone GOOFY and has become distorted from its original intent as well as getting worse; NOT better.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:41 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,888,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I could not agree more, Sierra . . .

Definitely a policy that has gone GOOFY and has become distorted from its original intent as well as getting worse; NOT better.
Yes, it is getting worse. That is one of the reasons I have stopped tipping at coffee shops. I didn't mind throwing a quarter in the jar at my favorite haunts, but then the tip jars started showing up everywhere. At places where they don't have to do anything special (besides their job) to serve you. A waitress can make or break your dining experience, but at Starbucks? Come on! I think I have even seen them at fast food restuarants...not sure, but I know I have seen the tip jars at some far fetched areas.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,916,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Yes, it is getting worse. That is one of the reasons I have stopped tipping at coffee shops. I didn't mind throwing a quarter in the jar at my favorite haunts, but then the tip jars started showing up everywhere. At places where they don't have to do anything special (besides their job) to serve you. A waitress can make or break your dining experience, but at Starbucks? Come on! I think I have even seen them at fast food restuarants...not sure, but I know I have seen the tip jars at some far fetched areas.
Exactly. Nobody tips me for doing my job. They're on salaries just like anybody else. Same with hairdressers... They rent their chairs; it's their own business. Why should I tip somebody who makes more than I do?! But they have scissors in their hands and work on MY head, so.... not much of a choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: