Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:22 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times

Advertisements

Dear Mr Tucson: Personally I'm getting sick and tired of people saying that Tucson is such a great place to live! Everybody says the weather is great, the mountains are great, the desert is great. Great, great great! That's all we ever hear out here in the midwest. Everybody who goes over there from here gets so ga-ga about your grandiose Arizona. Well, guess what? I've heard enough! Your area is actually nothing but continuous urban sprawl, mountain-to-mountain annexation, rampant taxation and revenue, lackadaisical maintenance, and a place crawling with indignant, overprotective locals who care nothing about out-of-towners! You people call us "snowbirds", like we're all lepers or something. We strengthen your economy, buddy! We feed your coffures! We fill your community chests! We line your pockets! We send your kids to college! You better remember that, buster!
- Miffed in the Midwest

Dear Miffed: You know, I've seriously never understood why its called the midWEST? When we westerners travel in an easterly direction, you guys are actually the midEAST to us!

Signed, Mr Tucson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 12:33 PM

117 posts, read 286,749 times
Snowbirds sending us to college? lol... That made me laugh.

Strengthening our economy? Maybe a bit, but if you decided to not come back we'd still be here without you. Any tourism helps any city but Tucson doesnt need you.

The only real downside to Tucson that I see over any other comparable place is that car theft is higher. But its understandable since we are near the border of Mexico.

We have an AF base, Large Airport, Raytheon, and a great College in teh UofA, not to mention one of the greatest cities when it comes to medicine. Medical schools and colleges everywhere. We will do just fine without you. But you are right, 10's or thousands of YOU come down to Tucson year after year because your state is sooo great too.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:09 PM

63 posts, read 205,239 times
two things Tucson doesn't need....anymore snowbirds and anymore pigeons.....

Old 01-10-2009, 03:06 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fofinger View Post
two things Tucson doesn't need....anymore snowbirds and anymore pigeons.....
Me thinks Tucson has more than enough ponies, too.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:21 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
Well, as a snowbird, I guess I'll sell my house, sell the season Rockies tickets I own for Hi Corbett, give back the caddy I bought at Don Mackey, make my kid drop out of Pima CC, and stop bringing my relatives in to eat, drink and be merry, and while I'm at it, I'll give up my ASDM membership. I'll stop shopping here, and take my money back to Colorado for the 9 months out of the year I'm here paying property taxes, sales taxes, entertainment taxes and tell my friends and relatives to stay out of Arizona, as they're not welcome here. Keep their money in Colorado. Wow.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:21 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Me thinks Tucson has more than enough ponies, too.
Yeah... those ponies sure run around causing trouble, don't they?

Old 01-11-2009, 12:22 PM

28 posts, read 71,350 times
is this really the attitude towards out-of-towners? smh

Old 01-11-2009, 01:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Well, as a snowbird, I guess I'll sell my house, sell the season Rockies tickets I own for Hi Corbett, give back the caddy I bought at Don Mackey, make my kid drop out of Pima CC, and stop bringing my relatives in to eat, drink and be merry, and while I'm at it, I'll give up my ASDM membership. I'll stop shopping here, and take my money back to Colorado for the 9 months out of the year I'm here paying property taxes, sales taxes, entertainment taxes and tell my friends and relatives to stay out of Arizona, as they're not welcome here. Keep their money in Colorado. Wow.
Well, most of us are a bit annoyed by the increased traffic in winter (not that it's snowbirds' fault the city has no adequate streets for its size) as well as many drivers doing 25 mph, but that's about it. I don't believe the self-proclaimed Mr. Tucson speaks for the whole city.

I also think the showbirds are the reason Tucson's RE market has been more stable throughout the years in comparison to other places even in times of crisis.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:49 PM

63 posts, read 205,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Dress warm.....

Old 01-11-2009, 03:13 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, most of us are a bit annoyed by the increased traffic in winter (not that it's snowbirds' fault the city has no adequate streets for its size) as well as many drivers doing 25 mph, but that's about it. I don't believe the self-proclaimed Mr. Tucson speaks for the whole city.

I also think the showbirds are the reason Tucson's RE market has been more stable throughout the years in comparison to other places even in times of crisis.
Should the U of A students vacate the campus and move to another university in another state since I'm sure they drive cars, too, and clog up highways. They spend their money eating and drinking the way snowbirds do, but they don't invest in the real estate market, thereby adding to the tax base. It would seem to me that the snowbirds are more lucrative to Tucson's coffers than the college students. Should Vail, Aspen, Telluride, Snomass, Steamboat, Tahoe, Stowe, SF, NYC, all the cities in Florida, and along the gulf coast, and all the other towns that depend on a visitor population to boost their tax base all reject outsiders? What would that do to their economies? No matter where you live, tourists usually are a boon to the economy, like it or not, and by making them feel unwelcome, you give yourself a black eye and lose money for your city. That's pretty narrow minded and selfish, in my opinion. Maybe it's the anti-tourist people who ought to leave and find some pristine, never been found by oustiders, place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson