U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 PM

602 posts, read 1,237,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Hmmm... ihatetucson sez its scrumptious...

Of course, I personally ain't been there in ages... like, FOREVER!

New management?
No telling. I just know that it was my first and last visit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 02:57 PM

177 posts, read 569,989 times
Magpies. Man, that is a blast from the past. I honestly think Pizza Hut has better pizza than that place.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,099 times
Queens New York representative here:

LOL. Grimaldis is NOT new york pizza, and it is garbage. I would eat Pizza hut over that dump and anyone who swears by Grimaldis does not know a thing about pizza.

Brooklyn is where you got to go. Best slice in town and its as close as u gonna get to back home.

Marios is decent if you want ny style pizza, but brooklyn is better and a little cheaper.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:59 AM

100 posts, read 182,319 times
I'm going to pipe in since I'm from NJ and grew up eating Jersey/NYC/Philly pizza.

You will not find anywhere in Tucson (or Arizona) that is as good as back home. Close, yes, but not quite as good. Here are a few that are close, but don't be surprised if you are still disappointed!

New York Pizza
Brooklyn Pizza
Rockin Pizza - although I think it's called Mia Pizza now and I haven't tried it since the name change.

There's another one that I can't think of the name of. I'll post if I remember.

Magpies is nothing like NYC pizza. It's pretty good though.

I just came back from Italy and I must say, the pizza was good, but I still prefer a NYC pie!

I really do think there is something about the water that makes difference. I've read a few articles about different bread companies in Newark that can't produce the same tasting bread elsewhere. Also, Boars Head at one time tried to duplicate the same taste in their meats and ended up shipping the water from NYC in order to keep the taste the same. The same is true of Boudin in San Francisco. They couldn't make their bread anywhere else. It's all those pollutants in the water!

Old 06-24-2010, 01:13 PM

42,846 posts, read 53,342,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A. View Post
I really do think there is something about the water that makes difference.
It's possible. I've noticed how the same coffee, with the same creamer tastes different in different places depending on the water (tap water).

The water seems to be different in various parts of town here, too. I was fine with the water in all places I lived before, but I don't like it in my current house. I put a filter on the shower I use and it still turns my hair to hell!

Old 06-24-2010, 01:17 PM

380 posts, read 590,446 times
i loved brooklyn--thought magpie's was a joke. loved blondie's in berkeley, also.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:23 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,383,505 times
How about No Anchovies for a quick slice? Granted, it can get a little crunchy crispy sometimes. I ask because the view is better than Brooklyn, but I prefer the pizza at Brooklyn over NA.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:23 PM

61 posts, read 89,691 times
I vote for Oregano's!

Old 06-25-2010, 05:51 PM

602 posts, read 1,237,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmt247 View Post
Queens New York representative here:

LOL. Grimaldis is NOT new york pizza, and it is garbage. I would eat Pizza hut over that dump and anyone who swears by Grimaldis does not know a thing about pizza.

Brooklyn is where you got to go. Best slice in town and its as close as u gonna get to back home.

Marios is decent if you want ny style pizza, but brooklyn is better and a little cheaper.
The original Grimaldi's is at the foot of the Brooklyn bridge and is renowned for its great pizza. The place is among the best in the city.

Your being a New Yorker is well and fine, and your likes and opinions are just as valid as anyone's, but no more so.

Pizza originated in Naples. Pizza in New York was done in the Neapolitan style, with permutations at this point, but to my taste buds (and I've lived in Naples), Grimaldi's makes it in the Neapolitan style, and they do it well. Not as good as in Naples, but a good facsimile. If you think Mario's is a good example of pizza, your likes and mine are miles apart. I tried that once and would never go back. Mario's was truly hot garbage.

A Full Belly: New York Pizza, Part I

Grimaldi's Pizzeria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by azhiker; 06-25-2010 at 06:10 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 06:25 PM

100 posts, read 182,319 times
I have friends that think Blackjack Pizza, Papa John's Pizza and Pizza Hut are great. I think they are disgusting and I'd only eat their pizza if I was starving and had no other choice! It's all a matter of personal preference and what you grew up eating.

I do miss a really good white pizza, though. You can find white pizza out here, but nobody makes one very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson