U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-12-2009, 07:27 PM

836 posts, read 836,946 times

Advertisements

If ever there was a live example of how bad Tucson's city management is, this has to be it!

If anyone on this forum works with the City of Tucson or AZDOT, you may want to take a look at moving this web cams location. Currently, it allows the public to log onto the website and control the camera while looking directly into the North side of the new apartments at One North Fifth. If you log on at night there is an hour long wait to control the camera and people are just zooming in and out of peoples apartments.

I don't live in those apartments, but I think it is kind of creepy that people are watching the residents constantly. Also, if the City of Tucson wants to encourage people to move downtown, stuff like this is not going to help their cause! Web cams are fine, but web cams that zoom directly into people's apartments and give close up views of their activities are weird. They need to fix this.

Anyone know if there are equally invasive cameras in the Phoenix downtown area?!!

Here is the website:

TransView.org - 4th Avenue Construction Web Cam
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 08:50 PM

1,046 posts, read 2,075,901 times
The people in the lower left corner apt. have an elliptical machine and a treadmill.

They should really block the zoom on the apt.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:52 PM
wng

72 posts, read 161,051 times

Old 03-13-2009, 09:20 AM

836 posts, read 836,946 times
It's really quite amazing that the government would allow the public to control a webcam over the internet that can zoom into peoples bedrooms, kitchens and living rooms. I wonder how much money AZDOT spent installing these robotic cameras. What was the purpose?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:13 PM

430 posts, read 946,369 times
Default that is really bad

I saw two guys outside the patio having a cigarette, I wonder if they have a clue they were on cam? I would not live there with a camera tracking my home.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:30 PM

219 posts, read 486,858 times
Leave it to the Goverment, WoW!

Old 03-15-2009, 05:12 PM

13 posts, read 49,714 times
Looks like they got enough complaints and shut down the cam access.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:16 PM

3,539 posts, read 3,143,340 times
Every hotel on the Pacific side of the Hawaiian Islands have several of those controllable Java cams n their buildings. We even had fun with our daughter and grandchildren. Before we left for Kona, we showed them the camera from their house in OK, and we agreed on a time and a place we would be. Well, at the annointed time, they turned on their computers, and we all used our cell phones, and the grandkids could see us and wave to us, and we could all talk from 5000 miles away. It was wonderful. They could follow us walking around, going to the pool, seeing the manta rays. It was wonderful. But, again, that's when the cameras are used for good and not for deceptive purposes. All I know is that 4 little kids from OK got to see Grammie and Grandpa in Hawaii, and see whales, and all other kinds of fun things. Just a different perspective.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 AM

16,034 posts, read 13,949,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Every hotel on the Pacific side of the Hawaiian Islands have several of those controllable Java cams n their buildings. We even had fun with our daughter and grandchildren. Before we left for Kona, we showed them the camera from their house in OK, and we agreed on a time and a place we would be. Well, at the annointed time, they turned on their computers, and we all used our cell phones, and the grandkids could see us and wave to us, and we could all talk from 5000 miles away. It was wonderful. They could follow us walking around, going to the pool, seeing the manta rays. It was wonderful. But, again, that's when the cameras are used for good and not for deceptive purposes. All I know is that 4 little kids from OK got to see Grammie and Grandpa in Hawaii, and see whales, and all other kinds of fun things. Just a different perspective.
Yup, been there. Done that very thing.
My favorite "still" webcam is the one at the Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort (where we once stayed) in French Polynesia. Very, very cool.

Pearl Resorts - Live Webcam on Bora Bora - French Polynesia

Another fun webcam is the one on Waikiki (it has background music to get you into that tropical mood). One after another (nearly all day long) folks line up at that camera to wave to the folks back home.

DTS--Live Images, City and County of Honolulu, Hawaii

Ken

Old 03-20-2009, 11:50 AM

123 posts, read 327,578 times
All this whoop-la over something so simple and stupid. Ah...the cam was there first, I remember going on it in 2004, The apartment complex second. I'd say they will put the cam in another place after everything is done, don't you? Imagine the government has satellites that can see a guy picking his nose in the most remote places in the wilderness, But yeah go ahead and bust Tucson's chops over this lil camera. Kinda funny how everyone is complaining about this camera are probably the ones spending endless hours at night 'Watching' the people in the apts.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson