Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:44 AM

6 posts, read 18,353 times

Advertisements

I am house shopping in Oro Valley and am considering a house with a small pool vs a home in a community with a pool? Is the maintenance of a pool an issue, what typically might the monthly expense be and what are the hassles I might not be aware of? Is pebbletech the way to go? All thoughts on the subject are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 11:05 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
I would NEVER own a pool myself if I had access to one in a community. (I don't have a pool now, and also don't have a community pool). I think people think they will use a pool more than they actually do. The house next door to me had a pool put in by the original owners, who ended up not using it all that much. They sold it to a couple that did use it quite a bit, now the present owners don't use it much at all. For the electricity, the water, the chemicals, and the leaks/breakdowns that occur, to my mind you have to really use it to make having your own worth it.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:18 PM

40 posts, read 120,190 times
Pebbletech looks great, but if you use an automated creepy-crawly for regular cleaning, it doesn't work as well as it would on a smooth surface. My friend, who redid his pool with Pebbletech, now has light patches of algae growing in certain spots where it's hard to clean. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:21 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomatoTucson View Post
I am house shopping in Oro Valley and am considering a house with a small pool vs a home in a community with a pool? Is the maintenance of a pool an issue, what typically might the monthly expense be and what are the hassles I might not be aware of? Is pebbletech the way to go? All thoughts on the subject are welcome.
Owning a POOL is similar to owning a BOAT, Tacoma!

You are happy when you buy one but you are even happier when you sell it.

Pools are lots of fun but also lots of work and expense plus an "attractive" nuisance.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:13 AM

207 posts, read 548,708 times
Default Scrub a dub

I have a 13K gallon inground... out where the wind blows. It's skimmed and vac'd daily... (by hand)... by me. It's not something you can just ignore or a once in awhile. It's daily... or at least every other day (depends on the wind). The wind blows sand... and I have 6 rather large palm trees... and stuff blows off or them. Plus... it's the biggest insect trap in the area. Now 'n then... after a rain... the little toads get into it. They drown and have to be skimmed.

If I had to do it over again... I would have opted out for the pool. It's constant work to keep clean. Somethin' like 200 hours of maint for every hour of use.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:22 AM

6 posts, read 18,353 times
Thanks for the replies. I did a broader search on this site (I'm a newbie) and found similiar postings, the pros and cons, matters of lifestyle and preferences. As with most things its different strokes for different folks. However, it does help to have these considerations in mind before I decide on a house or community. And I don't even know yet if I will move to Oro Valley fulltime or keep my place in the Pacific Northwest to return to during the hottest months. I do like the heat of the Southwest and have found when I stayed there that taking a dip in the pool around 3:00 in the afternoon was a great way to cool down. Thanks for your thoughts, my wheels are turning.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 6,329 times
Default Pool Ownership

Agree with .45acp and the others who say nay on the pool. Just go to a neighbors or the community pool unless you are a lap swimmer. They really are just a money pit.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
I have a 13K gallon inground... out where the wind blows. It's skimmed and vac'd daily... (by hand)... by me. It's not something you can just ignore or a once in awhile. It's daily... or at least every other day (depends on the wind). The wind blows sand... and I have 6 rather large palm trees... and stuff blows off or them. Plus... it's the biggest insect trap in the area. Now 'n then... after a rain... the little toads get into it. They drown and have to be skimmed.
Every single one of those negatives can be completely cured by three little words: automatic pool cover. You can see examples of what I'm talking about here: Coverstar - Photo Gallery (http://www.coverstar.com/Gallery/gallery.aspx - broken link)

I do a little light cleaning on my pool maybe once a month, whether it needs it or not. There's nothing like pressing a button to open your pool cover, and seeing a sparkling clean pool every time.

Some positives to having your own pool.

* You get to use it whenever you want. Community pools have hours you can use them, not to mention regulations, etc. It cannot be compared to being able to simply walk out your back door and dive in. There's no way you're going to use a community pool as much as your own.

* Eye candy. We'll open our pool cover and just sit in the backyard and look at it. It's that pretty. We'll turn on the water features for some soothing water sounds as well.

* Privacy. Skinny dipping at night! Plus you never have to worry about who's peeing or pooping in your pool.

Honestly, we wouldn't want to live in AZ without a pool, now that we have one. Pool time is family bonding time, and the best part of our day.

I will say having the automatic pool cover makes such a huge difference that I might not be as gung-ho on having a pool if we didn't have that. Our neighbors don't have the cover, but they have a weekly pool service. That works too.

Last edited by kdog; 04-24-2009 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-24-2009, 02:34 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
Right on KDog!

We don't have to use the pool to enjoy it. That's where we "hang out". Folks come over for dinner and we always end up by the pool whether we're swimmin' or not...

It's the place to be, well worth the cost and effort.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:30 AM

20 posts, read 96,303 times
Kdog, I don't own a pool or a house yet actually...but I am considering looking for a house with a pool...the pool covers you mentioned sound interesting, but how much do they normally cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson