Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:26 AM

474 posts, read 1,066,900 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a good salsa recipe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 06:01 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,746,607 times
Default Salsa Recipe

First off always use fresh ingredients. I don't have a recipe written down I just kind of wing-it every time but it always comes out great.

10-12 Roma Tomatoes (Roma's work the best for salsa)
Dice into chunks and throw in big bowl, add some garlic salt.

1 jalapeno and 1 yellow chile finely diced, and into the bowl and stir in.

1/2 white onion diced and into the bowl and stir in.

1 bunch of green onions, dice both tops and bottoms, into the bowl and stir in.

1 bunch of FRESH celentro diced and into the bowl and blend in.

Add more garlic salt to taste.

This is just a basic mix of what you need. You can adjust quanities of peppers and celentro for your own taste. Fresh jalapenos will give you more of the instant bite. Throw in some roasted Hatch Sandia green chile if you want something that gives you that slow burn from out of your chest an hour later!

After mixing it all together I will take a blending stick and liquify some of it. I like my salsa chunky style. If you want it to be a more smooth style salsa just throw it all in a blender and zap it to the consistentcy you like.

In the summertime when white corn is available, I like to roast a couple of ears on the grill, strip the corn from the cob and add that to my salsa. That throws a smoky sweet flavor into the mix. There are lots of other variations, mango salsa etc. It really just get down to using the basics and adding peppers, celentro, garlic salt etc. to suit your own taste.

Try it, you'll like it!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:34 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
First off always use fresh ingredients. I don't have a recipe written down I just kind of wing-it every time but it always comes out great.

10-12 Roma Tomatoes (Roma's work the best for salsa)
Dice into chunks and throw in big bowl, add some garlic salt.

1 jalapeno and 1 yellow chile finely diced, and into the bowl and stir in.

1/2 white onion diced and into the bowl and stir in.

1 bunch of green onions, dice both tops and bottoms, into the bowl and stir in.

1 bunch of FRESH celentro diced and into the bowl and blend in.

Add more garlic salt to taste.

This is just a basic mix of what you need. You can adjust quanities of peppers and celentro for your own taste. Fresh jalapenos will give you more of the instant bite. Throw in some roasted Hatch Sandia green chile if you want something that gives you that slow burn from out of your chest an hour later!

After mixing it all together I will take a blending stick and liquify some of it. I like my salsa chunky style. If you want it to be a more smooth style salsa just throw it all in a blender and zap it to the consistentcy you like.

In the summertime when white corn is available, I like to roast a couple of ears on the grill, strip the corn from the cob and add that to my salsa. That throws a smoky sweet flavor into the mix. There are lots of other variations, mango salsa etc. It really just get down to using the basics and adding peppers, celentro, garlic salt etc. to suit your own taste.

Try it, you'll like it!
Yum. I love Japa-Leenos!

Old 01-22-2009, 10:26 AM

Default Salsa

And it's even better the second day after sitting in the fridge overnight and letting all the flavors blend together.

Rick

Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 PM

Thanks Rick! I repped you. I will be making the salsa tomorrow. I had homemade salsa at someone's house recently that was really good, but she can't give out the recipe. It definitely had cilantro, chopped green onions, green chilies, and tomatoes. It was chunky, which I like. There may have been chopped garlic and lime juice in it. Are those last two ingredients common to salsa? I'm also not sure what the heat in it was, because I do not think it had any jalapenos. As weird as that may sound.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellringer View Post
Thanks Rick! I repped you. I will be making the salsa tomorrow. I had homemade salsa at someone's house recently that was really good, but she can't give out the recipe. It definitely had cilantro, chopped green onions, green chilies, and tomatoes. It was chunky, which I like. There may have been chopped garlic and lime juice in it. Are those last two ingredients common to salsa? I'm also not sure what the heat in it was, because I do not think it had any jalapenos. As weird as that may sound.
Fresh garlic and lime juice is also common, when I have it around I will put some fresh garlic in the mix in addition to garlic salt. Fresh lime is good also, I don't use it myself but some people do. It also ads a preservative element to it. But my salsa doesn't last long enough to worry about preserving it!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:57 AM

Default More Salsa Stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellringer View Post
I'm also not sure what the heat in it was, because I do not think it had any jalapenos. As weird as that may sound.
The heat factor could have come from the green chile that was in it. Green chiles have a wide ranging heat range depending on the variety. New Mexico is the Green Chile capital of the world. They grow green chiles that are as mild as a green pepper or as fiery as a habenero. What you use and how much you use to spice up your salsa with is really just a personal preference.

Rick

Old 01-27-2009, 12:44 AM

Default No-cook salsa

Interesting about the chilies, I didn't realize they could be so hot. I wing it with a lot of recipes, which is what I did with this one. The salsa turned out great. My sister and I would have liked it a little hotter, my mom less hot, and my dad and my neice liked it the way it was. I used some canned goods, but the herbs, etc. were fresh. Here's the easy recipe I went with:

No-cook Salsa

2 cans(14.5 oz ea) diced tomatoes(drain tomatoes, save a 1/4 cup of the juice)---I found out later my friend used stewed, or you could use fresh

1 can(4 oz) diced green chilies-you could use fresh

5 large pickled jalapenos from a can-again you could use fresh

6 or 7 thinly sliced scallions-I used the bottom halves only,saved the tops for something else

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro-I used a mix, because I have an herb garden in the fridge right now

2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice-I usually like lime, but I have a loaded lemon tree in the backyard

1 or 2 or 3 garlic cloves minced

fresh ground pepper and sea salt to taste(approximately 1/8 tsp pepper and a 1/4 tsp salt)

Combine the drained tomatoes and the quarter cup of tomato juice in a big bowl with the remaining ingredients. Cover and chill for awhile, or overnight, or eat immediately like we do.

Last edited by bellringer; 01-27-2009 at 12:54 AM..

Old 01-27-2009, 12:53 AM

This was chunky salsa. If you don't like chunky, you could put the tomatoes and 1/4 cup of tomato juice in the bowl and mash with a fork first before adding the other ingredients.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:31 AM

Yesterday, I made a Caprese salad drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette, spaghetti with meat sauce and fresh mushrooms, and toasted, garlic-buttered Italian bread slices. Yummy! Tonight, we had the leftover spaghetti with freshly-made crab stuffed mushrooms and more bread. Lots of fresh herbs and garlic in all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson