Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:14 PM

602 posts, read 2,064,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710
but how will I know when I've left Tucson and entered Oro Valley????
There will be no crime, no traffic snarls, no red-light cameras, no speed traps, no fast-and-furious-lane-changing-NASCAR wannabes, no boom bass-equipped vehicles, no lowriders, no continous chip-sealing, no endless strip malls, no convenience stores at every corner, no homeless people wearing high-visibility vests selling newspapers, no cowboys or cowgirls, no gangs, no grafitti, no guns, no ghettos, no "wifebeaters", no "baggies", no shopping carts in the arroyos, no suggestion of blight or poverty... ...
Yeah, it's kinda boring up here. We're still waiting for this area to be enriched like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 02:55 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Frankly, unless one lives in Push Ridge Estates, I fail to see what the big hooplah about Oro Valley is... The houses in the older part are the same old, dark, depressing ranches you see in central town. Granted, they happen to be around beautiful scenery, but that's all there is to it. Traffic in the NW sucks. The rest of the story is the very same boredom like anywhere else in Tucson, save for the music at the entrances of the stores...

And it's not sour grapes. There are beautiful areas in the North or Northeast or even West I'd love to live, but Oro Valley just ain't one of them.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Frankly, unless one lives in Push Ridge Estates, I fail to see what the big hooplah about Oro Valley is... The houses in the older part are the same old, dark, depressing ranches you see in central town. Granted, they happen to be around beautiful scenery, but that's all there is to it. Traffic in the NW sucks. The rest of the story is the very same boredom like anywhere else in Tucson, save for the music at the entrances of the stores...

And it's not sour grapes. There are beautiful areas in the North or Northeast or even West I'd love to live, but Oro Valley just ain't one of them.
No big hoopla from me. I do like it here (OV), but I also like the Foothills, and the Tanque Verde area, as well as the far East. It's just one of many nice areas in the greater Tucson area.

Tucson doesn't bore me at all, because I like hiking and other outdoor activities. Other than that, there are plenty of good restaurants, movie theaters, and all the same stuff you'll find in most every city.

To each his own, though.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Frankly, unless one lives in Push Ridge Estates, I fail to see what the big hooplah about Oro Valley is... The houses in the older part are the same old, dark, depressing ranches you see in central town. Granted, they happen to be around beautiful scenery, but that's all there is to it.
The vast, vast majority of OV is of newly built housing and not those old ranches that you describe, so most of it is quite nice, and basically free of the stuff that ZP kidded about in his post.

Quote:
Traffic in the NW sucks. The rest of the story is the very same boredom like anywhere else in Tucson, save for the music at the entrances of the stores...
I'm curious about the boredom. Can you share with us what specific things that other cities offer that would alleviate the boredom that you attribute to Tucson? I'm genuinely curious. Are you talking museums, opera houses, cultural centers like that, or just what is it that would be way more stimulating elsewhere? Not being sarcastic.

Quote:
Ah well, go figure. Different tastes. I like other areas too, but I think OV is really nice. The traffic up here is certainly no worse than other areas in Tucson (admittedly the main thoroughfare (Oracle) is a pain in the rear end around rush hour though, but most of the main arteries in Tucson are just the same).

Old 01-29-2009, 08:05 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ

Quote:
Originally posted by azhiker
No big hoopla from me. I do like it here (OV), but I also like the Foothills, and the Tanque Verde area, as well as the far East. It's just one of many nice areas in the greater Tucson area.

Tucson doesn't bore me at all, because I like hiking and other outdoor activities. Other than that, there are plenty of good restaurants, movie theaters, and all the same stuff you'll find in most every city.

To each his own, though.
Sierra and Hiker Man, this is what I like about you guys. You tell it like it is. You guys and and I have traded pleasantries (as well as barbs) regarding the Tucson area for a while now. Hiker's always been a gentleman, and Sierra's always been a...um... lady. Me? To some people I may be just a cartoon character. ZonyPony the PhonyBaloney. Right? Its cool. I like that.

That's how we have our fun here. Sometimes we tell it like it REALLY is... how it really, really is - even how the most casual observer sees it. Then we have our moments when we beat around the bush, and we tell it like it probably really ain't - but, like it may APPEAR to be.

I recently gave Oro Valley a rave yet light review suitable for laughter. I believe that Hiker took it quite well. Now, I'm not as sure about the Houghton Road/Rita Ranch area, but it also seems to be... uh... quite sterile and devoid of all of the bad-to-the-bone stuff which I also said OV was devoid of. So?

You see, that's good. We can poke fun at each other's areas, and still come out chuckling. Right?

Right!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
That's how we have our fun here. Sometimes we tell it like it REALLY is... how it really, really is - even how the most casual observer sees it. Then we have our moments when we beat around the bush, and we tell it like it probably really ain't - but, like it may APPEAR to be.
Uh oh. There's something subliminal about that. I just can't figure what. It's TOO liminal.

Quote:
I recently gave Oro Valley a rave yet light review suitable for laughter. I believe that Hiker took it quite well. Now, I'm not as sure about the Houghton Road/Rita Ranch area, but it also seems to be... uh... quite sterile and devoid of all of the bad-to-the-bone stuff which I also said OV was devoid of. So?
Ya know, the lack of all that stuff that people describe as making "vibrant" communities (that stuff you kidded about... and more), I pretty much regard as a whole lotta dysfunction. Basically, I'm saying that the lack of that stuff, at least to me, does not make for a sterile environment, but rather a really nice and livable one. Guess I'm old school that way.

Quote:
You see, that's good. We can poke fun at each other's areas, and still come out chuckling. Right?
Poke away, ZP. Poke away. I likes it up here.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
The vast, vast majority of OV is of newly built housing and not those old ranches that you describe, so most of it is quite nice, and basically free of the stuff that ZP kidded about in his post.
I could be wrong. I don't know this area much. I can't tell what's OV per se unless I see the sign. And my impression is based on what I see off 77 past the sign! Just last weekend I went this way (haven't been there for a few years) and specifically took a few side streets to see what the big deal was about. Failed to see anything particularly thrilling other than Push Ridge Estates. I've heard of that Dove Mountain... Never been there. Is that considered OV? I know there isn't any of the stuff ZP was talking about. There isn't any in my area, either. I'm far from saying I want to live in the ghetto....

Quote:
I'm curious about the boredom. Can you share with us what specific things that other cities offer that would alleviate the boredom that you attribute to Tucson? I'm genuinely curious. Are you talking museums, opera houses, cultural centers like that, or just what is it that would be way more stimulating elsewhere? Not being sarcastic.
Now this... with all due respect I don't care to chew it over every time the topic comes up. I wasted my time on this subject once on the Phoenix forum. You can see it if you want. Let's just say I don't share your fascination with Tucson or the lifestyle in the whole West for that matter as you're already well aware of.

Quote:
Ah well, go figure. Different tastes. I like other areas too, but I think OV is really nice.
Fair enough. I'm used to the East side as I've mentioned it, but I'm not here to promote my area or to compare measurements ... Besides, I've also lived closer to the heart (well, obviously there is no heart... I mean center) of town.

Quote:
The traffic up here is certainly no worse than other areas in Tucson (admittedly the main thoroughfare (Oracle) is a pain in the rear end around rush hour though, but most of the main arteries in Tucson are just the same).
Traffic is A LOT worse. Before the housing boom people were moving W to E because of it! That's not to say I want my traffic to get worse!

Quote:
Hiker's always been a gentleman, and Sierra's always been a...um... lady. Me? To some people I may be just a cartoon character. ZonyPony the PhonyBaloney. Right? Its cool. I like that.
Oh, well, we all have our parts in the play.

Quote:
You have to admit that even though Tucson is not exactly my cup of tea I've been trying to be quite objective...

Quote:
Now, I'm not as sure about the Houghton Road/Rita Ranch area, but it also seems to be... uh... quite sterile and devoid of all of the bad-to-the-bone stuff which I also said OV was devoid of. So?
Yes, it is. I like that just fine where I live. Want I want is a normal vibrant downtown where I can go, but not necessarily live.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I could be wrong. I don't know this area much. I can't tell what's OV per se unless I see the sign. And my impression is based on what I see off 77 past the sign! Just last weekend I went this way (haven't been there for a few years) and specifically took a few side streets to see what the big deal was about. Failed to see anything particularly thrilling other than Push Ridge Estates. I've heard of that Dove Mountain... Never been there. Is that considered OV? I know there isn't any of the stuff ZP was talking about. There isn't any in my area, either. I'm far from saying I want to live in the ghetto....
Dove Mountain is (I believe) Tortolita. As far as OV boundaries go, I think they annexed a part of what used to be consider NW Tucson. You know, I don't find it "thrilling" either. Just attractive in general terms with it being near the mountains. The views are pretty stunning sometimes (it really is the mountains as backdrop that makes it so), but the housing is generally newer and nice too. The fact that there's not graffiti and trash, etc, etc, makes it livable too. Still, like I said, I like the Foothills and Tanque Verde and the Far East too (those too have to do with being right next to the mountains).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker

Quote:
Now this... with all due respect I don't care to chew it over every time the topic comes up. I wasted my time on this subject once on the Phoenix forum. You can see it if you want. Let's just say I don't share your fascination with Tucson or the lifestyle in the whole West for that matter as you're already well aware of.
Yeah, I know that you don't particularly care for it here. I think if you say someplace is boring, and you're asked what qualities other cities have that make them NOT boring, it's a quite reasonable question and within the flow of the conversation. For some reason, the question seems to exasperate you. You stated that you don't want to chew it over every time the topic comes up. There are plenty of ideas and opinions that we seem to state over and over again on this board (without any problem doing so), "it's boring", being one of them. Stating what qualities make a city not boring is somehow tediously repetitive and exasperating? Whatever. (I don't read the Phoenix board)

Quote:
Traffic is A LOT worse. Before the housing boom people were moving W to E because of it! That's not to say I want my traffic to get worse!
To me, once traffic hits a certain level, what street your on, or which area of town your in makes no difference. If your traveling on Speedway or Broadway at rush hour (or god forbid Campbell), traffic will be just as bad as on Oracle, but we can agree to disagree.

Last edited by azhiker; 01-30-2009 at 09:34 AM..

Old 01-30-2009, 09:31 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times
I love how you guys can be gentle and informative without tearing out each other's throats. What a civilized pair you are!

Old 01-30-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I love how you guys can be gentle and informative without tearing out each other's throats. What a civilized pair you are!
LOL. You wascally wascal you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson