Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:47 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times

Advertisements

Best wishes in moving away, hopefully you can do it promptly. I did and never regretted it, though I do get back occasionally to take care of financial interests. When that happens and see what's going on it only reinforces the move was the correct one.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:54 AM

163 posts, read 240,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
It's kind of a two way street. For instance, your experience has been bad (that of the OP, too), and yet, broadly speaking, you come on here and badmouth not only the place, (the land, weather, etc, but also the people). Why be surprised when those that love it here take issue with that?

For those of you who come on here and badmouth the place, if you just stated that your experience has not been a good one and that you don't like it here for reasons, X, Y, and Z, but that you recognize that others like it, I doubt anyone would be saying 'Don't let the screen door hit ya'.
I didn't come on here badmouthing...I stated my opinions based on my personal experiences. And I tried to do it respectfully as I was raised to. I didn't move out here with a bad attitude, quite the opposite in fact. I don't know how many times I listened to people here in Tucson rag on New York City, most without ever having been there. I just take it with a grain of salt and don't come down on them for their opinions. As for my remarks about the people...the truth sometimes hurts. I am honestly sorry if you feel offended as my intent wasn't to offend but to simply state my feelings.

Quote:
For those of you who come on here and badmouth the place, if you just stated that your experience has not been a good one and that you don't like it here for reasons, X, Y, and Z, but that you recognize that others like it, I doubt anyone would be saying 'Don't let the screen door hit ya'.
I did that and you accused me of "badmouthing". Just because my opinion doesn't agree with yours. To me badmouthing would be coming on here and just saying "this place sucks". I didn't do that.

Quote:
Oh, I don't know. Maybe because of statements like this:

"As someone else in this thread stated...it is full of people without class or charm."
As the bad responses preceeded that statement, I don't think that's the cause.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:56 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
I hear this loud and clear. I moved out here 7 years ago thrilled with the thoughts of a slower paced life (I'm from the NY/NJ area originally) and great weather. And for years I kept trying to kid myself that things out here were great when the truth of the matter is that they aren't. And by the time I fully accepted that moving here was a mistake the housing market crashed so I too am stuck here until I'm able to sell my house.

I don't mind the weather, but I did realize that I do love the 4 distinct seasons experienced in other parts of the county. What I don't like is the level of rudeness and lack of respect of the people (as evidenced by the few "don't let the door hit ya" responses from people in this thread) I've encountered. If you don't think, act and live like they do then look out. For example, I take pride in my property and the 3 twenty-something "men" next door don't. They have no qualms about trashing their yard and feel it's okay to also trash mine. When I asked them not to use my yard as their private driveway they reacted with harassment and juvenile tactics. As someone else in this thread stated...it is full of people without class or charm.

And to the few in this thread that reacted to the original post as if they personally were insulted, I ask why? Not everyone has to love it here and that's not a bad thing.
I feel ya. I moved here in 2003 and kept telling myself I just wasn't "trying hard enough." Well, if I'd had my head on straight I would have high-tailed it out of here shortly after I arrived - HUGE mistake or no mistake. Now, unfortunately, who even knows what my house is worth, so I am stuck here. And I can't even say I have a job to be stuck here with, so I really don't know what I am going to do.

At any rate, this IS a conservative town (thorn in my side) and with conservatism comes "do it my way, follow the rules, don't complain, maintain the status quo." And now I imagine things are going to even worse now with a republican governor. It's all downhill from here.

So what's a person to do in the meantime? I have no clue. I guess maybe hope Obama is successful and wait for things to turn around.

And if there is ONE thing I've learned about this Phoenix forum, it's don't complain or say how you feel. Ah well, fire away.

ETA: Oops, I am not in the Phoenix forum. It doesn't make a difference, as it's all the same, but from what I hear, Tucson is a better place to be than Phoenix.

Last edited by movin'on; 01-24-2009 at 10:04 AM..

Old 01-24-2009, 09:58 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
To the OP: Thanx for trying Tucson out. I'm guessing that you made a valiant effort. I'm believing you gave it your all. I'm sure that youthful manners, protocal, grammar, punctuation, etc, are tough things to deal with when you're a teacher. I remember that I learned a lot from my high school English teacher. He taught us so much about sentence structure and pronunciation and speaking correctly. These have been life-long things for me to look back on. Once I stopped rebelling, that is!

Now that we live in a world of text-messaging, and Instant Messaging, and emailing - abbreviations and incorrect spelling have become the norm. People aren't exactly sure what the correct spelling of words are, especially the very young ones. I once put together a thread which talked about "slacker lingo", based on much of today's method of communicating. Its rather a sad thing to witness the decline of some (not all) of our youth today.

I wish you the very best, sir.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:41 AM

602 posts, read 2,063,681 times
Quote:

As the bad responses preceeded that statement, I don't think that's the cause.
You are quite simply...wrong. The first instance of disparaging the people here came with no preceding "bad responses". The OP was asked "What's your specific beef with AZ?", to which she responded that she dislikes pretty much everything about the place, starting with "The people".

Quote:
There is no specific 'beef' I have about AZ...it's everything (except the food). The people, the government, the university I work for, the weather...oh God the weather...the education system in general,..........
My nose isn't in a twist about it at all. I'm just saying that if you badmouth a place, including the character of the people, expect a backlash, and don't then whimper about intolerance when it comes.

Edit: (For the record, I don't think the OP was complaining about the responses to her. That came mostly from those who share her dislike for Tucson.)

Last edited by azhiker; 01-24-2009 at 10:54 AM..

Old 01-24-2009, 11:01 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Question: You say this was sent by a student in an email. Then why does the quote say "looking like <inaudible>"? I'm assuming the <> bracketing implies an edit. But how can a word in an email be inaudible??
It was inappropriate language.

Quote:
I hear this loud and clear. I moved out here 7 years ago thrilled with the thoughts of a slower paced life (I'm from the NY/NJ area originally) and great weather. And for years I kept trying to kid myself that things out here were great when the truth of the matter is that they aren't. And by the time I fully accepted that moving here was a mistake the housing market crashed so I too am stuck here until I'm able to sell my house.

I don't mind the weather, but I did realize that I do love the 4 distinct seasons experienced in other parts of the county. What I don't like is the level of rudeness and lack of respect of the people (as evidenced by the few "don't let the door hit ya" responses from people in this thread) I've encountered. If you don't think, act and live like they do then look out. For example, I take pride in my property and the 3 twenty-something "men" next door don't. They have no qualms about trashing their yard and feel it's okay to also trash mine. When I asked them not to use my yard as their private driveway they reacted with harassment and juvenile tactics. As someone else in this thread stated...it is full of people without class or charm.

And to the few in this thread that reacted to the original post as if they personally were insulted, I ask why? Not everyone has to love it here and that's not a bad thing.

You know, there is one thing I don't understand....people who make fun of NJ. Maybe they are just jealous, but NJ has one of...if not the highest per capita income in the country. Odds are, you can find a decent job there.

Quote:
You are quite simply...wrong. The first instance of disparaging the people here came with no preceding "bad responses". The OP was asked "What's your specific beef with AZ?", to which she responded that she dislikes pretty much everything about the place, starting with "The people".

My nose isn't in a twist about it at all. I'm just saying that if you badmouth a place, including the character of the people, expect a backlash, and don't then whimper about intolerance when it comes.

Edit: (For the record, I don't think the OP was complaining about the responses to her. That came mostly from those who share her dislike for Tucson.)
he/him*

Oh, and it's more like the variety of people I come into contact with. Sometimes I feel like the only thing this state is made up of is mexican immigrants, people and snowbirds from the midwest/northeast who "can't handle the cold", people who were forced here by jobs/school, and the small contingent of Arizona natives who I kind of feel sorry for.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:05 AM

163 posts, read 240,763 times
Quote:

My nose isn't in a twist about it at all. I'm just saying that if you badmouth a place, including the character of the people, expect a backlash, and don't whine about it when it comes.
You are obviously very attached to Tucson and that's great for you but not everyone has to feel that way.

And why should I expect a backlash for stating my opinion...how about a civil discussion instead. You previously said people should come on and state what they don't like about it (which I did) so in response why don't you tell us naysayers what you LIKE about Tucson?

I am removing myself from discussions with you about this because we are on the verge of hijacking this thread with our back and forth. We need to agree to disagree and respect the other person's feelings. Enjoy Tucson!

Old 01-24-2009, 11:07 AM

939 posts, read 2,680,457 times
Phoenix is truly a souless city. Nothing redeeming about it anymore. A big slab of asphalt in the middle of the desert. Ugggh! Amazing that some folks actually like it.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
At any rate, this IS a conservative town (thorn in my side) and with conservatism comes "do it my way, follow the rules, don't complain, maintain the status quo."
Please, just stop. There is no more intolerant group on the planet than the self appointed police of political correctness. Talk about complete intolerance of ideas that differ from their own.

Quote:
And now I imagine things are going to even worse now with a republican governor. It's all downhill from here.
What do you regard as Napolitano's greatest accomplishments? I'm genuinely curious.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
And why should I expect a backlash for stating my opinion...how about a civil discussion instead.
I don't know which you'd regard as less civil:

Quote:
but gawd it is full of people without class or charm.
or
Quote:
Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
I know which one I pick of the above.

I'm for an increase in civility too. Common ground at last.

Quote:
You previously said people should come on and state what they don't like about it (which I did) so in response why don't you tell us naysayers what you LIKE about Tucson?...
I'm on record all over the place on that subject already.

Anyway, agree to disagree sounds good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson