Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 AM

986 posts, read 2,807,976 times

Advertisements

I walked out my front door and there is a pack of these pigs all shapes and sizes on my neighbors front lawn right across the street...it freaked me out!!! My daughter and I could not get in the car fast enough...it was kind of funny. I heard about them but I thought they lived in the woods. Is this normal? Are they dangerous? I have been here 6 months and this is the first time I have seen these critters other than at the desert museum...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 09:54 AM

415 posts, read 1,681,333 times
They can be very dangerous. In fact it was a wild Javelina that got into the desert museum and attacked someone. I'll see if I can find a link.
They are not only in the woods. My son's friends mom told me she sees them all the time in her development, because one of the washes is nearby.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:54 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
I walked out my front door and there is a pack of these pigs all shapes and sizes on my neighbors front lawn right across the street...it freaked me out!!! My daughter and I could not get in the car fast enough...it was kind of funny. I heard about them but I thought they lived in the woods. Is this normal? Are they dangerous? I have been here 6 months and this is the first time I have seen these critters other than at the desert museum...
Yep, absolutely normal!

Generally speaking they're not dangerous; they only stink. You may get in trouble if you encounter a mother with babies if she perceives you to be a danger to them. A javelina did charge a coworker of mine. I didn't witness it, but so she claims... Knowing her, I’ve my doubts, to be honest.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:56 AM

415 posts, read 1,681,333 times
Desert Museum closes for day after wild-javelina bite | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/246064 - broken link)

and here is a description of them:

Living With Javelina

Old 02-11-2009, 10:03 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,317 times
I knew a family in Paradise Valley that use to get them in their backyard all the time it freaked the crap out of me too!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojulybabies View Post
They are not only in the woods. My son's friends mom told me she sees them all the time in her development, because one of the washes is nearby.
You remind me of my first visitor! A javelina welcomed me a few days before moving in. It was in the man-made wash in front of my house and at the time the gate of the fence was still missing. Even though I find the oinkers somewhat cute, I didn't particularly look forward to having her in front of my door. Now the wash is fully fenced and should she visit again, she can just go back to the natural wash. They haven't been around since, though. At first (when there were fewer houses) I was hearing coyotes quite often, too, but both had been chased away by now.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:32 AM

288 posts, read 851,548 times
yeah, it figures people from all over move to Arizona without knowing the first thing about the native fauna and flora and then get "freaked out" by it; I say, get to know your neighbors!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:05 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojulybabies View Post
Desert Museum closes for day after wild-javelina bite | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/246064 - broken link)
Apparently, per a later news report, that Holland dude brought a $400,000 lawsuit against the Desert Museum!

Can you say FRIVOLOUS?

Old 02-11-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Apparently, per a later news report, that Holland dude brought a $400,000 lawsuit against the Desert Museum!

Can you say FRIVOLOUS?
Hey, he learned from the best! That IS the land of lawsuits after all!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:22 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
javelina are somewhat blind and will scramble if they seem threatened....because of the poor vision, they may run right into you if you get in their way while they scramble....

if you scare one up while out hiking, it may startle you as they make a bit of a racket when they dart out of the brush in an effort to get away....they may be in a pack or alone...human attacks have got to be very rare - I don't know the details of the Desert Museum thing....

when they're in the neighborhood, gee, just enjoy the sight of them and stay aware
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: